• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike540

Reaction score
@AlanC blue tie second from the right is sweet.

I've been slacking lately, not getting out much. Tomorrowstars NWT Hermes ties fired me up. We're in the same city, I thought I'd better head out and see if he missed any! He didn't
laugh.gif

Still a great night. Hit 4 stores. Nothing even remotely interesting in 3. At the 4th, my favourite store, I got off to a good start. Passed on a bunch of shirts (Pink, Boss, BB, Eton) that were a bit big for me. Even though I passed on them usually finding stuff like that is a sign that there may be more good things to come... there was.
Passed on a couple Canali and Zegna coats in the SC section. 2 clearly orphans another questionable. Got to the suit section. Grabbed a solid black Armani suit for $19. I was going to pass it by with a smug "I'm an SF member, I don't wear black suits" thought until I realized, "hey, I don't own a black suit, might be a good idea to have one for bury'ns an' such" Plus, it's Armani so chicks'll dig it. Anyway, a couple hangers further down I got one of those all too rare rushes as I put my hand on a nicely pick stitched, solid navy suit of obvious good quailty. Flipped open the lapel, yay, Brioni. Better still my size and in excellent shape. Even better still, $17.99.
brioni.jpg

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Ontario Peeps:

Picked up a few shirts my size by a company called Wellington & Walker (i believe) from Ontario. Any knowledge on quality etc. they seem well constructed, and for 4 bucks a pop if i get half a dozen wears out of them it was worth it.

amadar

Reaction score
passed on a finamore shirt in excellent condition today. Why? because it seriously looked like it was made for a 10 year old boy. Yet it was tagged a 42........very strange indeed.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matstyleku
A bust today. stopped at a place on the way home from work, passed on:

- A tailored by Nordstrom's Joseph Aboud Blue Loro Piana fabris suit. The color was nice and fit was pretty good, but not much hand work and fused. Was really tempted to pick this up because of the fit/color and the Loro Piana, thoughts?

- BB gray suit, size 41. Pretty nice but very big lapels made it look odd

- Older Drake's tie, navy with red pattern. Seemed wide

- Zegna, Zanella, Facconable, Armani, Valentino dress shirts.

i'd def pick up the Brooks suit, they're made really well, i have a brooks hand tailored suit i thrifted so nice. much nicer than an oxxford sport coat i passed up

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
Got this T&A tie and the leather box its sitting on for <$8. The tie required a little repair, stitching coming apart at the back, but I love the pattern. The box is my new shoe polishing kit. Perfect size. Cloth interior. Leather outside. Great stud closure.
imgp9595-1.jpg
Also picked up a Sulya trench coat with leather collar. Some stains though, so I'll have to see how it looks when I get it back from the dry cleaner.

951socal

Reaction score
Got this Last night ~boutique AKA lock under some case in a dusty thrift store it says authentic regimental tie, does anyone know what the parituclar colors/patterns mean? under the impression England uses real ones while out here we just use fake look likes (brooks brothes and the like ) $7.99 used but looks okay

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
Got this Last night
~boutique AKA lock under some case in a dusty thrift store

it says authentic regimental tie, does anyone know what the parituclar colors/patterns mean?

under the impression England uses real ones while out here we just use fake look likes (brooks brothes and the like )
$7.99 used but looks okay

In the British tradition, the colors and pattern of a tie will identify the wearer as a member of a certain club, alumnus of a particular university, or member of a specific military regiment. Wearing a tie like that in England if you don't have the right to is considered very bad form. Here, we don't care. A quick google search may identify the origins of your tie's pattern.

JKMWCL

Reaction score
PIcked up a lovely pair of AE McAlister's in burgundy that, unfortunately appear to be 1/2 size too small for me. :
plain.gif
They are 11 D. I'll get some pics up on here...the uppers are fantastic but there has been some work on the soles. The interior of the shoes are great as well. I'm going to try them on but if not, they'll go on B&S.

Also left Brioni, Gucci and Ferragamo ties that were all trashed :-(

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
I passed on this cool coat today, it looked pretty nice but they wanted $15 for the coat. Does anybody have any info about this brand?
35fe2ba3.jpg

ce614862.jpg

It's a Spanish dep't store chain, I visited the one in Lisbon--huge, and fairly lavish. For some reason, their coats seem to pop up in American thrift stores rather regularly, no idea why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy