• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

fffffut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manny Calavera
Anyone had hands-on with the new CdG Wonderwood?
i realize this post is old, but i figured i could help if nobody replied
its basically just really woody, like youd expect
i think once it dies down a little it smells better
my only problem is that toward the end of the day im kind of getting this soapy, clean smell that reminds me of cdg odeur 53, but its not extremely noticeable through the wood

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Are you guys talking about Jicky EdT or EdP?

I'm talking about the edp. I've never actually tried the edt.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm talking about the edp. I've never actually tried the edt.

I am actually talking about the pure parfum. The Edt is nice, as is the Pdt (Parfum de toilette), though I think they discontinued the PdT at some point.

Anyway, I wish I could say the baby diapers description was mine... but I think I first read it on Basenotes long, long ago and it just seemed to apt.

In any case, I went with SHalimar parfum for my `Crowd Pleaser.` Wow did I stink great. I cleared out an entire section of the train and had it all to myself.
wink.gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the first day of the semester today. I always treat that like the first day of the baseball season, where the ace of the pitching staff gets the honor of making the start. Dans Tes Bras gets the fragrance version of the honor today.

boo

Reaction score
I was standing in a subway car wearing DC 1913, next to a pre-teen boy and his family. He started complaining "something here really stinks"
frown.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
I was standing in a subway car wearing DC 1913, next to a pre-teen boy and his family. He started complaining "something here really stinks"
frown.gif

I got the same treatment from a young lady a year or so ago when I wore Mouchoir de Monsieur. Unfortunately I had no subway nearby for plausible deniability.

Yesterday and today: Sushi Imperiale. I will empty this damn bottle.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Hermessence Poivre Samarcande for me; it is hot in Tokyo today and I cant wait to stink up Shinjuku! This one is a lovely, minimal, peppery sort of scent... sort of reminds me Cuiron with how close it stays to my skin, but has a little more kick. Though, it is only my second wearing, so I cant really give a full description until the whole thing has settled.

I really like Poivre Samarcande. I have a little 5 ml decant that I've pretty much finished and it kills me that the bottle is so expensive. It reminds me of a fresh green peppercorn, right off the tree, crushed between your fingers. It is a little light but I think it's a great non-citrus summer scent. For some reason I always want to wear it during summer rain storms.

Cuiron, for what it's worth was incredible strong on my skin and gave me a headache, so I sold my bottle years ago.

I got the swap box today and I'm wearing Chanel PM, from a decant that had my name on it. Was that from Thomas? I don't remember asking for it but I'm so happy to have it. I sold my bottle a long time ago and now I wonder if the bottle I had was reformulated or had gone off. This is much stronger than what I remember - or at least the oak moss is more balanced and prominent. How hard is it to find vintage bottles these days?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
- or at least the oak moss is more balanced and prominent. How hard is it to find vintage bottles these days?
Vintage juice is weird, there are times when you can't spit without hitting a bottle, then other times when you nearly have to give a kidney to get it. I have had several chances to purchase vintage PM, and have done so. Often comes up on ebay and basenotes, generally for reasonable prices. I find a lot of difference between the old PM and the PM Concentree... though not as much between the old PM and the square/rectangular "Pour Monsieur" bottle. (the 100ml one that I don't think they sell in the States anymore.) Overall, the older juice is definitely more "chypriffic." Tiffany for Men is one that a lot of old-school PM fans have found as a good alternative.... made by the same parfumeur, and quite similar in character, and still available NIB from the Tiffany store for $75 or so. I have been enjoying my old-school stinkers. Vol de Nuit yesterday. Haven't decided about tomorrow... Maybe Miss Dior or maybe I'll go whole-hog with Giorgio for Men.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Concentree is a completely different scent, with the oddball nutmeg note. This PM might not be different than the bottle I sold - it might just be that my nose has changed. This one reminds me a bit of Guerlain Derby, which I love but I also always considered to be a much bigger and richer chypre. I'll keep an eye out for Tiffany. I've also heard good things about it but I've never given it a sniff. That one and Lauder for men are on my list right now.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
It's the first day of the semester today. I always treat that like the first day of the baseball season, where the ace of the pitching staff gets the honor of making the start. Dans Tes Bras gets the fragrance version of the honor today.

I'm jealous, I love Dans Tes Bras - but cant justify the price for the bottle..
Amazing fragrance though.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Concentree is a completely different scent, with the oddball nutmeg note. This PM might not be different than the bottle I sold - it might just be that my nose has changed. This one reminds me a bit of Guerlain Derby, which I love but I also always considered to be a much bigger and richer chypre. I'll keep an eye out for Tiffany. I've also heard good things about it but I've never given it a sniff. That one and Lauder for men are on my list right now.
That makes sense; I always thought it SMELLED like an entirely different scent, but didn't know the real story. While you are touring, try Aramis JHL as well. Not saying that it is like these others, but it is one of my favorite "gentlemanly" scents. Really quite a surprise to me, when I first smelled it. It is released again in the original formula in the "Aramis Gentleman's Series" (or some name like it), along with Havana and others, for $50 or so for 100mls. Derby was nice, though I didn't try much of it (I think I swapped once for about 10mls on basenotes years ago.) My recollection of it was that I kept saying to myself, "I like this, but I like my dry leathers of the Knize Ten variety!"
lol8[1].gif
You might also really like Lutens Cuir Mauresque or Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman. D'ottoman was probably my favorite of the bunch, from a scent point of view, but a little hard to wear with any frequency. Kind of like changing your motorbike oil while wearing a Seraphin jacket.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(...)

I got the swap box today and I'm wearing Chanel PM, from a decant that had my name on it. Was that from Thomas? I don't remember asking for it but I'm so happy to have it. I sold my bottle a long time ago and now I wonder if the bottle I had was reformulated or had gone off. This is much stronger than what I remember - or at least the oak moss is more balanced and prominent. How hard is it to find vintage bottles these days?

yep. Glad you like it!

FWIW, I tried current production PM at a duty-free in Cancun and found it to be a greenish-tinged charcoal sketch of the original. Eventually it was recognizable but never really bloomed. What I have is from early '80's production of thereabouts.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT