• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Erg mooi. Straks zijn je fits net zo saai als de mijne.
devil.gif

Hehe. Zijn ze altijd al geweest hoor.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Glad* I could help, CG. Great jacket and outfit.

*Am I the last person on earth using that word?

You're not and I'm glad you had a solution.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
All work wonderfully with the stunning coat. Bravo!

Thanks- And thanks MoK (You're looking svelt, friend!).

CK

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brief comments, as this thread is moving too fast for me...

Originally Posted by MBreinin
Sack Attack!!!

Vintage Brooks Sack
Polo OCBD
Vintage Brooks Bow
Vintage Florsheim Imperials in Shell.

Have a good one!

Mike

Fit's the brief well, but I prefer your softer bows.

Originally Posted by TTO
-TTO
I think this would work better with spectators.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
How does Spoo do trad?
*totally kidding, this is not an entry and I love you guys.

Fit's well, but not feeling the colour combo.
Originally Posted by ndw
Not bad, but I think you could get the SC slimmed a little.
Originally Posted by PandArts
Sorry gents...nothing Trad from me
confused.gif

I like brown ties with pink, but not this one (I think it's the lighter tone that feels off).
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Maybe, though it is the same size as other SF-approved fits. Could be the cotton fabric making it scrunchie.
You could be right, or it might just be the pose.
Originally Posted by AlanC
Tradtastic!
I'm glad you didn't go the obvious route and I like the sweater, but when you add the scarf there's too much bulk.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
I am dressing in the spirit of the challenge today, but this is NOT an official entry. Spoo, please don't include me in the poal--lest I be open to accusations of slanting things in my favor.
smile.gif

Not bad.
Originally Posted by in stitches
Trad is def not my thing, as a matter of I don't think I have ever tried it before. Thanks to the Friday Challenge I am giving it a whirl. I grabbed everything Brooks Brothers I could find, a little seersucker I feel spring coming, and this is what i came up with. Big O, I hope is at least close to Trad.
My strong dislike for zip-up sweaters probably disqualifies me from giving any objective feedback. The same colour in a button up cardigan could look great.
Originally Posted by meblJ
Fit looks decent from what I can see.

Originally Posted by Fred49
suit Tom Mahon
shirt Freddy V
tie Lucy Adams
shoes Cleverley
ps ASW

Good.
Blazer - MTM from English-American in Westminster, MD
Pocket Square - Paul Stewart
Oatmeal gingham shirt - Ralph Lauren Polo
Chocolate brown cords - Ditto
Shoes - Alden

Yes combining is decent, but the pose makes judging fit tricky...
Originally Posted by niidawg3
this is the MoK i remember from back in May 2009 when i joined SF. i know most people think i prefer only the natural shoulder look, but on you, i think it works better. most of the structured shoulder suits, especially the MTM ones you recently acquired accentuate your shoulder issues rather than hide them.

this works great on you man. congrats on the weight loss too.

Thanks I like the stronger shouldered aesthetic, but I agree the MTM ones were a relatively costly step too far in the structured direction (actually think it's the extension as much as the structure). I don't think they could cost effectively be adjusted down, and it's largely academic given the complete abscence of tailors locally... I guess I shall live with them as part of the learning curve. I'm going to stick to RTW until I can afford a reasonable bespoke suit or two.

I'm much more confident with sportscoats and 'English country' dressing than I am with suits - probably because a) pattern and colour can come to the fore where I think I've largely found the right balance between interesting and clownish and b) reasonable fits are available at reasonable prices in RTW.

"In the US, it is a well-established and I believe very Trad thing to wear Brooks Bros. Alden tassel loafers with suits."

Crusty's right about that. A good argument against Trad by the way.

biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Thin White Duke
Never done Trad before, here's my shot:

BB cotton sack blazer
Tyrwhitt tie
Bachrach shirt (sorry I hate button downs! Does that DQ me?)
J Press PS
BB Milano chinos
Florsheim bucks

Needs a non-red tie with the red chinos.
Originally Posted by Philip1978
MoK, nice to have you back as a regular poster. I think you did quite well with today's look.
Thanks - it wasn't really trad.
I'm not sure how regular I'll be, time constraints seem to get more pressing, and I'm enjoying trying to sort out my weekend/holiday wardrobe over on SW&D. I'll definitely be popping back from time to time.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
especially in February ... i hope its blazing sunny in the UK right now

laugh.gif
smile.gif

It's March in the UK at least :LOL:

A nice sunny spring day in Kent at least
smile.gif

Originally Posted by aeglus
also bright red isn't really trad
also orange ties own with nantucket red:

Best red pant look today, although I'd have liked a front shot.

Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
Well done, your lordship
:LOL:

I sometimes think this forum could do with more boring stuff that fits fine... Do take the point though.
Having been back for a week I get your point too
wink.gif

Awesome. Classic MoK.
Thanks - I probably should save posting until I'm pretty happy with a fit.
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Don't have any trad, and wasn't going to post today, but I just liked this picture. Trying out posing by OPV (other people's vehicles) like Mr. Nii.
smile.gif

Not bad.
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Wake up. Drink some Peets. Get my Thurston on.

I like this fit.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments so far guys. A few of you have mentioned my color combo is off today, but I'd like to know a little bit more why. I actually thought it was a bit too matchy, not off. Could someone who has commented (or agrees) expand a bit more? Not about fit, preference or selection, just the color. For reference, this pic is most accurate : pants are dark charcoal grey, sc deep plum, shirt blue with Bordeaux stripes, and tie is a brighter purple with white dots.
b0464c6f.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments so far guys. A few of you have mentioned my color combo is off today, but I'd like to know a little bit more why. I actually thought it was a bit too matchy, not off. Could someone who has commented (or agrees) expand a bit more? Not about fit, preference or selection, just the color. For reference, this pic is most accurate : pants are dark charcoal grey, sc deep plum, shirt blue with Bordeaux stripes, and tie is a brighter purple with white dots.

