• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadlifts with lifting gloves

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmadha
I agree gloves are for wimps, but nobody on here mentioned how to correct your form so callouses do not form in the first place or at least minimally. Callouses occur when the barbell slides from the middle of you palm, where noobs grip the bar, to your fingers, where for pulling exercises, is the more natural location for the barbell. Minimize callus formation by griping the bar closer to the fingers than the palm and use chalk if your hands are sweaty.

regardless of how your grip is, you're gonna get calluses from deadlifting, it's simply part of pulling heavy weight off of the floor with your hands

everyone should keep their calluses in check, though, with a pedegg or a pumice stone, to prevent them from tearing off when they get too bad

bloody holes in your hands usually means you can't grip anything for quite awhile~

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if your callouses get too big you can soak your hands in warm water and cut them off with a razer blade. they shouldnt rip if they arent too big.

file them down with a nail file or something.

also, chalk and wraps serve different purposes. chalk stops you from slipping when your sweaty. wraps let your lift more when your grip is the limiting factor. neither will stop callouses.

it sounds like you have a lot to learn. go and hit up some of the powerlifting or weightlifting forums - but just read, dont post.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here, a nice DL grip for your consideration.

deadlift-proper-grip.jpg

Chalk up when necessary, man up and you're ready!

Then again, if calluses are your only concern while lifting, maybe deads just aren't for you... I mean, deadlifts hard and they make you hurt.
Like hell. But that's how you get stronger.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Here, a nice DL grip for your consideration.

deadlift-proper-grip.jpg

Chalk up when necessary, man up and you're ready!

Then again, if calluses are your only concern while lifting, maybe deads just aren't for you... I mean, they're hard and they make you hurt.
Like hell. But that's how you get stronger.

My calluses have never hurt. They might be a nuisance and require picking off, but they're just hardened dead skin - no?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
if your callouses get too big you can soak your hands in warm water and cut them off with a razer blade. they shouldnt rip if they arent too big.

file them down with a nail file or something.

also, chalk and wraps serve different purposes. chalk stops you from slipping when your sweaty. wraps let your lift more when your grip is the limiting factor. neither will stop callouses.

it sounds like you have a lot to learn. go and hit up some of the powerlifting or weightlifting forums - but just read, dont post.

Just read this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

Don't waste your time on any of the forums listening to broscience and online hardasses.

dissapointedengineer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
I want to start incorporating deadlifts into my workout. However, from what I've been reading and watching it seems that everyone says that grip strength is key for deadlifts, and thus lifting gloves are not ideal since it results in a weaker grip. I lift with lifting gloves primarily because I don't want calluses on my hand; I want them pretty smooth in other words.

Would it be advisable to perform deadlifts with lifting gloves? Or should I just stay away from it if due to my unwillingness to have callused, rough hands ?
eh.gif

If you are willing to rule out certain movements b/c you "don't want calluses" then don't lift.

Almost every back exersise (pulling exercise) will give you calluses - bb row, pullups/downs, db rows, ESPECIALLY deadlifts.

Use straps. And you will get calluses. Get over it.

blackwar12

Reaction score
Dang, so much hate here guys! Are deadlifts really *that* hard? I incorporate compound exercises into my workout (squat, bench press, and weighted pull-ups among all others), but I specifically have been avoiding deadlifts simply because I really do NOT want calluses. I noticed a couple years ago when I started lifting that they were "growing" on my hand, and gloves put a quick stop to that. I don't think my performance has dropped any, besides lack of dealifts, and on top of that I don't have to deal with having rough calluses.

If using gloves are for wimps and queers, I'd hate to know what you guys think about people who go to the gym to just work out their biceps doing curls in the squat rack. No offense, but I don't want anything to ever come close to the calluses on the bottom of my feet to be on my hands. I prefer not to be a burly, wild, grizzly lumberjack of a man :| ...

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackwar12
Dang, so much hate here guys! Are deadlifts really *that* hard? I incorporate compound exercises into my workout (squat, bench press, and weighted pull-ups among all others), but I specifically have been avoiding deadlifts simply because I really do NOT want calluses. I noticed a couple years ago when I started lifting that they were "growing" on my hand, and gloves put a quick stop to that. I don't think my performance has dropped any, besides lack of dealifts, and on top of that I don't have to deal with having rough calluses.

If using gloves are for wimps and queers, I'd hate to know what you guys think about people who go to the gym to just work out their biceps doing curls in the squat rack. No offense, but I don't want anything to ever come close to the calluses on the bottom of my feet to be on my hands. I prefer not to be a burly, wild, grizzly lumberjack of a man :| ...

We hate them.

Simply, there is nothing wrong with calluses.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did curls in the squat rack last night.

But I also squatted, pressed and did chins.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krow13