• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have kids gotten smarter?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I know is my 2nd grader carries a helluva lot more books home and does more homework than I did when I was in the second grade. Although by the seconds grade I could fully write calligraphy. Maybe we were just more artsy.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kids today are no smarter.
They have more information, but an under-developed ability to process it.
An average 9 year old today can talk like a 30 year old, though be unable to sustain it.
Paradoxically, a typical 35,45, 55 year old will talk dumber than the 9 year old.
In fact, the last 15 or so years has revealed a deliberately hyped agenda to dumb-down the masses.
We are regarded as cattle, and are to be segregated before the slaughter.
Teen sub-cultures (aka 'generation gap') created by mother government for this very purpose.
Alma Mater became Alba Matters.
The number 1 sought-after thing on the internet for young people is Appreciation,
followed by music, games, movies, etc.
Knowledge? History? those are at the bottom of the list.
All the sheep have been scattered. The family, all but destroyed.
Does no one remember despotism or 'divide & conquer'?

Are kids smarter today? Let's put it this way..when the global economy collapses and the fake food shortage begins, and there's mass starvation,
I'll know how to work with flints, fire, bearskins & knives, while those 'smarter kids' will be terrified to leave their homes; patiently hoping for someone to cook their dinner. I'll survive. They'll starve.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
An average 9 year old today can talk like a 30 year old, though be unable to sustain it.
Paradoxically, a typical 35,45, 55 year old will talk dumber than the 9 year old.
In fact, the last 15 or so years has revealed a deliberately hyped agenda to dumb-down the masses.
Teen sub-cultures (aka 'generation gap') created by mother government for this very purpose.
The number 1 sought-after thing on the internet for young people is Appreciation,

Are kids smarter today? Let's put it this way..when the global economy collapses and the fake food shortage begins, and there's mass starvation,
I'll know how to work with flints, fire, bearskins & knives, while those 'smarter kids' will be terrified to leave their homes; patiently hoping for someone to cook their dinner. I'll survive. They'll starve.

That's some good poetry, Man of Flint.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like Jessica Alba? Are you saying kids search for Jessica Alba Appreciation more than other Appreciation? If so, this is a serious educational crisis. They need to expand their Appreciation horizons.

mickey711

Reaction score

I think you're making some very sweeping generalizations. An American Scientist article on the Flynn Effect states that the results of intelligence tests have shown that over the past century, the average IQ has been rising at a rate of 3 IQ points per decade with respect to broad-spectrum tests like the WISC and WAIS. The most significant increases, however, have been observed in g-loaded tests such as Raven's Progressive Matrices, which measures abstract reasoning.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweeping generalizations is a perfect way to put it.
It was the only way to vent my frustrations that Im not wealthy enough to have Jessica Alba all to myself.
lol8[1].gif

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
absolutely, each generation is alot smarter than the last IMO.

i'm only 18. i know that i'm already at a level where i'm smarter than the majority of people before me...the people in their late 30s and early 40s didn't get the same opportunities that i got with the internet, google, television etc. i have processed so much more information, it's as if i have way more experience because of it.

on the flip side, i have a cousin who's 8 and he's far smarter than i ever was at that age. you can talk to him like he's an adult. i'll walk into my living room and ask him what's going on and he'll straight up say something like "i'm watching some TV until aunt shirley gets out the shower, then we're going to head out and see a movie. what are you up to?"

it's like...so ******* weird. and that's like every kid that age, too. they're all so damned smart...

when i was like 8 or 10, i was basically marsupialed. just bumbling around playing with toys and stupid **** like that. i couldn't hold a decent conversation with an adult.

my cousins on the internet looking stuff up. he knows how to google.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i'm only 18. i know that i'm already at a level where i'm smarter than the majority of people before me...the people in their late 30s and early 40s didn't get the same opportunities that i got with the internet, google, television etc. i have processed so much more information, it's as if i have way more experience because of it.
The irony in this statement...
lol8[1].gif
Also, Google is like a calculator. You don't understand math just because you can operate a TI-83.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

on the flip side, i have a cousin who's 8 and he's far smarter than i ever was at that age. you can talk to him like he's an adult. i'll walk into my living room and ask him what's going on and he'll straight up say something like "i'm watching some TV until aunt shirley gets out the shower, then we're going to head out and see a movie. what are you up to?"

it's like...so ******* weird. and that's like every kid that age, too. they're all so damned smart...

when i was like 8 or 10, i was basically marsupialed. just bumbling around playing with toys and stupid **** like that. i couldn't hold a decent conversation with an adult.

I'd be more impressed if he were listening to the band, Television.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'd be more impressed if he were listening to the band, Television.

I'd be most impressed if he was googling Jessica Alba Appreciation.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You seem to be confusing intelligence/smarts with familiarity with technologies or more generally, advancement. Each generation is necessarily more advanced than the one that came before it, else society is stagnant. That's not at all the same as saying subsequent generations are smarter than their predecessors.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkMeyea