• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Select A New Briefcase

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers

075F.jpg

I dont like the satchel looking bags.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TRINI;3055129 said:
What about a Delvaux?

It looks nice. I think Monocle sells it don't they?

bmulford;3055217 said:
A Valextra or Prada pressed calf (saffiano) travel briefcase sounds like the ticket. Lightwieght, top zipper, strap+handles, meant to carry folders/papers/electronics + shirt.

I have had good luck with Prada leather goods. I was thinking about something in brown. I should stop by their San Francisco store.

Originally Posted by fomar
Berluti deux jour ?

I've been the Berluti route before. They look so cool in the store but just don't seem look quite so good ITRW.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A briefcase is an important purchase for me because I keep them forever. I have every one I've ever purchased beginning in the late 70's. So, I appreciate all of these suggestions and will look into all of them. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
A briefcase is an important purchase for me because I keep them forever. I have every one I've ever purchased beginning in the late 70's. So, I appreciate all of these suggestions and will look into all of them. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

E-Mail The Delvaux Store direct (EShop), they will Fedex a Bag within 3 days.
[email protected]

slider07

Reaction score
I agree that the Glaser deal bag (I have the 6") is heavier than most, but I would also say it is better than most. It has a look that is somewhere in between a rugged outback looking bag and one of those too-polished flapover bags. I fly with it on large and small planes, throw it around my car, etc. I love mine and I will keep it until it disintegrates.

Also, check out the new designs - they have smaller, more slimmed-down versions now that are pretty cool as well.

Good luck!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality/artisanal aspect aside, why is everyone so hard for these Glaser bags?

Some of them look alright and some I'd even consider but then I see those sailcloth inserts and I just shake my head.

slider07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
The quality/artisanal aspect aside, why is everyone so hard for these Glaser bags?

Some of them look alright and some I'd even consider but then I see those sailcloth inserts and I just shake my head.

Good question. The sailcloth is a little bit odd until you get one of the accessories that's made out of it. It lightens weight and is very tough (and I think a little modern look). Granted, it's not really the greatest looking thing in the world and it has a certain sound when moved around. I love the cord inserts and the flap-over folder.

However, sailcloth is easy to avoid, just use other accessories. The quality of the leather, the dyeing process that is involved (amazing how hard this is and how easy it is to do very cheaply - Myron doesn't). Also, Myron will spend a ton of time (I spent an hour talking with him on that first call - from everything from tanning to the economy) with you asking questions about how you use the bag, the design of your bag, and gives his recommendations. It truly is a high quality item and you don't really realize just how good it is until you talk with Myron personally and realize how they do the work and who they use for leather and tanning.

I'm not a guy that finds brands and sticks with them - I'm fickle and get bored easily. However, this is one I truly believe is worth keeping for the long-term.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

Well made, reasonable price, quite well thought out design and most importantly, I don't really like the traditional flapover styles. Glaser's take on the briefcase in the guise of the Deal Bag or the Day bag have a very interesting look as well as some neat touches in terms of pockets. It's hard to understand without seeing one and handling one to be honest.

But yes, they are on the heavy side. However, the small sizes seem much more manageable than even the 5" deal bag. I guess all that complaining paid off!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
However, the small sizes seem much more manageable than even the 5" deal bag. I guess all that complaining paid off!

You haven't gone all tote like maomeow?

- B

cglex

Reaction score
For just a meeting, I use something like this:

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail-sku-664

I always use something like this when I am running around a city or otherwise making sales calls, meeting a client for the first time, etc.

An alternative is something zipped like this:

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail-sku-668

Maker and materials can vary according to your taste. The Hartmann links are easy to find, hence my choice.

For me, small versions of bigger bags don't work for just a meeting or day long affair.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the JFK style is quite tempting but people don't like a consultant to be overly flashy. Maybe one of these in brown calf?? I would love to find a gently used one but would never trust a listing on fleabay for something of this value.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Hermes Crocodile

1166172_002.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads