• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Ties off Ebay, tips?

Glados1984

Reaction score
Hi guys

i'm looking at picking up a few ties on ebay. any good tips for how to avoid fake hermes etc?

cheers

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
Hi guys i'm looking at picking up a few ties on ebay. any good tips for how to avoid fake hermes etc? cheers
I am sure that you can do this on your own, what with your degree of sartorial expertise. Or better yet, don't buy "Hermes" ties from eBay.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
I am sure that you can do this on your own, what with your degree of sartorial expertise.

Or better yet, don't buy "Hermes" ties from eBay.

Awwwww, bottom a little sore from the last thread?

the only thing more marsupialed than a person who thinks that everything on Ebay is genuine is someone who thinks that everything on Ebay is fake.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awwwww, bottom a little sore from the last thread?

the only thing more marsupialed than a person who thinks that everything on Ebay is genuine is someone who thinks that everything on Ebay is fake.

I am convinced that you are a very elaborate troll, or another member's sock puppet.

Please continue sharing your wisdom with the proles.

Glados1984

Reaction score
I am convinced that you are a very elaborate troll, or another member's sock puppet.

Please continue sharing your wisdom with the proles.

I've got a better one. How about you either:

A: Contribute something worth while to this thread

B: Shut up and **** off

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a better one. How about you either: A: Contribute something worth while to this thread B: Shut up and **** off
1) There's no guaranteeing the authenticity of any well-known fashion brand on ebay, especially Hermes ties. 2) Buy them at retail in a Hermes store if you are worried about fakes. 3) If you just want the look of silly tiny-printed ties, they who cares whether the Hermes are fake if you don't pay Hermes prices. 4) If you care that much about owning Hermes ties, you have bigger issues. 5) Relatively new posters on SF who cop an attitude rarely last long. See, e.g. GQDerek, MillionareTeacher. 6)
8636693c97090b56ea2db64fbc0d562f410fe061.jpg
Now it's your turn to post something worthwhile.

Glados1984

Reaction score
1) There's no guaranteeing the authenticity of any well-known fashion brand on ebay, especially Hermes ties. 2) Buy them at retail in a Hermes store if you are worried about fakes. 3) If you just want the look of silly tiny-printed ties, they who cares whether the Hermes are fake if you don't pay Hermes prices. 4) If you care that much about owning Hermes ties, you have bigger issues. 5) Relatively new posters on SF who cop an attitude rarely last long. See, e.g. GQDerek, MillionareTeacher.
I'll give that post a 3/5, you're definatly getting better. Agreed that arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. but that you follow me into this thread and then call me a troll, i bet you've got a big rack of medals.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give that post a 3/5, you're definatly getting better. Agreed that arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. but that you follow me into this thread and then call me a troll, i bet you've got a big rack of medals.
This is my trophy case. It's full of SFer busts of yore.
1986torphy_Eli_small.jpg
*Mods, does this qualify for DT yet?

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

i'm looking at picking up a few ties on ebay. any good tips for how to avoid fake hermes etc?

cheers

What brands are you looking for in particular besides Hermes? I might know some sources.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
What brands are you looking for in particular besides Hermes? I might know some sources.

just anything a little bit different but suitable for work, I think buying new is a bit of a waste of money when there's so much second hand around. I can spot fake shirts etc a mile away on ebay, but i dont know what to look for with ties...

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just anything a little bit different but suitable for work, I think buying new is a bit of a waste of money when there's so much second hand around. I can spot fake shirts etc a mile away on ebay, but i dont know what to look for with ties...
All snark aside, my best recommendation is just to find ties you like and buy them, regardless of label. Alternatively, look at Kent Wang's site, or FiH, or Howard Yount or any other of our affiliated retailers. I can only speak personally to Kent Wang's quality, but his stuff is fantastic. Kentwang.com

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relatively new posters on SF who cop an attitude rarely last long. See, e.g.MillionareTeacher.

Would it were true.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In that case search for Charvet on Ebay. Quality stuff.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bootwatch