• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is an Omega Seamaster appropriate at my age?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
How is that working out for you... second guessing everything?

Maybe saving himself $900?
laugh.gif

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
How is that working out for you... second guessing everything?

Well it definitely hasn't landed a nice watch on my wrist yet, lol.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're asking all the right questions. Is there any possibility your manager is going to say "this kid is buying $2k watch, he doesn't need a great raise/bonus"? Also, are you positive its not a knockoff?

otherwise, I agree with longskate, buy the watch.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
I think you're asking all the right questions. Is there any possibility your manager is going to say "this kid is buying $2k watch, he doesn't need a great raise/bonus"? Also, are you positive its not a knockoff?

otherwise, I agree with longskate, buy the watch.

Of course, there's a slight possibility of that, but I don't see it happening. I've done a great job at work and constantly get good reviews, etc. It wouldn't be appropriate to skimp with me, unless it was happening across the board with the whole department or company.

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to have it verified for authenticity at a local authorized dealer. Plus, the seller has the original box, receipts, and paperwork, so I'm led to believe there's no issues on the authenticity part. These watches are going used for generally $1200-1300 these days. $900 is just a good, firesale price.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet no one in your office notices or cares, especially if the 'top guys' are as well off as you make them sound, they will not care that a young guy spent money on a watch.

In life, some people will love you for this stuff, others will hate you. But believe it or not, if you dont give them a watch to use for a reason, they'll find something else (for both sides of it).

Most of those 'top guys' more then likely have alot of these types of things and more, they just dont wear them to work. Work involves different mentalities, some people dont consider dressing up for work to be a something they bother doing.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just buy the watch. I have the same seamaster in blue. It's not too showy, it will go with everything, and no one will ever notice it unless you bring it up first. Appropriate for work, for play, for school. Enjoy it.
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
So much fuss about a watch... if you can afford it and you like it, buy it.
smile.gif

+1

FWIW, I got a Seamaster at about your age. Maybe a year or two younger. Nobody really notices these things and if they do, it's generally positive. For years it was my only watch, worn with everything and it did that job pretty well.

tqd1

Reaction score
Good points all around guys. Thank you.

I'll likely pull the trigger tomorrow.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Excellent topic - I'm glad someone posted this. I've been thinking about an Omega for a while and am 24 as well.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Get the watch. It's understated enough that no one will make a difference and quite honestly if they were worried about your spending style, the BMW would be a much bigger issue than your watch.

As for Graduate School, $900 might buy books for a couple of classes but if you're planning to work for a couple more years first, don't worry about it.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Get the watch. It's understated enough that no one will make a difference and quite honestly if they were worried about your spending style, the BMW would be a much bigger issue than your watch.

As for Graduate School, $900 might buy books for a couple of classes but if you're planning to work for a couple more years first, don't worry about it.

I guess I lose perspective of that sometimes, as they all drive BMWs and MBs. I feel like that's perfectly normal, but I feel wierd about wearing nice clothes or a watch.
smile.gif

Everyone's got their own style.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Great watch for you age and positioin. At that price you could wear it for a few years then sell it. You could most likely get your money back. Good choice.

Ktown

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix