• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me improve my MTM suit fit

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I got my firt 3-piece suit from a MTM outfit.

The process was pretty difficult. Granted, the MTM maker was satisfactory in general: nice fabrics, nice detailing, affordable price. The sellers were not very knowledgeable or helpful, though, and I had to have quite a few changes made before I could consider the result wearable.

This is what I got. My apologies for the poor quality of the photos, who were taken using a phone at the end of a long day at work:

As I said, this suit is wearable and certainly nice enough, given the price, to wear at the office. But over the months, I noticed quite a few problems. I am considering ordering one or two more suits from the same outfit, including a comparable 3-piece affair, and I am wondering about the changes I should request to get a better fit. I have to bear in mind that this is a low-end MTM, of course, so some changes might be difficult to get.

So far, this is what I will ask them to change in the new suit:
- longer vest (by about 2 inches)
- lower buttoning point on the coat (about 2 inches)
- lower buttoning point on the vest (slightly more than 2 inches)

I might be missing some problems. There is too much pulling in the front, for example, and I am not sure that the lower buttoning point on the new suit will be enough to correct that.

What say you?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got a side photo?

I don't know if you need to drop the buttoning point a full two inches, but I'd certainly prefer it a tad lower. Also, the jacket appears way too tight.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket is too tight.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+! for what's been said. I would also consider a touch more padding for the slightly sloped shoulders.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Got a side photo?
Unfortunately not.

The tight jacket might be a by-product of the alterations I had made. At first, I found the jacket was gaping a little in the chest opening and a little at the back of the collar. Of course, I understand that this is partly natural. No jacket will always stay put. But it seemed too much to me.

The answer of the MTM seller was to have the upper back reduced a little and to make the chest a tad tighter. I might try to have those reversed for the new project.

I'll try to upload side photos tomorrow.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pants' fit could be better. Perhaps wider on top and a lower crotch. Something like that.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Perhaps wider on top and a lower crotch.
I did not mention this, but I was plannig to ask for 1/2" to 1 inch more on top for the pants.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
I did not mention this, but I was plannig to ask for 1/2" to 1 inch more on top for the pants.

fistbump.gif

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer of the MTM seller was to have the upper back reduced a little .....

That may be why it's pulling a bit around the middle botton..

Hopefully, that will do the trick, as they look too tight in the back.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go (like before, click for larger photos):

Is this your natural posture? If not, it's hard to gauge fit if you stand extremely erect like this.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that it is a 3 piece, you don't see to many of those these days. The main issues wuith the suit is that it really needs pressed, especially in the sleeves and the point on the right lapel is standing out. The only other this is that it is a bit tight throughout the waist which is most noticable in the back. I would have it let out just a hair, everything else seems to fit just great.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pants need better tailoring/fit/measurement!

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is this your natural posture? If not, it's hard to gauge fit if you stand extremely erect like this.
It is my natural posture, and I realize how strange that seems. Venders complain about it all the time when trying to fit me.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy