• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
wtf Netbook and the iPad are nearly identical in size and weight except for thickness. most modern netbooks are pretty effin slim compared to the first gen ones and most regular notebooks. The point of the iPhone and other Smart phones was that you can basically do most of you basic computing needs on it and its very portable. The iPad being nothing more than a slightly faster and larger iPhone (running the same os and all) seems pointless in comparison. Its all the function and basic web surfing of the iPhone in a much larger and cumbersome package. PLUS you get to carry around all kinds of dongles, WOOPEEE! Also $130 more to use 3G, weak.
dongles for what? do tell. netbooks offer 3G for lower pricing? people used their netbooks to read newspapers and books? i didn't see that in coffee shops or on the subway...although i did see people using the kindle. to be honest, i actually rarely saw people using netbooks. i wanted to buy one but never did for whatever reason.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well in my parts the netbooks all come equipt with 3G, but if you dont buy a data plan you dont get a sim. That said, many netbooks are free or 1yen with a data contract plan. I have read ebooks on my Wind, but its not very comfortable on the eyes, even with it hooked up to my 32in LCD, I cant stand reading more than 10-20 pages at a time. I have never ever seen anyone use a kindle or other eReader here. Most people read books/serials on their phone or read the paper paper on the train.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't entirely understand the complaint that it's a "big iphone/ipod touch." Don't most people love their iphones?
Sure, but it's not a quantum leap from the iPhone to the iPad. People are expressing disappointment with the lack of innovation. They've taken something good and made it better, but they haven't reinvented the wheel.
I think you might be right about it cannibalizing the iphone. I can see in the future just carrying a bare-bones phone and one of these.
I was thinking the same thing but we'll see. In any case, I suspect that people who have never owned an Apple product will choose this over the iPhone and stick with their current cell.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
well in my parts the netbooks all come equipt with 3G, but if you dont buy a data plan you dont get a sim. That said, many netbooks are free or 1yen with a data contract plan. I have read ebooks on my Wind, but its not very comfortable on the eyes, even with it hooked up to my 32in LCD, I cant stand reading more than 10-20 pages at a time. I have never ever seen anyone use a kindle or other eReader here. Most people read books/serials on their phone or read the paper paper on the train.
ok you live in japan...so it's not very easy to see how people outside of that country will use a product given their very strange tastes. how are they reading books on phones???? btw, a lot of guff was given to apple for introducing such a basic phone into an advance market in japan, and it still did well...there is a chance that those manga watching, whiskey from a can drinking, fellas may buy the ipad. i think there are other ipads like fujitsus but not at this price range with this level of features so they haven't sold well.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Sure, but it's not a quantum leap from the iPhone to the iPad. People are expressing disappointment with the lack of innovation. They've taken something good and made it better, but they haven't reinvented the wheel. I was thinking the same thing but we'll see. In any case, I suspect that people who have never owned an Apple product will choose this over the iPhone and stick with their current cell.
Can I ask what you were expecting the ipad to be able to do that truly would have been a quantum leap? Has there been any apple product that you even consider a quantum leap? Or any tech product even?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got to say I was underwhelmed. It reminded me a lot of the Nexus 1 launch, which was preceded by a fair (though not equal) amount of frenzy and turned out to be just sound and fury, signifying nothing. There's no way this can legitimately be called revolutionary. It's well-executed and ties together a lot of loose threads in a single device, but it's long overdue and doesn't deliver anything that wasn't predicted 6 months ago (or clamoured for three years ago). Part of the problem is that Apple's competitors are so incompetent that even an underwhelming new product is years ahead of anything else in the market. Those who say that the iPad will be industry-changing and that Microsoft et. al. will be playing catch-up with their own iPad knock-offs for the next few years are right.

That being said, it's hard to say what the iPad does besides further the trend of reducing and simplying computing to its bare essentials until it becomes so user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing that clueless grandparents and technophobes everywhere are able to finally adopt 21st century technology. This is a virtue, but I'm not sure that it's a desirable trend for computing in general. I am all for ease of access and usability, but not at the cost of restricting myself to a very narrow range of functions. At what point do we let companies like Apple set the limits of what we use technology for?

I think it's fairly obvious that the iPad can't replace your actual computer. The reasons:
1. It doesn't multitask
2. Hardware specs not very impressive
3. No USB ports (this is either a sick joke or a transparent attempt to force people to spend money on adaptors)
4. Virtual keyboard doesn't seem very well-done according to most reviews
5. No flash (though I think this is less serious than many claim)
6. No HDMI out. Again, not critical, but I know a lot of people who playback .avis on their TV with their laptops.

So the critique that it's just a big iPhone isn't unjustified, even if that criticism downplays the extent to which the iPad improves on the iPhone with both its larger screen real estate and 10 hour battery life. Movies, web browsing and ebook reading will all be vastly better. We have to assume that gaming will become more complex and sophisticated, even if developers aren't quite sure how to build controls for the device.

What's interesting is that given this improvement, the relatively low cost of the baseline model, and the $30/mo. fee without contract for unlimited 3G, why would you need both an iPhone and an iPad? It seems very redundant and I wonder if Apple won't cannibalize its own market with its newest offering, especially since the iPad also relies on the App Store for software.

In any case, the most salient thing anyone has said in this thread is: don't be an early adopter. You will only end up getting screwed, both price- and feature-wise.

This.

Apple is for the user that favors usability and simplicity over complex efficiency, it is not intended for the power user/efficient businessman/tech savvy nerd. The iPad is made for those who just want to do certain things on a computer without going through the hoops, as such they are not bothered by sacrificing features that power users kick up dust about.

Those who seek a more capable computer will be the more advanced and heavy users of computers, people who are already quite computer savvy and do more with computers than the iPad can allow for, they do not benefit from the simplicity of the iPad. Specifications, efficiency, usability and longevity are more important to the advanced user and so logically a netbook makes more sense for this type of person.

This is not to say that only type X people will buy an iPad, but there is definitely a target market for it and those outside of it won't have much incentive to buy one over something that's technically superior, as MetroStyles has pointed out.

Personally, I appreciate the simplicity and enjoy playing with Apple products; but I am a power user and can't lose out on features such as multi-tasking and onboard USB. These mean more to me than simplicity and ease of use - which truthfully I have no extra need for in a computer - so naturally I opt for the more technically superior product.

Well it's 4am here, goodnight people.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
...I don't know where phones that were just phones went, but they are long gone even though many of us still want them.
I have a Nokia 1208 that's just a phone -- and an small LED flashlight. Love it. Got it at a Walgreens for $20, one of those prepaid phones, but I use it with my monthly plan. My old phone broke, and I just wanted a basic phone. So the T-Mobile guy suggested I get a prepaid T-Mobile phone and stick my sim card in. Worked great.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Can I ask what you were expecting the ipad to be able to do that truly would have been a quantum leap?
I would like to have seen: - everything that is missing: removable battery, webcam, USB ports, kickstand, flash support, multitasking, etc. - dual LCD/e-ink display for use during e-book reading - handwriting input and recognition program à la Microsoft OneNote, especially for use with college textbooks (the current major disadvantage of ebook readers for the educational market is that note taking is impossible) - better integration with media partnerships for downloading tv shows, movies, and magazines. I am not convinced that this is going to 'save the print media' until I see what NYT et. al. come up with to convince people to start paying for content instead of grabbing it from google news. - lower price. $630 (and let's face it, 3G is essential) for a gadget that duplicates a LOT of the features of existing things that I already own is not going to fly. Much less for $850.
Has there been any apple product that you even consider a quantum leap? Or any tech product even?
The iPod was revolutionary because it gave us 64GB of storage space when everyone else was offering 500MB. The iPhone was revolutionary for the obvious reasons (touchscreen, accelerometer, GPS, etc.), as was the App Store. The iPad is just what already exists but slightly better. iBook is just a more expensive version of what Amazon is already doing. There are distinct disadvantages to Apple's approach to computing which have already been discussed above. This all makes for an underwhelming experience. I admit that it's a bit of sour grapes because essentially I'm complaining about something that I admit is a good product, but I just wish it were more. Especially when Steve starts saying things like "this is the most important thing I've ever done."
confused.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure, but it's not a quantum leap from the iPhone to the iPad. People are expressing disappointment with the lack of innovation. They've taken something good and made it better, but they haven't reinvented the wheel.

I was thinking the same thing but we'll see. In any case, I suspect that people who have never owned an Apple product will choose this over the iPhone and stick with their current cell.

LCD/DLP/Plasma TV's were not a quantum leap over tube sets, bigger/better picture, but that was pretty much it. They've sold kind of well though.

there is no such thing as a "bare bones" phone anymore and this will not cannabilize the Iphone. It will cannabilize the Kindle, Nook and Sone eReader. It will cannabilize netbooks. The quantum leap you are looking for is the mobility and ease of use that you will now have, that you do not really have now. The Iphone is wonderful, but the screen is too small for many things. Netbooks don't have the mobility this does. You are also discounting the looks of the IPad, as funny as the name is and as useless as a "look" is to a tech product, people shop with their eyes. The applications that exist and that have yet to exist are what will make this a category killer, just like the IPhone. Anyway, I like it and am getting it. Only other Apple product I have is the Iphone and I feel the same way about this thing as I did about the Iphone when it came out.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It will cannabilize the Kindle, Nook and Sone eReader. It will cannabilize netbooks.

I'm being pedantic but the Apple can't cannabilize these products with the iPad as they're not Apple products.

I'm with you on everything else.

My biggest debate is not whether to get one but when. I didn't buy the first iPhone but ended up w/ the 3G. Now that I know what to expect, I'm happy to wait a year for them to work out any kinks.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
LCD/DLP/Plasma TV's were not a quantum leap over tube sets, bigger/better picture, but that was pretty much it. They've sold kind of well though.
Don't forget "thin and light."
teacha.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I like it, and if I find that I really do after seeing it IRL, then I'm getting it. I think it'll be great for web browsing, reading, and such when I travel.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would like to have seen:

- everything that is missing: removable battery, webcam, USB ports, kickstand, flash support, multitasking, etc.
- dual LCD/e-ink display for use during e-book reading
- handwriting input and recognition program à la Microsoft OneNote, especially for use with college textbooks (the current major disadvantage of ebook readers for the educational market is that note taking is impossible)
- better integration with media partnerships for downloading tv shows, movies, and magazines. I am not convinced that this is going to 'save the print media' until I see what NYT et. al. come up with to convince people to start paying for content instead of grabbing it from google news.

The iPod was revolutionary because it gave us 64GB of storage space when everyone else was offering 500MB. The iPhone was revolutionary for the obvious reasons (touchscreen, accelerometer, GPS, etc.), as was the App Store.

I don't understand the need for a removable battery. I would not need/use a webcam, but I can see why someone would miss it (sounds like an opportunity for a 3rd party vendor), kickstand is silly, there will be a milllion products made for this thing, I'm sure some kind of kickstand will be a part if it. Multitasking is also rather silly but whatever.
The Dual thing is a non starter as you know Apple wnats everyone to use what they have or hit the highway. It's worked for them so far.
The handwritting thing, I can see why people would want it, but my experience is that handwritting software is not that useful and the screen takes a beating after extended use.
The media thing, if Apple builds it, they will come. Disney is already talking about how they love the IPad.
With a display device that is different than anything else out there, the media companies will most likely look to take advantage of this by offering exclusive (paid) content.

5 years ago, very few here or anyone for that matter, would have said "yeah, I'd love to buy a device that I carry around to read books in black and white text". More likely than not, the response would have been, what is the point??

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8