My 2c worth - not enough contrast between the pants and SC. Shirt doesn't work with the tie. PS didn't look right eiither. Sorry!

I think if the pants were a shade lighter and you'd gone for a white shirt all would be good.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wddhvglenplaidencoltrui.jpg

This is a great example of why I can't wait to get myself a good pair of brown suede chukkas/loafers. Great look. I can't pull off a turtleneck if you put a $5000 bill in front of my face, but the rest is awesome.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Sack Attack!!!

Vintage Brooks Sack
Polo OCBD
Vintage Brooks Bow
Vintage Florsheim Imperials in Shell.

Have a good one!

Mike

SackItToYa5.JPG

mcd_lovin_it__clr%255B1%255D.jpg

banis

Reaction score
Can this be somehow considered as a Trad attire?
It is not what I was actually wearing today. Maybe from a couple of weeks ago.
172504--40090923-m750x740-u5c634.jpg

172504--40056919-m750x740-u7f499.jpg

3-patch navy jacket without the front dart with white MOP buttons (don't know whether it maybe called sack)
BB OCBD NOS
Panta repp tie
Uniqlo chinos rolled-up
Carmina shell monkstrap

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Kaplan. See edit with open jacket.

I saw it, but was just too lazy and quoted MoK's post
blush.gif
- what I meant was it does look better.

I've come to feel that sport coats worn casually often look better open.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
My 2c worth - not enough contrast between the pants and SC. Shirt doesn't work with the tie. PS didn't look right eiither. Sorry!

I think if the pants were a shade lighter and you'd gone for a white shirt all would be good.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. Shirt stripe, tie and SC all too similar and not enough contrast between SC and pants. FWIW - I normally don't overthink my comments and tend to just go with my gut reaction and the similarities in all the colors here just doesn't appear in harmony to my eye. Cheers

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just now noticed that you're wearing MY SUIT! I have the exact same RLBL mini-houndstooth. Didn't recognize it at first.
It's a Boglioli.
smile.gif
But I like the comparison.
Originally Posted by tshaw
Dear, Ace - wld love to know what pieces were played for such a mixture...Sounds like a great night out and you looked great as well. Congrats! Tchaikovsky + Shakespeare + Dudamel + Orlando Bloom + LA Philharmonic =
nest.gif

Indeed, it was a lovely evening. Dudamel was conducting Hamlet, Tempest and Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky; each piece was preceded by short parts from the corresponding Shakespeare plays played by Orlando Bloom, Malcolm McDowell and a couple more semi-famous actors. I believe they mentioned that the Sunday show will be broadcast live on TV. I'd recommend watching it if you can find the time!
Originally Posted by jwmbro
Okay, going at this as a double outsider. Here's my take as both a neophyte who is fairly clueless about men's fashion, and as a European, who doesn't encounter trad locally. By all means don't hold back with criticism, having read the "glory days" thread, I feel I should state I am looking to learn, and can take harsh criticism (which is probably very appropriate if anybody is willing to give it to me, but you gotta start somewhere).
That would be so much better with well-fitting pants and a different pocket square.
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Not being an American I don't really do Trad. Still to semi-show willing as Trad is basically bastardized English Countrywear, I wore that instead
fight[1].gif

20110311_detail.jpg
20110311_main.jpg
20110311_shoes.jpg
For those that care (nothing very special): Shoes: Grenson Rose 'Radley', Uniqlo checked cords, Brook Taverner doeskin vest, BT/Robert Noble SC, Baulmer shirt, Fumagalli Tie, Hardy Amies PS

Ahhh, most lovely!
NO Trad. Variation on a Theme
[/spoiler]

Those shoes are amazing! What are they? The whole look is very nice and very you.
worship.gif
How does Spoo do trad?
ae217cf5.jpg
3a367e58.jpg
b0464c6f.jpg
In a goddamn peak lapel purple corduroy jacket with crystal bug cufflinks you bitches!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
*totally kidding, this is not an entry and I love you guys. *scuse the mess in the kids room- Mrs. Spoo is on another European gig, so I'm left to my own devices, which don't include picking up toys or a proficient knowledge of my self timer app.
ffffuuuu.gif
[/spoiler]

The tie is
drool.gif
. Very nice!
Originally Posted by TTO
Tra(d)gedy [/spoiler] -TTO
This is amazing! Thank you for these photos.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
I am dressing in the spirit of the challenge today, but this is NOT an official entry. Spoo, please don't include me in the poal--lest I be open to accusations of slanting things in my favor.
smile.gif
DSCF7300.jpg
DSCF7302.jpg
DSCF7304.jpg
BB 3/2 sack 3-patch blazer BB OCBD J Press wool tartan tie BB khakis, turned up Target argyle socks Nettleton shell tassel loafers
You win.
Originally Posted by Fred49
suit Tom Mahon
shirt Freddy V tie Lucy Adams shoes Cleverley ps ASW
fred11close.gif
fred11tom.gif
The suit color is
inlove.gif
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Steps 1-3: Wake up. Drink some Peets. Get my Thurston on.
P1070163.jpg
Step 4-?: Sit out tsunami warning
ffffuuuu.gif
P1070199.jpg
worship.gif
That would be a win if you went sans socks.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Whole World Has To Answer Right Now Just To Tell You Once Again...Who's Trad?

005.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.