Buying Ties off Ebay, tips?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Glados1984, Dec 27, 2009.

1. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

2. onix

onix Senior member

1) There's no guaranteeing the authenticity of any well-known fashion brand on ebay, especially Hermes ties.

Not quite true, there are some sellers on ebay that specializes in Hermes only. And their stuffs are guaranteed to be authentic. Also, the amount of fake Hermes ties decrease significantly during last year.

Just to add a tip: Hermes often has 1 or 2 sales per year with 40% off on ties (this is why a lot of Hermes tie on eBay has buy it now price of $120-$140)

Depends, I am a collector. And hence I do care that much about owning Hermes tie.

3. onix

onix Senior member

Hi guys

i'm looking at picking up a few ties on ebay. any good tips for how to avoid fake hermes etc?

cheers

Hermes:

http://www.ggyy5978.com/real.php

http://www.andyinternational.com/how...ine-hermes-tie

Their guides concentrate on standard print Hermes only. On heavy silk (woven), or scarf ties, it can be more tricky. Both sellers are quality Hermes tie sellers on ebay. There are some others.

4. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

thanks for your help guys.

I find ebay very weird sometimes. some brands seem to attract lots of fakes on there, like Paul Smith, but others, say Rolex for example, not so much. Is this because of lawsuit threats or something?

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Not quite true, there are some sellers on ebay that specializes in Hermes only. And their stuffs are guaranteed to be authentic. Also, the amount of fake Hermes ties decrease significantly during last year.
    I am regardless very wary of any ebay "designer" merch.
    Good advice. But even then, I would rather be sure and buy them from the store than risk paying big for a counterfeit.
    Point taken. I was speaking directly to Glados in that post, but I understand why a collector would look to continue his collection via ebay.

6. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Personally, I have only ever come across 1 fake Hermes.

I have seen lots of fake Hugo Boss, some fake Zegna, and a few fake Ferragamos.

I published this a while back on spotting a fake Ferra:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=152456

In general, I think you are pretty safe if you buy 2nd hand ties. Its the new ones I worry about. Pay special attention where the auction is from.

8. malefic

malefic Senior member

I am regardless very wary of any ebay "designer" merch. Good advice. But even then, I would rather be sure and buy them from the store than risk paying big for a counterfeit. Point taken. I was speaking directly to Glados in that post, but I understand why a collector would look to continue his collection via ebay.
    You've made a complete hypocritical prick of yourself in this thread, why don't you stop posting in it now?

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I find it amusing that a man who cant handle Braces because they're too '80's wallstreet' is looking to buy Hermes ties.

Fock.....thats alot of irony.

I would buy it from the Hermes store, because part of the fun of buying luxury goods comes from buying them at a place like Hermes.

10. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

I find it amusing that a man who cant handle Braces because they're too '80's wallstreet' is looking to buy Hermes ties.

Fock.....thats alot of irony.

I find it amusing that you've followed me into two different threads now and you're the one calling me a troll.

11. SkinnyGoomba

three actually.

Have you ever actually been to Hermes store?

12. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

three actually.

Have you ever actually been to Hermes store?

I have in Paris actually, lovely store. I thought to myself 'gee this is lovely stuff, I'd like to own some of these ties one day, but because i'm not a 58 year old wanker banker i cant afford it, I know! i'll go on ebay and buy some nice second hand ones, but i better look for some advice on buying them otherwise i might end up with fakes.'

instead i just seemed to be getting stalked by someone with lots of time on their hands.

go away

13. SkinnyGoomba

Wait, so you've never come into a disposable sum the amount of a Hermes tie? Thats ashame, maybe you should consider life as a banker where they sometimes pay you more then $160-$200.

14. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I find it amusing that a man who cant handle Braces because they're too '80's wallstreet' is looking to buy Hermes ties. Fock.....thats alot of irony. I would buy it from the Hermes store, because part of the fun of buying luxury goods comes from buying them at a place like Hermes.
    [​IMG]
    You've made a complete hypocritical prick of yourself in this thread . . .
    hypocrisy |hiˈpäkrisē| noun ( pl. -sies) the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
    This critique is likely apt, but rather premature. I'll let you know when I buy a secondhand Hermes tie on eBay, so that you may ripely criticize.
    Your wish is my command. [​IMG]

15. Glados1984

Glados1984 Senior member

hypocrisy |hiˈpäkrisē|
    noun ( pl. -sies)
    the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

This critique is likely apt, but rather premature. I'll let you know when I buy a secondhand Hermes tie on eBay, so that you may ripely criticize.

Your wish is my command.
    [​IMG]

Awesome, Thanks malefic!

I would have used the word 'cock' rather than prick though.