• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The tie is awful.

It's not even close to conservative business dress as defined on the interwebs.

I think I need some help as to the boundaries of this thread.

I thought you had established this was seven continent conservative business dress not purely US conservative business dress?

Whilst I realised classic Liberty print's aren't to everybody's taste from an English point of view I can't see how it's not conservative:

The fabric design dates back to the 1880's
Liberty prints have been used on gentleman's ties for over 100 years.
The colours are pretty muted for a Liberty print.
It would not cause offence in a London office where loafers or brown shoes would still be regarded as a faux pas.
Liberty are part of the establishment here - hardly avant garde
smile.gif

I've no wish to step over the boundaries of the thread, but I seem to be struggling as to how international conservative business dress is defined on the interwebs.

If the remit of the thread is limited to nothing that would be out of place in an American accountacy firm then I'm happy trying to conform to that, but I clarification would be helpful
smile.gif

CaymanS

Reaction score
Mitt Romney is always conservative business dress fly. No pocket square, but I don't know of any president/president hopeful who's ventured into PS territory since Ronny.

2w4dd7

3clr6qj

3bgkkcw

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I thought you had established this was seven continent conservative business dress not purely US conservative business dress?

Yeah, but it's a mix of that plus SF groupthink.

I am interested to read/see more about what flies and what does not in other environments. Your discussions on English shoe culture I find very useful.

However, things that I think are simply ugly and/or defy SF groupthink (I strive to make these categories overlap as much as possible) I am not so interested in.

conservative business dress is not as simple as people think. It's not just a matter of what's acceptable in a given mileau. It's also a matter of what looks to good to us iGents. "Internationally classic" might capture it. Or, another acronym might be TITFDYB (Tone it the *&^% down you bastards!).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think that would look great with a solid blue shirt. I like the tattersal just not with that tie.

spoozy

Reaction score
Maybe i get banned from posting on SF, but for Woostgod´s sake, the first pictures of your fits are alyways shite...i can´t barely tell if it´s a db or 2b suit, Manton. Can you take more seconds/thirds/fourths and less firsts?

Rest is eye-candy, though. Loads to learn here.

quar

Reaction score
Manton: Is that Bengal-Stripe shirt a linen-cotton blend, or is the camera just playing tricks?

MOK:Where do you get your suiting from? The fabrics and features (hacking pockets, etc.) screams of department-store mass production to me. This might sound like a really douche-bag thing to say, but I rarely find that your clothing is in good-taste. That coming from a guy who never posts himself is pretty rich, I know. I think that a lot of members here have so many clothes (such as NYR), and I wonder why that don't go for less items, of better quality. I would rather have 5 suits from someone like NSM or Chan, then 15 suits from a maker who charges the 1/3rd of the price, and produces a less attractive style of garment. I don't know, I feel that SF'ers often go for quantity over quality.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
Manton: Is that Bengal-Stripe shirt a linen-cotton blend, or is the camera just playing tricks? MOK:Where do you get your suiting from? The fabrics and features (hacking pockets, etc.) screams of department-store mass production to me. This might sound like a really douche-bag thing to say, but I rarely find that your clothing is in good-taste. That coming from a guy who never posts himself is pretty rich, I know. I think that a lot of members here have so many clothes (such as NYR), and I wonder why that don't go for less items, of better quality. I would rather have 5 suits from someone like NSM or Chan, then 15 suits from a maker who charges the 1/3rd of the price, and produces a less attractive style of garment. I don't know, I feel that SF'ers often go for quantity over quality.
I don't think I have ever agreed less with a post here.

quar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
+1. quar, you know NYR's stuff is mostly bespoke, right? And happens to fit him perfectly?
Yes. I know that he does get most of his stuff from a NY Tailor, his name is Frank "Something" from memory. He was a bad example. I agree that his clothing fits him well. The style of the clothing (shoulders and chest) isn't in line with what I like, which is not something I can fault him on. It's not something I can put my finger on, but his clothing (to me) lacks the 'high-end' look that some of the other members here achieve (oldog, Manton, gdl203, edmorel, NOBD, whnay). I am neither smart enough or know enough about clothing to justify that last comment, but that is just an observation from me. If I saw MOK or NYR walking down the street, I doubt I would notice their clothing from the other stuff I see on a typical Australian city-street. MOK's clothing to me, looks like the same stuff you can buy in any Department Store here in Australia. It just looks cheap, flashy (skinny lapels, one-button, short jacket) and in poor-taste to me. As a matter of interest, I received 2 PM's in the last 15 minutes from people who support my earlier post. It has reinforced the idea in my mind that some SF'ers continue to make poor stylistic options (from the SF Groupthink POV) just because it is too awkward to post negative comments in threads such as these. I know I am going to get ragged on for this, but I just don't care at this point. Some things here are just plain ugly in my opinion, such as MOK's lilac contrast-collared shirt. To me, that is absolutely in bad taste, regardless of whether it's conservative business dress or not in the UK, and I'm sure most here would agree - but no-one actually chimes in to give him feedback about it.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quar
Yes. I know that he does get most of his stuff from a NY Tailor, his name is Frank "Something" from memory. He was a bad example. I agree that his clothing fits him well. The style of the clothing (shoulders and chest) isn't in line with what I like, which is not something I can fault him on. It's not something I can put my finger on, but his clothing (to me) lacks the 'high-end' look that some of the other members here achieve (oldog, Manton, gdl203, edmorel, NOBD, whnay). I am neither smart enough or know enough about clothing to justify that last comment, but that is just an observation from me. If I saw MOK or NYR walking down the street, I doubt I would notice their clothing from the other stuff I see on a typical Australian city-street. MOK's clothing to me, looks like the same stuff you can buy in any Department Store here in Australia. It just looks cheap, flashy (skinny lapels, one-button, short jacket) and in poor-taste to me.

As a matter of interest, I received 2 PM's in the last 15 minutes from people who support my earlier post. It has reinforced the idea in my mind that some SF'ers continue to make poor stylistic options (from the SF Groupthink POV) just because it is too awkward to post negative comments in threads such as these. I know I am going to get ragged on for this, but I just don't care at this point. Some things here are just plain ugly in my opinion, such as MOK's lilac contrast-collared shirt. To me, that is absolutely in bad taste, regardless of whether it's conservative business dress or not in the UK, and I'm sure most here would agree - but no-one actually chimes in to give him feedback about it.

Hahaha! You guys need to get a grip.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member