• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Billionaire style

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
It would be a bit hard to provide sources since it is from my experience interacting with Chinese people. And they are not referring to the Local Dialect, they are if translated literally it would be something like "Jin Nose" or "Jin Throat." It is about their accent when they speak standardized mandrain. It like someone saying French accented English sounds the best. French is its own lanaguge, but french speakers impart their accent when they speak English. I speak Taiwanese Mandarin, and I occasional get teased by associates in China when I am over for business. I was never compliemented on my better sounding Mandarin.
smile.gif

Ahh... I get it. But I have a weird suspicion that it is not Jin but Jing.... as in Beijing... 京声,京腔, which then I would agree with.

Onlyoneoklahoma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I love London cabbies... They're such ignorant wankers... I just blanked them them when they try to speak to me.
****'s and men who don't drink real beer should just be sent back to Afrikkka, amirite? Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
HermesMan is back? I thought you were an enigma

I have grown to like Hermes Man. He offers a Ying perspective on clothing when most of us are Yang. Makes life a little more interesting.

yoshii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I have grown to like Hermes Man. He offers a Ying perspective on clothing when most of us are Yang. Makes life a little more interesting.

he provides amusement (although not intentionally i would think), which makes life a little more...amusing
smile.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Which region would you call it "the rednecks of China"?
Everywhere. (0) I guess you could say guang dong, because a lot of the peasants here can't speak standard Chinese- they'll speak it with a thick Cantonese accent and use about 50/50 Mandarin/Cantonese vocabulary. Ex. "Lei si bu si mei gou yan?" (你是不是美国人?) or "yao bu yao yin sui gou ji?" (要不要喝水果汁?)
Originally Posted by linsook
You must have spoken to a lot of Chinese people then. Its funny they would say that given that how mandarin is spoken in the south and how it is spoken in Taiwan is not discernable, ignoring regional slang and poorly spoken mandarin(hk/gz).
Taiwanese Mandarin and Southern Mandarin are extremely discernible. It isn't just the s/sh z/zh sounds, but the cleanness of the pronunciation and the way they speak is different. My Taiwanese friend often has to repeat himself several times to people here, and they always ask him "你是台湾人,是吧? 你的中文很标砖!” But that's basically what you said anyway about poorly spoken/adulterated mandarin, which is my point- Taiwanese Mandarin is considered more "pure" and correct than the Mandarin heard in provinces of China.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

He is my favourite online pal. It is so entertaining reading his post.

I like it!

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
I did just find this abomination on Burberry's UK site:-
http://uk.burberry.com/store/menswea...-cotton-shirt/
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Haha, that's great! I'm way too cheap to buy it, but I love it, especially the "bramble" color.
Also, he's totally honest with himself and everybody else as to the reasons why he likes nice clothing.

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Everywhere. (0) I guess you could say guang dong, because a lot of the peasants here can't speak standard Chinese- they'll speak it with a thick Cantonese accent and use about 50/50 Mandarin/Cantonese vocabulary. Ex. "Lei si bu si mei gou yan?" (你是不是美国人?) or "yao bu yao yin sui gou ji?" (要不要喝水果汁?) Taiwanese Mandarin and Southern Mandarin are extremely discernible. It isn't just the s/sh z/zh sounds, but the cleanness of the pronunciation and the way they speak is different. My Taiwanese friend often has to repeat himself several times to people here, and they always ask him "你是台湾人,是吧? 你的中文很标砖!” But that's basically what you said anyway about poorly spoken/adulterated mandarin, which is my point- Taiwanese Mandarin is considered more "pure" and correct than the Mandarin heard in provinces of China.
Its apparent your views are heavily influenced by where you currently are. I'm assuming in Guangdong somewhere. China, has over 20 provinces. the south consists of more than just GD. Could you explain how anyone who speaks Mandarn fluently and properly but not standard(s/sh, z/zh), would say the Taiwanese speak better or more 'Pure', when in fact they are both exactly the same? I would also dare to say, nobody in the northern areas including provinces just outside of GD would ever say that the Taiwanese speak more 'Pure'. JamesX actually brought up an interesting fact earlier. One that I find many do not know. The standard set for spoken Mandarin Chinese, by the PRC and ROC, for their respective territories are the same. Time to actually travel around China my friend. One thing you must come to realize is that you can't have a wide sweeping brush and paint the whole of China with the same opinion or annecdotal evidence you find in just 1 small area. It doesn't work. ps: 你是台湾人,是吧? 你的中文很标砖. its 标准 not 砖。 You know, that phrase is funny... its like the speakers expectation of taiwanese mandarin is so low that they are surprised that that person spoke so well. lol

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
People in Beijing said that. I have a creeping feeling that you're Chinese so I'm going to stop talking to you now.

linsook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
People in Beijing said that. I have a creeping feeling that you're Chinese so I'm going to stop talking to you now.

I'm Canadian, born and raised. A son to Cantonese parents. Studied, worked and lived in Beijing.

alphaO888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by linsook
Its apparent your views are heavily influenced by where you currently are. I'm assuming in Guangdong somewhere. China, has over 20 provinces. the south consists of more than just GD. Could you explain how anyone who speaks Mandarn fluently and properly but not standard(s/sh, z/zh), would say the Taiwanese speak better or more 'Pure', when in fact they are both exactly the same? I would also dare to say, nobody in the northern areas including provinces just outside of GD would ever say that the Taiwanese speak more 'Pure'.

JamesX actually brought up an interesting fact earlier. One that I find many do not know. The standard set for spoken Mandarin Chinese, by the PRC and ROC, for their respective territories are the same.

Time to actually travel around China my friend. One thing you must come to realize is that you can't have a wide sweeping brush and paint the whole of China with the same opinion or annecdotal evidence you find in just 1 small area. It doesn't work.

ps: 你是台湾人,是吧? 你的中文很标砖. its 标准 not 砖。 You know, that phrase is funny... its like the speakers expectation of taiwanese mandarin is so low that they are surprised that that person spoke so well. lol

+1

Taiwanese mandarin is horrible (and I'm American/Taiwanese)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mafgd