• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular Opinions

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Does this mean I win as my opinion is the most unpopular?

I thought it was going to be the tweed guy, but you just might be the winner.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I used to hate many more things than I hate now. I almost don't feel bitter enough anymore.

Also, your idea that people shouldn't wear sportcoats is marsupialed. Really stupid. Whew, now I feel better.
smile.gif

Ah, no - this is marsupialed.

I rest my case.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was really un-called for paisley. You should post a warning before posting such a monstrosity!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO it doesn't look dressy. A suit looks dressy. Sportscoats and khakis look mis-matched and fuddly-duddly. Exception might be a sportscoat with jeans and a casual shirt, but not with khakis. Actually, the more I think about it maybe it's just the khakis bit I really loathe? Flay me alive!
Actually, the jeans + sport coat thing annoys me more than anything else. There are *very* few people who can pull it off, and so far, I can only think of one person I know personally who can. Re: khakis -- once again, they are like jeans. If they are not well fitting, and are paired poorly (like 99% of people out there), it will look horrible. Then again, I *am* a big fan of khakis/chinos (more comfortable than anything else for men).
Ah, no - this is marsupialed. I rest my case.
Well, I can show you several ill fitting suits that make people look like idiots. Doesn't make all suits bad or idiotic, just the people wearing them.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Warning for Emmanuel*
smile.gif

Is this what a sportscoat and khaki fan would consider stylish? The whole look just doesn't do it for me, especially the wrinkly pants. Looks like he got caught in a rain shower and dried his trousers out while he was sitting down in them...

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, get it out guys!

The only things I can think of:
- cream/ecru shirts (ehhch!)
- really ornate or loud ties/squares

I don't know if these are even that universally regarded. Other than that, I can see good combos made from most other stuff, even gusset loafers.
smile.gif

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
To stir up the pot, we could take the thread one step further and have someone be in charge of anonymous complaints about WAYWT posters. In any case, adding the whole thread up, we've basically hated on every fiber of wool, cotton, escorial, silk, polyester, mohair, rayon, cupro and bemberg that you could possibly hate on.
Well here's a challenge: show me a chino+sportscoat outfit that looks stylish.
I think these may be the very rare few times I've even worn an odd jacket with chinos.
yfyf-2008-06-01-re-1.jpg
yfyf-2008-07-11-re.jpg
yfyf-2008-04-22-2-re.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
-high school kids wearing light blue tuxedos to prom

-skin tight jeans

-displayed logos on anything besides sportswear

-color overkill

-paisley print

-ascots

-theatrical pocket squares

-metal banded watches

-general femininity in dress

-scarves of gossamer (you might as well be wearing a dress and makeup)

Kei-bon

Reaction score
whadja buy at Beams?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last is probably the closest to being stylish, chiefly because you're not wearing khakis and the colours in the pants/jacket at least compliment each other well because they contain the same green tone. Well done for giving that a go, but...

Personally I hate No. 2 and No. 1 is ruined by those crinkly pants. Don't anyone tell me matching pants to that jacket in No. 1 wouldn't improve that outfit.

Nexus6

Reaction score
My Dislikes (whether mentioned here or not).... 01) Marble-Bag Underwear (and Speedo's) 02) Anything by Etro (Dark, Stuffy & Brooding..looks like Victorian Upholstery) 03) Baggy Pants (Hangs on the body like a garbage bag) 04) Blousy Shirts (a la Brooks Brothers...though I own 2..I'm such a hypocrite) 05) Thin Ties & Fat Ties (3"-3 1/4" is best) 06) Giant Lapels (Think Burberry ads in GQ) 07) Frilly shirts (Goth / Austin Powers look..what's the difference) 08) Cowboy Hats (unless you ARE a Cowboy)(Cowboy Boots are ok for anyone) 09) Anything made of 'Micro-Fiber' -or- Polyester..especially 'Fine Imported Italian Polyester'
confused.gif
10) Square-Toed Shoes (Narrow, tapered 'Squared' is ok with me) 11) Thick 'Wooly Mammoth-Like' Sweaters (Alpaca excluded because it's a unique animal) 12) Wholecut Shoes (Magnificent new, but how to prevent creasing? Have people carry you?) 13) Socks that say 'GOLF' on them. (Children love to buy these for uncles & dads...why?) 14) Any Shirt with any message on it (no one actually reads them anyway) 15) Shoes with embossed LOGOs on them (Sadly, seems like standard procedure now) 16) Cardigan Sweaters. (Vests are ok though) 17) Thin Sole Shoes (I don't want to feel every pebble I walk on) 18) Bath Robes, Smoking Jackets, Sheepskin Slippers 19) Silk Pyjamas (Flannel for me please...if anything at all) 20) 4 Button Jackets (Unless you are an Usher, Soldier or presenting an Oscar) Honourable Mention A) Any LOUD Jacket (think Used Car Salesman) B) Over-Sized Thrifted Clothes / Shoes that men thrifted, thinking no one will notice. C) Un-Polished Shoes. (I don't care if a man is poor, but polish is inexpensive..no excuses!) D) Endless shades of GREY -Done
smile.gif
Addendum: After sleeping on it, I have changed my mind. All of the above, that I listed of my dislikes, I now officially LIKE. Makes me look all the better when others dress silly.
wink.gif

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I'm right about to embark on another trip to Tokyo and here we are in April again.
いいな〜。

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member