• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite suit label?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Isaia makes the Gold Fleece suits?

AFAIK, not the Golden Fleece. Back in the late 90's Brooks Brothers had a high-end section, very short lived, which was on the 6th floor of the 346 Madison main store. Isaia was the maker for its suits in this line. There was no particular name for this line, other than Made in Italy. It was not the Golden Fleece line. There were also shirts and ties and such.

I have a suit from this line and it's one of my favorite.

Back to the OP, clearly from all the different posts there is no consensus on what or who makes the best label. Many particular styles (slim lapel, unpadded or minimally padded shoulders...etc) works on some people and not on others. Each individual body is different, and what's sad is for the wearer to blindly subscribe to some internet choice. For instance, somebody with a droopy shoulder who insist on wearing non shoulder padded jackets.

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Interesting... They still make the Paul Stuart SC suits, right?

No longer, according to my PS salesman (but take it with a grain of salt, as he is weird).

mercretas

Reaction score
jimmyoneil - Here's a pic of the Ralph Lauren Signature line tag:

RLBlazerTag.jpg

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PRL "Polo II" might be the most classic silhouette you can get for the $. If Polo made a 39L I would be on cloud nine. RLBL fits me the best off the rack but the proportions aren't my favorite.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
I always need a slim fitting suit, as my build is rather small, 5"7' close to 5"8', 144 lb. That is usually a bit awkward size, as a 38 would be just a bit too big and 36 might or might not work depends on the brand (a 31 waist is also not helping...).

I have the same build as you and I feel your pain...
frown.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian,
Go and check out Isaia, it may change your life. The base S is forgiving in the chest and the shoulders, not so much in the gut, but that is what we have tailors for.
Construction is amazing, the details are all there, and can still be found on sale.

coverto

Reaction score
Another vote for Isaia and Battistoni. An interesting comment above on the jacket lengths for Isaia, which I've also noticed - there is a somewhat disconcerting variation in fit among various iterations of a given Isaia model. Still, the fit is pretty darn good just about every time.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I was a 33 waist, but then I started to run 5K everyday, cut down to 31 pretty fast, basically back to my high school shape. That did come at a price though, didn't lift much, so my chest wasn't as big as before. Basically went from a solid 38 to 36/38. I am trying to gain back some muscle without growing too much on the chest lately, let's see how that works out...

I have 3 Versace, one is Gianni Versace Couture, the other 2 were Versace Collections. I have to say they're one my favorites.

Have you tried Ermenegildo Zegna, I don't like how the shoulder look, too flat for my taste, and a bit loose on the front as well, but that might just work for you, or better yet, you can try a 3 piece.

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
^i really wish I was your size. 31 waist and slim figure is always my dream. I hate being man boobed, bloated stomach and trying to cinch up a size 34 pant. I look terrible in suits so I got to really look hard. Slim figures can pop any suit on and look like a mannequin.

Of the designers I like versace as well. One of the better silhouettes amongs the mainstream designers.
Even versace collection

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Brian,
Go and check out Isaia, it may change your life. The base S is forgiving in the chest and the shoulders, not so much in the gut, but that is what we have tailors for.
Construction is amazing, the details are all there, and can still be found on sale.

I have been looking at the s isaia chalkstripe selling on b and s and I'll go check it out at my local NM one day thanks antirabbit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what did you usually end up buying, 36S? I am 36 for almost all brand except RLBL, a 36 is just a bit too tight when I close the button, 38S for RLBL is perfect for me (except some minor adjustment).

By the way have people tried any new RLBL for this year, it seems the waist suppression is just a tiny bit more than last year's model. The button also seems just a tiny bit lower as well, am I imagine something
eh.gif
?

Originally Posted by mkarim
I have the same build as you and I feel your pain...
frown.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Well, I was a 33 waist, but then I started to run 5K everyday, cut down to 31 pretty fast, basically back to my high school shape. That did come at a price though, didn't lift much, so my chest wasn't as big as before. Basically went from a solid 38 to 36/38. I am trying to gain back some muscle without growing too much on the chest lately, let's see how that works out...

I have 3 Versace, one is Gianni Versace Couture, the other 2 were Versace Collections. I have to say they're one my favorites.

Have you tried Ermenegildo Zegna, I don't like how the shoulder look, too flat for my taste, and a bit loose on the front as well, but that might just work for you, or better yet, you can try a 3 piece.

If anything, I would kill to reduce my vestigial muscle down to a slim skin and bone runner's body anyday. I've worked out for years and that is now just a regret in hindsight. Anything looks good in a slim figure: suits to jeans and hoodies.

I don't like zegna. I don't know why.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually surprisingly, not even a single person said Giorgio Armani yet
tongue.gif
, personally I do think there are some nice suit from Armani, cut wise. It's a bit conservative compare to other fashion house I suppose. It's just the suit I liked from them were never on sale enough for me to be tempted enough to buy
tongue.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually surprisingly, not even a single person said Giorgio Armani yet
tongue.gif
, personally I do think there are some nice suit from Armani, cut wise. It's a bit conservative compare to other fashion house I suppose. It's just the suit I liked from them were never on sale enough for me to be tempted enough to buy
tongue.gif

Armani falls very short on the quality side when compared to the suits mentioned in this thread.
You buy Armani (and pay a huge premium) for the "Armani cut", which is unique, but way too expensive for what it really s.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
styloo8