• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unpopular Opinions

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
Slim-fitting, high-water trousers--especially on folks with large feet and/or large upper bodies.

I think this applies to folks with small feet and small upper bodies as well. Its one of the worst trends in all of human history. I saw a guy the other day walking, I have no idea how he got his feet thru them... need zippers at the ankle like 80s chick jeans. Head over to denim and streetwear and they are climbing over eachother to buy this stuff... oy vey.

I'd have to say tassels as well... until they put some bells in 'em I aint wearin it.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
The Apparel Arts drawings
butbut.gif

so many things to second, but especially flashy socks and patchwork madras.

oh, and those high-necked, zip-front sweaters under sport coats that are all the rage in Men's Ex. i feel constrained just looking at them.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
G&G shoes

I think I've read this from you before. I'm curious for your reasoning, as I've heard you've sampled a few different brands.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monk strap shoes (single) I love double monks, go figure.

Closet queen shoes - I laugh when someone posts photos of their $1000 shoes which have never been outside

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I hate:

- purple

- wholecuts

- knit ties

- loud colored socks with suits

- one button suit jackets

- silk pocket squares

- linen pocket squares with colored borders

- contrast collar dress shirts

- peak lapel single breasted jackets

- suits with fancy-colored pinstripes

- black or navy trench coats

Would fancy colored pinstripes include the following: pinstripes in any shade of blue, chalkstripes in any color and self or tone on tone stripes, JayJay?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemax
I've warmed up to a lot of things since reading this forum. My list would've been a lot longer 6 months ago.

But I'm still hating on:
- knit ties
- pinstripe suits
- cuffs on trousers, period
- long cuffs on jeans
- wingtip boots
- dress shoes/boots with a very round toe (think Tricker's... + wingtips = *gag*)
- boat shoes (although I'm slowly warming up to these)
- monkstraps (metal + shoes = *gag*)

Do you only like solid suits, bluemax? Or, do you like patterned suits that are not pinstripes? Or, do you like solid suits and patterned suits that are not pinstripes?

Also, does your hate for pinstripes also apply to other types of stripes (such as beaded stripes, chalkstripes, rope stripes, etcetera)?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yeah, don't like that pairing at all. Wear a zip, wear a sportcoat, but not both. Make up your mind.
+1

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Would fancy colored pinstripes include the following: pinstripes in any shade of blue, chalkstripes in any color and self or tone on tone stripes, JayJay?
Stripes in purple, red, gold, green, and the like.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Stripes in purple, red, gold, green, and the like.

In that case, stripes in blue are not one of those fancy stripes that you hate. Excellent!!!!!
cool.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sportscoats and blazers that don't match the pants (double hate if they are chinos, triple if it's a naval blazer).

I say either wear a suit or go shirtsleeves, unless you're an old man, in which case wear a naval blazer with gold buttons and some clunky brown AEs.

Also, "puffy" pocket squares... hate 'em!

(Yes - I am prepared to be destroyed after making these opinions public here!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads