• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are designer's print ads so horribly out of touch?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also want to take a bit to chime in on this issue. I am a luxury marketing student and have read quite a bit and been taught even more.

What the OP has also ignored, and I don't believe it was subsequently touched on, is that a lot of the fashion brands carve out not only exclusivity, but also a goal. In this day of leverage, credit, and expansion, many consumers will leverage themselves to obtain a status symbol, mainly a designer item which is thought of by the mainstream as luxury.

In these ads, there are handsome, skinny, ideal men for most. Marketing, and specifically branding in this regard, works on 5 levels from awareness to branded. The reason for the consistent marketing and advertisements is not to cater to the loyal customers as it is to develop new customers. Consumers of premium and luxury brands are some of the most likely consumers to be loyal to a particular brand.

If we take your example of Gucci, it is important to realize what the customer for Gucci is. Is it a classically tailored gentleman? Probably not. Is it a recently promoted person who considers them self a hotshot? Likely. Is it someone who is attempting to demonstrate status? Absolutely.

These images appeal to nobody and sell very little.
Gucci is the highest selling Italian brand in the world. Its sales are consistently in the billions of dollars, leading me to think that they indeed sell quite a bit.

My final thought to you. You may have a career in marketing, but the first thing you learn in luxury marketing is that the traditional rules of marketing are thrown out the window. In fact, the rules are often quite reversed to ensure brand success.

JG000

Reaction score
In these ads, there are handsome, skinny, ideal men for most.
345iuww.jpg

I guess we disagree in our view of what constitutes an "ideal man". I don't think the men pictured in the above ad are handsome or ideal. Skinny, sure... but that's it.

Since my original post, I was suggesting that the men in these ads SHOULD be handsome and ideal, however instead they typically lack even the faintest of identifiable male traits or physical features.

Another poster, IMO hit the nail on the head, so I'll just quote him rather than paraphrase

Originally Posted by negusnegas
Sometimes in more subtle ways, such as people saying they were unable to identify with say a Dior ad, but more so able to identify with a d&g ad. Interestingly enough both are pretty homoerotic, but the d&g ad has an underlying masculinity that a more traditional male may still be able to connect to, while the dior ads often border on the androgynous.

Also...
Gucci is the highest selling Italian brand in the world. Its sales are consistently in the billions of dollars, leading me to think that they indeed sell quite a bit.
I didn't need you to tell me that. I was suggesting that the ads sold very little, per their placement in GQ. I still contend that the vast majority of GQ's readership (80-90%) will feel a strong disconnection with the "extreme ads" rather than a favorable view of the brand. Without question, Gucci/ Versace will continue to sell products to their pre-existing niche. I am questioning (and doubting) however, their concrete ROI on running extreme ads in mainstream men's magazines.

Your correct assertion that Gucci is a luxury brand, and defies traditional advertising is duly noted; so I will yet again repeat that there are more cost effective ways of reaching their base and vying for market share than mass-distributed print publications (particularly in the digital age).

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
dude give it up you obviously do not get it. ****.

What am I not getting? Rather than cursing at me, why don't you actually read what I've written and provide a concrete, factual rebuttal if you're so inclined.

JG000

Reaction score
I'm willing to horizontally frame my argument from "Gucci isn't connecting with ME" to "Gucci isn't reaching their base effectively (via GQ)"

Six in one, half a dozen in the other. But if it reduces the nitpicking and silly counter-arguments than so be it.

Macuser3of5: Gucci can run a more effective ad campaign by utilizing; sponsorship, co-branding, takeover/ floating ads, CPC placements (in blogs, search engines, industry forums, etc), SEO, etc. versus traditional print advertising. In fact, given their "extreme ads" and avante-garde image, they'd be well-suited for a viral online/ ground campaign. Right or wrong?

(Please don't continue to insult me without adding any substantial commentary to the discussion)

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Macuser3of5: Gucci can run a more effective ad campaign by utilizing; sponsorship, co-branding, takeover/ floating ads, CPC placements (in blogs, search engines, industry forums, etc), SEO, etc. versus traditional print advertising. In fact, given their "extreme ads" and avante-garde image, they'd be well-suited for a viral online/ ground campaign. Right or wrong?

Please respond.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gucci could create ads featuring two cardigan-wearing donkeys pounding each other ********** and still maintain its sales. look, these are established brands. their current advertising campaigns probably have more to do with maintaining a sense of visible edginess than they do with swaying its base towards making a financial decision they may not have otherwise made.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please respond.

Build yourself a multibillion dollar luxury brand and prove us all wrong. Until then for the love of god just shut up.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please respond.

You're right, Gucci should just drop print ads and post diggs, start fake blogs, and have the models prance around in chatroulette. The kids will eat that **** up. JFC

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They all try to carve out an image for themselves, in order to grow/maintain their place in the market. On some level, this influences what you think of when you think of the brand.

Obviously, this has a different impact in different contexts. What plays well in the market doesn't necessarily appeal to specific sub-groups, such as this one.

I think the best argument for the efficacy of these ads is the fact that they all do it. If it was really so horribly out of touch, at least some of them would start to jump off the bandwagon. Since that hasn't happened, you have to assume the ads are good value for their money.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You also have to remember about brand awareness. Each of these brands has a particular image that is associated with them, and which they promote through their ads. If they produced different ads for each magazine that they advertise in, then their brand image would become diluted. You can't cater to every potential customer without diluting your image so much as to be indistinguishable from the average mall brand.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You also have to remember about brand awareness. Each of these brands has a particular image that is associated with them, and which they promote through their ads. If they produced different ads for each magazine that they advertise in, then their brand image would become diluted. You can't cater to every potential customer without diluting your image so much as to be indistinguishable from the average mall brand.

These designer brands are selling more than clothes...They're selling a perceived lifestyle.

The person buying Prada or D&G will get associated to a certain mental image of the brand and its social symbolism.

Ralph Lauren is using his preppie models for decades now and it is working...

Gucci ,Tom Ford have decided to be associated with a more sexy image and it is working too..

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorial1
Advertisers in conjunction with the purveyors of fashion have decided (in their minds) how we should look.
Is it how you want to look?
You have a choice when it comes to you.

+1.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads