• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
Honestly, I buy some expensive **** from time to time and enjoy a nice shirt, pair of shoes, etc. but some times people's attitudes towards any non-boutique (or boutique-ish) brand is astounding.

J. crew is fine. Not everyone wants to save up 190 dollars for a RRL oxford.

Also, j.crew has a lot more variety at the price point. Tons of colors for oxfords as opposed to RRL (or other similiar high end brands) 4 or 5 somewhat obtainable colors.

Leave people that don't want to spend 200 dollars on a shirt alone, jeez.

As far as I see it, I'll buy a 200 shirt and enjoy it for what it is and I'll buy a 50 dollar shirt and enjoy it for what it is as well.

The word quality is really starting to piss me off. I've never had to replace a j.crew shirt or a john varvatos, or a rag and bone, or a w+h shirt after a certain (rather minimal amount) of washes. WTF do you do with your shirts!?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never bought anything from J Crew. Actually, I've pretty much stopped buying "disposable" clothing. I don't get the point. I'd much rather build up a quality wardrobe slowly than get into the perpetual cycle of buying **** that needs to be replaced after 10 washes.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I've never bought anything from J Crew. Actually, I've pretty much stopped buying "disposable" clothing. I don't get the point. I'd much rather build up a quality wardrobe slowly than get into the perpetual cycle of buying **** that needs to be replaced after 10 washes.
+1 been on that frequency for a while. My wardrobe today is literally half to 2/3 smaller then it was a few years ago. But I'm way happier with it.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some disposable jcrew shirts that are several years old now.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have disposable Levis that are 5 years old or 6....

not bad for a $35 jean...

in fact i cant remember when i had a pair of Levis fall apart becasue of poor quality..

The term quality seems to get thrown around alot here. But really what your getting is the cut, material, and longevity.

you can get an ok cut with ok materials and it can last quit a while... plus not everyone can afford to buy a $200 shirt and may need 2 or 3 button ups today not over a period of months.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsjustadrian
I will most likely assume the same stance in clothing once I finish undergrad. I just wouldn't want to ruin a $200-$300 dollar shirt with stains from last night's irish car bomb frenzy.

This is perfectly fine I didn't even wear anything that nice in undergrad.

My use of disposable means I hate wearing it because of how it feels or fits so I end up disposing of it. If I didn't have nice stuff I wouldn't know the difference.

I blame teger for conducting the jcrew hypetrain.

PS. quality =/= durability

You can buy polyester dickies that will outlast you but I wouldn't say they are high quality.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
nah, he fell victim and jumped on the bandwagon being pulled by the train

stylo 9000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
dog

worship.gif

Originally Posted by wagthesam
**** W+H for catering to shorties. Total disapointment for me.

If you're buying a size small and you're 6'1", I'll go out on a limb and say it's probably better for everyone if it's short on you.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
polo rules all.

not gonna lie, never seen w+h, but i wouldnt doubt that its quality <<<<< rlpl or rlbl shirts

and at just a little over jcrew prices of $50 per shirt from woodbury, or maybe $100 on b&s if you want to know exactly what you are getting, its great value.

*cue fit police*

"w+h fit infinitely slimmer and therefore better than rlpl fit"

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
you have no idea what you're talking about razele rofl
I pay for everything myself out of my own pocket and have no financial help from anyone. If I can't afford what I want I don't replace it with crap, I just don't get it. I wish I found SF / SuFu years and years ago, I would have saved so much ******* money from buying **** that doesnt last, doesnt fit and is average quality. I also hate disposable culture.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
polo rules all. not gonna lie, never seen w+h, but i wouldnt doubt that its quality <<<<< rlpl or rlbl shirts and at just a little over jcrew prices of $50 per shirt from woodbury, or maybe $100 on b&s if you want to know exactly what you are getting, its great value. *cue fit police* "w+h fit infinitely slimmer and therefore better than rlpl fit"
If it fit slim (consistently) and didn't have the pony I would buy more basics from them. We get second rate stuff over here too. I would use alot of RLP / RLBL for professional clothing, when I get to that.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
its great to have the ideal to save up for nice pieces, but you have to wear something in the meantime. also it's not really appropriate to wear $1000 knits all the time

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random fashion thought: why would this pic of me make it's way onto hypebeast? lol
IMG_2311.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8