• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel Button-hole Style??

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Referring to the enclosed picture...is one style of lapel button-hole more common on custom jackets over the other? Comments appreciated...thank you.

bh-b.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tear drop boutonniere on Mafoofan's jacket can only be done nicely by hand. Nino Corvato uses these unless instructed otherwise (And only two customers have ever asked him to do it otherwise) because he feels it is both an elegant and custom look.

The other ones are fine but obviously more common.

Interestingly enough, I just picked up a DB suit from Corvato and it had straight lapel button holes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The American Living line at J.C. Penny has keyhole/teardrop lapel buttonholes, as do many high value brands other than Rubinacci or Corvato.

I think that you have to cut your own hole through the embroidery if you want to put a flower in...and it is a rare American Living model that has a keeper. It's not hard, though, to sew this on yourself.

Another brand that has keyhole/teardrop lapel buttonholes is Merona, which Target carries.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This has always been my favorite forum controversy. Truly the Bigendian / Littleendian dispute of our time.

Savile Row, I am sorry to say to you keyholers, considers anything but a straight cut buttonhole on a lapel to be absolutely the surest sign of a cheap suit. Probably because, in the UK, that is what cheap suits have. There is no tradition of a nicely shaped, handmade, teardrop buttonhole on the lapel of fine suit over there.

Also, there is an important distinction to be made here. A keyhole buttonhole is cut with a punch and looks absolutely regular in shape, like a lollipop. These really do look terrible, IMO.

A teardrop buttonhole is cut by hand and the wider end is irregular and smaller than the hole in a keyhole buttonhole. These don't look so bad to me, though I still prefer straight.

Also, the Neapolitan teardrop buttonhole tends to be very short, whereas the Savile Row straight buttonhole is quite long. A&S makes theirs 1 1/8" and calls them "Carnation buttonholes."

woolymammoth

Reaction score
May I ask what is the difference between a teardrop buttonhole and a keyhole buttonhole...pictures would be great...thank you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woolymammoth
May I ask what is the difference between a teardrop buttonhole and a keyhole buttonhole...pictures would be great...thank you.

Not to be mean, but did you see 'teardrop' and 'keyhole', then ignore all the sentence around them?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Keyhole:

keyhole2.jpg

This was cut with a punch, essentially a cookie cutter. Notice how perfectly round the wide end is, especially where it meets the longer portion of the buttonhole. Human hands cannot cut that shape so perfectly evenly.

This is a teardrop:

teardroplapel.jpg

It was cut by hand using very small scissors. The shape is more uneven, less perfectly round. You can see this especially where the open end meets the closed part.

Or, just think of the difference between a teardrop shape and lollipop shape. The latter is like this:

---o

The fomer is more like this:

--<l

woolymammoth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Keyhole:

keyhole2.jpg

This was cut with a punch, essentially a cookie cutter. Notice how perfectly round the wide end is, especially where it meets the longer portion of the buttonhole. Human hands cannot cut that shape so perfectly evenly.

This is a teardrop:

teardroplapel.jpg

It was cut by hand using very small scissors. The shape is more uneven, less perfectly round. You can see this especially where the open end meets the closed part.

Or, just think of the difference between a teardrop shape and lollipop shape. The latter is like this:

---o

The fomer is more like this:

--<l

Thank you very much for your kind response...I appreciate the explanation and the pictures.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The American Living jackets from J. C. Penny have a teardrop, like this chino sportcoat (which is on sale for $39.99, nearly down to StyleForvm B&S territory...!)

In contrast, the Merona jackets from Target have the keyhole.

I think that both styles can work. The key thing is that each uses their natural style, just like bespoke English jackets using the straight hole.

- B

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member