• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you plan on/do you live a conventional life?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's pretty conventional, except for the parts that aren't.

BigPoppa

Reaction score
Joined the military as a teen.
Had a kid as a teen.
Raised kid working crap jobs for crap pay.
Now play poker on the internet for more than I've ever made at a real job.

So, no

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A word from the old guy:

Just when you think you've got things on some sort of track, something's going to pop up and send you back to the drawing board. Enjoy every day for what it is, and don't get all hung up on ****.

Wodin

Reaction score
I did 5 years in the military to pay for college, then got out and got a "real" job. I'm hoping to do the get married, have kids, and live happily ever after thing.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A word from the old guy:

Just when you think you've got things on some sort of track, something's going to pop up and send you back to the drawing board. Enjoy every day for what it is, and don't get all hung up on ****.

word.

even if she owns a liquor store.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Man I study more than I party. My life is going to be a conventional cliche.

Not really. Most people party more than they study and end up in some terrible position (i.e., married with kids and working some insurance salesman job) by age 30. Ignore females in favor of your GPA. Law schools don't give a **** who you've slept with (the good ones anyway).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent a good chunk of my life trying hard not to lead a conventional life, and I guess I achieved about as unconventional as life as is possible. then, one day, it wasn't a goal any more, or anything that I really cared about. now my life is mostly conventional, aside from parts - I don't spend my money on the things that many people do (crappy car, don't own any real estate) and travel a lot, have a lot of great experiences. but aside from that, my present life is relativly conventional

Brosef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A word from the old guy:

Man that **** scares the hell out of me. I'm scared to see all my efforts ruined.
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Man I study more than I party. My life is going to be a conventional cliche.
Same here bro. All my friends keep going out all the time and I wake up in the morning to go to class and study alone @ a library or a cafÃ
00a9.png
until midnight.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I spent a good chunk of my life trying hard not to lead a conventional life, and I guess I achieved about as unconventional as life as is possible. then, one day, it wasn't a goal any more, or anything that I really cared about. now my life is mostly conventional, aside from parts - I don't spend my money on the things that many people do (crappy car, don't own any real estate) and travel a lot, have a lot of great experiences. but aside from that, my present life is relativly conventional

Yeah. But at least you had your moments - I didn't and probably won't. I'm scared I'll regret that later in life.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
Not really. Most people party more than they study and end up in some terrible position (i.e., married with kids and working some insurance salesman job) by age 30. Ignore females in favor of your GPA. Law schools don't give a **** who you've slept with (the good ones anyway).

An insurance salesman who is married with children isn't a lowly station in life by any reasonable standard.

The fact that you mention "law school" indicates to me that you aren't criticizing it from a bohemian/rebel/artist angle.

So I respond to your comment with puzzlement.
puzzled.gif

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brosef
Man that **** scares the hell out of me. I'm scared to see all my efforts ruined.

Same here bro. All my friends keep going out all the time and I wake up in the morning to go to class and study alone @ a library or a cafÃ
00a9.png
until midnight.

Yeah. But at least you had your moments - I didn't and probably won't. I'm scared I'll regret that later in life.

Amen. After a long study session, walking back from the bookstore/cafe/library/whatever alone, in the dark, when the initial euphoria of productivity wears off there is just this sinking, almost depressive feeling that washes over you like "Did I really envision spending my 'best' years like this?" "Is this worth it?" "What am I really doing?" "What is the meaning of what I am doing?"

No wonder why I'm a philosophy major.

Originally Posted by ektaylor

Honestly, the occasional female that enters my life is the only thing that's probably keeping me together. I don't enjoy studying so hard and don't really know why I do it- I don't know what will really make me happy in the long run and I just go down this path because I've been told all my life that it will.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510