• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Does anyone know if the Persol 649 is available with 140mm arms in size 52-20? With 135mm the curve starts too far forward and doesn't hook around my ears properly. I've seen a couple of place offering this size but in both cases it turned out to be a mistake.

I dont know about this particular frame but most models will only come in 1 temple size even if they have 2 front sizes. That way they can have less variations in their production. Also if you saw them on online retailer, they might have made typos because 140mm is the "average" temple. That would be the size "most" temples come in.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I dont know about this particular frame but most models will only come in 1 temple size even if they have 2 front sizes. That way they can have less variations in their production. Also if you saw them on online retailer, they might have made typos because 140mm is the "average" temple. That would be the size "most" temples come in.

I'm pretty sure they do offer the longer temple with the larger sizes, such as 54. I think it would be too many typos otherwise.
Damn my giant braincase.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they do offer the longer temple with the larger sizes, such as 54. I think it would be too many typos otherwise. Damn my giant braincase.
CONFIRMED: this frame has 3 sizes. The 54 comes with a 140mm temple, BUT this frame is being discontinued.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
CONFIRMED: this frame has 3 sizes.

The 54 comes with a 140mm temple, BUT this frame is being discontinued.

Have you known 649 or similarly constructed glasses to warp at the middle? I had to return a pair recently which were twisted at the center point. I have been told that this is common.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
med_yukel_blk_g-15_side_2356.jpg

These look like shop glasses from back in the day. I like them.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you known 649 or similarly constructed glasses to warp at the middle? I had to return a pair recently which were twisted at the center point. I have been told that this is common.

Plastic frames can warp in the middle. This is common if you leave them in hot places like in the car or you live in a hot climate. There is a possibility that all plastic frames can twist when they get hot and cold.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trackstarr
Where can i get good quality aviators for under 75$?

Depends on what your definition of good is. Do you want them to last 1 yr? 3 yrs? 10yrs? Do you want detailing on the side? Do you want heavy duty hinges? Do want them to be painted well?

I have a few posts on my blog regarding quality of frames.

Let me know if you have any more questions....

sweep

Reaction score
CC,

I've got 3 questions, if you would be so generous as to oblige me:

(1) If you're trying to maximize eye protection, would you opt for full frame sunglasses over rimless? I would assume that rimless glasses would allow in much more light through the sides than a full frame would.

(2) Are there any outdoor situations where you would choose non-polarized glasses over polarized?

(3) If you're going to be spending lots of time on the water, you would choose lens with the lowest amount of light transmittance, correct? Are there any other factors to consider, assuming eye protection is the highest priority?

Thanks very much.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sweep
CC,

I've got 3 questions, if you would be so generous as to oblige me:

(1) If you're trying to maximize eye protection, would you opt for full frame sunglasses over rimless? I would assume that rimless glasses would allow in much more light through the sides than a full frame would.

(2) Are there any outdoor situations where you would choose non-polarized glasses over polarized?

(3) If you're going to be spending lots of time on the water, you would choose lens with the lowest amount of light transmittance, correct? Are there any other factors to consider, assuming eye protection is the highest priority?

Thanks very much.

Great questions...

1. Basically the more you cover the better it is for your eyes. Its like wearing clothes. Wearing more clothes will decreased your chances of a sun burn. So then why does Maui Jim make so many rimless pairs of sunglasses? Well, if you have noticed, most of the rimless sunglasses are curved quite a bit. When the lenses are curved, it wraps around your eyes/face limiting the amount of light coming around the lens. But in theory, the bigger and thicker the frame the better, but sometimes you want something a bit stylish.

2. Non-polarized could be better in situations like mountain biking after a rain fall. You want to see if he rocks are slick, with polarized lenses, you will not see the shine on the rocks or logs. Another situation would be skiing, sometimes you want to be able to see icy patches. Pilots must also wear non-polarized because they need to be able to see the gauges and also something around being able to see where water starts and sky ends.

3. If you're on the water, polarized will be hands down the best type of lens. It will cut the glare off the water allowing you to see the fish swim by and just be easier on your eyes in general. A friend of mine will not hit the waters unless he has his Maui Jims. He dropped it off the side of his boat once and went in after them. Polarized sunglasses are your friend on the water. One piece of advice though, wear sunscreen because you dont want racoon eyes.
wink.gif

ecs135

Reaction score
I have a couple questions.

(a) I'm trying to find a pair of Paul Smith 1007 Twig-Walnut frames, which have apparently been discontinued. I'd like to purchase them somehow, maybe online or by phone. Any suggestions about where I might start looking? (I have researched what I can about online eyeglass merchants, and the outlook is not promising so far. My next step is to start calling popular eyeglass stores that carry Paul Smith)

(b) I've heard many good things about Zeiss polycarbonate lenses, but I have also heard that Hoya's Phoenix material (lab located in Cleveland) may be superior in important respects. If you are in a good position to judge the difference, is one clearly superior to the other?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ecs135
I have a couple questions.

(a) I'm trying to find a pair of Paul Smith 1007 Twig-Walnut frames, which have apparently been discontinued. I'd like to purchase them somehow, maybe online or by phone. Any suggestions about where I might start looking? (I have researched what I can about online eyeglass merchants, and the outlook is not promising so far. My next step is to start calling popular eyeglass stores that carry Paul Smith)

(b) I've heard many good things about Zeiss polycarbonate lenses, but I have also heard that Hoya's Phoenix material (lab located in Cleveland) may be superior in important respects. If you are in a good position to judge the difference, is one clearly superior to the other?

A. Disco frames are quite tricky to find. Either you have to find a store which has them (which is luck of the draw) or have someone order it from the distributor in your country. For instance, if you are from the US, you will have to go to a licensed dealer and ask them to order it in for you. They will call the distributor and see if any are left. If the distributor doesn't have any left, basically, youre on your own to find it online or something.

B. To be honest, I deal much with Poly for reasons that I have mentioned in my blog. I would much rather wear high index lenses. From what I hear, the poly lenses that come out these days are much better than before but I am still skeptical. Sorry I cant be of much help regarding this.

Maybe someone else has had more experience with these lenses.... anyone?

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
City, Is there a good way to prevent yellowing and to clean nosepads? I hate how the nosepads turn yellow really quickly. I have some soft rubber nosepads like on these Mykita glasses. Any recommendations for cleaning solutions would help, thanks.
2vwz05w.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member