• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping old etiquette rules alive

oldyogurt

Reaction score
2712977762_52dd174218.jpg
pretty much sums it up for me. no need to hold it for anyone more than a couple of seconds away.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by más_cerveza
This kind of nonsense always happens to me on the 6. When the train gets crowded (usually at Grand Central) I usually offer my seat to someone that looks like they need it. The other day I offered an elderly woman with a huge bag my seat and she gave me a dirty look. I guess she took it the wrong way but it's common courtesy.

That's why I hardly ever, ever sat on the 6, even when the car was nearly empty. It always gets full, and then what do you do. Also, it's a good way to avoid to avoid the homeless dudes and psychos who were always attracted to the seat right next to me.

Then there was the guy jerking off across the aisle on the Flushing-bound 7 out of Grand Central. When you're in the tunnel, you're more or less trapped for a few minutes. But that's another story.

oldyogurt

Reaction score
Yeah I do the exact same thing on the buses. I stand even if I want to sit. Avoids awkwardly giving up your seat, and there's as a physically fit male there's no reason for me to sit when there are people around who need the seat more.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by más_cerveza
This kind of nonsense always happens to me on the 6. When the train gets crowded (usually at Grand Central) I usually offer my seat to someone that looks like they need it. The other day I offered an elderly woman with a huge bag my seat and she gave me a dirty look. I guess she took it the wrong way but it's common courtesy.

You could just get up and let them take the seat if they like. You don't need to offer it to them.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Mitchelli
What a great thread. I am all for old fashioned etiquette, but even I agree some rules need updating. It's great seeing people applying modern logic to traditions that in some cases are hundreds of years old.
Agreed. Opening a door, etc. isn't a commentary on the status of women in today's society or anything of the sort, but a sign of good manners, I agree. Most women appreciate these gestures, although not in the work place, I think. Seem to me that it's the old logic associated with some gestures, and not the gestures themselves, that make some people (women, disabled, elderly, etc.) uncomfortable about accepting a good gesture, even although it was well meant. Then, I just had a visual of Angela Merkel, German Chancellor, sitting around a table discussing whatever at a conference with other leaders. She gets up to go to the bathroom. Suddenly, all discussion abruptly comes to a halt, the sound of scrambling chairs fills the room as everyone else around the table (all males) rise to their feet. Whole thing's captured by the news cameras, thus drawing the world's attention to the fact that she needs to go to the loo ... That said, HRM Elizabeth II expects these things of course, and judges-male or female-do, too
wink.gif

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
You could just get up and let them take the seat if they like. You don't need to offer it to them.

+1

The Mitchelli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
Agreed.

Opening a door, etc. isn't a commentary on the status of women in today's society or anything of the sort, but a sign of good manners, I agree. Most women appreciate these gestures, although not in the work place, I think. Seem to me that it's the old logic associated with some gestures, and not the gestures themselves, that make some people (women, disabled, elderly, etc.) uncomfortable about accepting a good gesture, even although it was well meant.

Then, I just had a visual of Angela Merkel, German Chancellor, sitting around a table discussing whatever at a conference with other leaders. She gets up to go to the bathroom. Suddenly, all discussion abruptly comes to a halt, the sound of scrambling chairs fills the room as everyone else around the table (all males) rise to their feet. Whole thing's captured by the news cameras, thus drawing the world's attention to the fact that she needs to go to the loo ...

That said, HRM Elizabeth II expects these things of course, and judges-male or female-do, too
wink.gif

As with all these things that could offend even when you are trying to do the right thing... 'Know your audience' and 'be aware of your environment'......

Unfortunately you can only do so much. There have been times when I have been a traditional gentleman, only to have a lady roll her eyes and mutter under her breath 'I can open my own doors... thank you!'.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with all these things that could offend even when you are trying to do the right thing... 'Know your audience' and 'be aware of your environment'......

Unfortunately you can only do so much. There have been times when I have been a traditional gentleman, only to have a lady roll her eyes and mutter under her breath 'I can open my own doors... thank you!'.

"*****".

Avocat

Reaction score
As with all these things that could offend even when you are trying to do the right thing... 'Know your audience' and 'be aware of your environment'...... Unfortunately you can only do so much. There have been times when I have been a traditional gentleman, only to have a lady roll her eyes and mutter under her breath 'I can open my own doors... thank you!'.
Once again, I concur with you wholeheartedly. Yes, there are some women (and disabled, elderly, etc.) who react this way. It is unfortunate. Some, to be sure, can as Intent says be rather rude about it; I'm sure everyone here has a horror story to share. I know that I sure do. Even in the case of the disabled: I once opened the door for a man in a wheel chair only to have him mutter, rather loudly, that he was perfectly capable of taking care of himself. I shrug these things off, remembering that some people, in responding in this way, aren't necessarily objecting to us personally, but to some 300 year old person who is long since gone and buried. Or, it could simply be the case that such individuals are simply unable to accept an act of kindness, or just have bad manners. It's an unfortunate thing, and not pleasant when it happens, indeed. Then, these are likely the very same people who are the first to complain about the lack of civility in today's world, etc. Meanwhile, I'm starting to notice in some places that there are women who are beginning to open doors for men and other women when out in public. I am not sure how you gentlemen feel about this, but I think it's wonderful, albeit somewhat different. (Though I admit to finding it hard sometimes to navigate who opens the door for whom in these cases, usually leaving it to whomever gets to the door first, resulting in a smile and always a bit of a chuckle if both parties arrive at the door simultaneously). I'm curious if anyone else here has noticed this and/or experienced the same thing, and if so what you think about it. That said, I am a firm believer that most women (and disabled, elderly, etc.) do actually appreciate a well-mannered gentleman, and especially when it comes to inter-personal relationships (like, in the case of women, dating and marriage). tl/DR: Most women appreciate a well-mannered gentleman, and wouldn't it be lovely if everyone could simply accept a good gesture for its own sake, without trying to read anything into it (or, at the very least, not be rude about it, I do agree).

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think being called "ma'am" is interpreted by a woman as an offhanded slight, implying that she looks old enough to be called "ma'am". But what are the alternatives - "Madam"?, "Lady"?, "You hot little piece of ass"? I'm guessing the last one would actually be considered flattering to many women. Let's all try it and report back on the results.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sigh. that's so "rhoda". of course they CAN. the question is whether they should HAVE to.

+ 1. I've never understood the "I can open the door myself argument." I know you can open the door, I'm not doing it because I don't think you can.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Telefonica
+ 1. I've never understood the "I can open the door myself argument." I know you can open the door, I'm not doing it because I don't think you can.

+100

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member