• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you tip taxi drivers?

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Make up your mind. Is the tip included in the fare, or do you tip above what the ride costs?

i think what he meant was that the fare of a cab is supposed to be what the meter reads plus a small amount known as a tip.

but i dont see where he got this rule from.

a lot of waiters actually get paid below minimum wage. they make their money off tips. therefore you are paying them directly for the service rather than their employer.

but i do not see a necessary requirement to pay a cabbie above what the meter reads. you are already paying him for his services.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
What? The price that is charged as a fair is charged with the assumption that you will tip. If nobody tipped, the base price of the cab ride would cost more. That's why I say it's 'priced in'.

where the hell are you getting this information from?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
0 i dont consider rounding up to the nearest dollar tipping. its more of just a convenience for myself. i dont understand why the **** one must tip everyone these days.
You live in NYC and don't tip cab drivers? What a Ghulkann

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
You live in NYC and don't tip cab drivers? What a Ghulkann

I would love to see the look on the cab driver's face as Ghulkan hands him a $5 for his $4.65 cab ride waiting for the change...

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Yes and they still scoff when you use a card so my boss or I always say we'll leave them a good tip...since we're not paying for it.
They scoff because now it's not a cash business, it's on the books and they have to report the income and pay taxes on it. It's a shame when people have to pay taxes.

Deluks917

Reaction score
I always, assuming I have the money, tip as extravagantly as I can. 30-40% to hairdressers, taxi's, etc. I've worked some ****** jobs and always could've used a tip.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

I tip a generous amount in other situations but I cannot justify tipping cab drivers.

The only times I have ever tipped a cab driver is if he did something "extra" like help take baggage out of the trunk or if people were getting picked up or dropped off at multiple addresses. Other than that it is a no go for me. And plus, a lot of them try to rip you off by taking the longer route home which is ridiculous. They act like I do not know my way around the city or something. One time, a cab driver actually made a pit stop somewhere saying he needed to get some money from a friend he stops in front of an apartment and runs up stairs. After about five minutes of waiting where the meter was still running, my friend and I just left...

I generally tip 15-20 percent at restaurants with decent service. I tip 25-30 percent at restaurants that I regularly go to or ones that have exceptionally good service. However, at the Spotted Pig..I tipped the waitress zero dollars on a 180 dollar bill. She was not doing anything but whining like a little ***** the entire time. And she threw a hissy fit when my friend showed up and sat down a half hour after we had arrived. The host knew he was coming and was running a little late. She was upset. We had already ordered a while ago and I just wanted to add his food onto the order but she would not let us. So I just told one of the busboys to add on to the order. He seemed to be doing everything that she did not do the entire night anyway. She never even brought out our appetizers in the beginning of the meal and we had to ask that busboy for them. He was providing great service. So at the end of the night we left her zero and just slipped him 40 dollars on our way out.

The only other person I tip is the lady who cuts my hair. I tip her around 50-60 percent. I tip her assistant around 20 dollars. She washes my hair.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not exact math, but this is what I usually do: around $2 plus change if it's around $10; $3 plus change for fares between $12-$15; $4 plus change for under $20; and $5 plus change for $20-$30. I only paid a $40 fare once, and I gave the cabbie $10 because he was pulled over for driving without his headlights on. The ticket was around $100, IIRC. Nice old guy was having a rough night. I felt bad.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
hahaha you are such a ******* douchebag ghulkhan

good one!

runner-guy

Reaction score
I tip pretty much the same as others on here. I don't have much experience with cabs since I live in the Detroit burbs, but when I go to Chicago or Vegas I usually tip a few bucks on a $10 or $12 ride. Last time I was in Vegas going from the airport to the hotel, I tipped like $4 on a $12 ride and the guy looked pissed off! I couldn't believe it.

Patrician

Reaction score
I always use my CC and I don't have time to mess around with the slip, so if you guys want tip don't let me in your yellow cab.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth