• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right Time to Die

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would prefer death to any sort of life where I'm crippled and dependent on others for everyday activities.

If the guy hasn't given any sort of indication as to how he'd like to die/live, I'd personally push for no life support. My grandmother was on life support near the end of her life, and I think it's a goddamn shame that those final days will be the most remembered.

Acephale

Reaction score
My instructions are seriously no funeral no more no less... just decant my ashes back to the Sea. Any sea.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for your input.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I see this exact scenario time, after time, after time. IMO, 99% of the time, a feeding tube is put in for the family's solace, not in any way to benefit the actual patient.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I have a living will that takes the burden of such a decision away from others ... but that's no help here.

people should have the right to die with dignity ..

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AcÃ
00a9.png
phale
My instructions are seriously no funeral no more no less... just decant my ashes back to the Sea. Any sea.

I would love to know that vultures eat my body to bring it back where it came from. but as I lived in a huge metropole my whole life the pollutants in my fat cells would probably kill them ..

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice. The decision was made ... and you helped make it easier for us. There will be no feeding tube.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I see this exact scenario time, after time, after time. IMO, 99% of the time, a feeding tube is put in for the family's solace, not in any way to benefit the actual patient.
This means a lot to me ... as I recall you are in the medical field. Thanks for putting our past differences aside for what is -- for me -- a very serious issue.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Thanks to all for the advice. The decision was made ... and you helped make it easier for us. There will be no feeding tube.

You did the right thing, best wishes for you and your family.

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Best of luck for the meantimes. More love and strength to you all.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would vote also for no feeding tube. my mother is in her late 70's, and frankly I think that if she had a clean and painless way to kill herself she probrably would. we love her, but her life really isn't that great anymore, and she doen's need to have people have bad memories of her.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Both my grandparents as well as my step-father suffered slow declines and were bed-ridden for many months, and their deaths came as a mercy to them and the rest of us. They all died at home in their own beds with the family gathered around. It's a heart-rending process, but the best one can do is help ease them along their way.

At this time in 2000, my family and I helped my dad through his last week of life. The hospice care ended up being worthless, so we did everything for him. It was a gruelling, sleepless week. Every year around Christmas I relive a bit of that. It's the least pleasant time of year for me.

In any case, good for you for having the courage to make a difficult decision and more power to you as you face this.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AcÃ
00a9.png
phale

This is what we do in our family. My grandparents are scattered under the osprey nest across the pond from the Nantucket house. My father and, 40 years later, my mother are scattered at the Giant Steps on Bailey Island, Maine, and my step-dad is scattered off Block Island, Rhode Island.

This is also what I want for myself. And yes, any sea.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
I would love to know that vultures eat my body to bring it back where it came from. but as I lived in a huge metropole my whole life the pollutants in my fat cells would probably kill them ..
You are Zoroastrien?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
You are Zoroastrien?

did you know the vultures there are near extinction because the persians are now muslims? but in fact the same ceremony is happening in tibet, and it was done in ancient egypt as well.

why should I get my body buried in treated wood so it will turn into an adipocere covered mummy that poisons groundwater when the coffin breakes after 50 years?
why should I get my body burned into ashes to get spread at some natural place when vultures can do this much better?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa