• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite shirt material?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
No. Mafoo was very rude to tell me to bring Riva to Tom Ford like a jackass when this is completely unrelated. Mafoo's replies to me are generally extremely condescending.

Let me say this, I very much respect Mafoo's knowledge of menswear and his skill using the english language. At times he has been helpful. However, he can have a very nasty condescending tone to his replies - that I do not appreciate and as a result it drives me to post rude replies.

Most people have dismissed you as a troll or, even worse, for being dim. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, despite your obtuseness and the numerous threads you've started on exactly the same subject. My facetious suggestion that you ask Tom Ford about Riva cotton was meant to get you thinking about whether you should be rushing into things without really knowing what you're doing. After all, that's how you got in trouble with your Tom Ford suit. You assumed Tom Ford was the greatest thing ever and ignored everyone's warnings attempting to bring you back to earth, insisting we couldn't possibly know better than Tom Ford, the Most Trustworthy Super-Master-God-Tailor in the Universe. The next thing you know, you're in an ill-fitting, half-rayon suit with tumor-shoulders that cost nearly $4,000, and everyone has to spend days pitching in to help you get it fixed. As if all the preceding wasn't already too ridiculous to be true, it turns out all you wanted all along were shoulders that fit and some waist suppression.

Now, you are thinking of buying several hundred dollars worth of shirting fabric you know nothing of other than by reputation. Are you really surprised that patience with you is running thin?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Most people have dismissed you as a troll or, even worse, for being dim. I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, despite your obtuseness and the numerous threads you've started on exactly the same subject. My facetious suggestion that you ask Tom Ford about Riva cotton was meant to get you thinking about whether you should be rushing into things without really knowing what you're doing. After all, that's how you got in trouble with your Tom Ford suit. You assumed Tom Ford was the greatest thing ever and ignored everyone's warnings attempting to bring you back to earth, insisting we couldn't possibly know better than Tom Ford, the Most Trustworthy Super-Master-God-Tailor in the Universe. The next thing you know, you're in an ill-fitting, half-rayon suit with tumor-shoulders that cost nearly $4,000, and everyone has to spend days pitching in to help you get it fixed. As if all the preceding wasn't already too ridiculous to be true, it turns out all you wanted all along were shoulders that fit and some waist suppression.

Now, you are thinking of buying several hundred dollars worth of shirting fabric you know nothing of other than by reputation. Are you really surprised that patience with you is running thin?

OK Mafoo, the point is don't assume my ignorance in the fit of suits stretches to all walks of menswear. There was no need to continue to be a jackass in a completely unrelated thread. Period.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I was thinking of getting my hands on some Carlo Riva swatches as I heard they are very soft and nice. Including from Mimmo Siviglia's daughter who I spoke to about two years ago over the phone, many people on AAAC, and even you on your blog.

I would not be ordering 3 yards of anything w/o seeing a swatch in person. I've been ordering yards of shirtings from Europe for years.

I have been getting MTM trousers & bespoke shirts for years. I just find it very irratating when you talk to me like a jackass.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK Mafoo, the point is don't assume my ignorance in the fit of suits stretches to all walks of menswear. There was no need to continue to be a jackass in a completely unrelated thread. Period.

I didn't assume anything. You said you had never seen or touched Riva shirting fabric; I asked you if you did. Hence, you were considering buying something you knew nothing about -- again. If you can show me where my assumption was, I'll eat my words.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't assume anything. You said you had never seen or touched Riva shirting fabric; I asked you if you did. Hence, you were considering buying something you knew nothing about -- again. If you can show me where my assumption was, I'll eat my words.

Wrong. I do know about the shirtings. That is WRONG. I have not examined the product enough to purchase BUT I know enough about it to pursue getting my hands on some swatches.

Very simple

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wrong. I do know about the shirtings. That is WRONG. I have not examined the product enough to purchase BUT I know enough about it to pursue getting my hands on some swatches.

Very simple

Yes, it is simple, but not in the way you imagine. You weren't talking about shirtings in general. You were talking about a specific maker.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is simple, but not in the way you imagine. You weren't talking about shirtings in general. You were talking about a specific maker.

Yes, you are right. From a specific maker. I was thinking that I was interested in getting swatches or finding someone with a swatch book of the shirtings and perhaps ordering some if possible. That's all.

I understand my TF posts conveyed extreme ignorance but I assure you my ignorance regarding suits is not pervasive spreading to all other areas.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although casual, nothing is more comfortable on my skin than Oxford cotton, and it is durable.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cheers.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ OK Kiss and make up.

This time of year my favorite shirtings are wool, cot/cash, vyella or silk. And don't give me no sh*t about silk shirts- it's -5 F for a high today.

allan1

Reaction score
100% cotton
sometime i don't mind poly-cotton for work shirt (as they are easier to iron than thick 100% cotton like oxford shirting fabrics).

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue cotton herringbones
Linen/cotton blends

I've been pretty impressed by the Alumo books I've handled. Kiton Riva shirts are nice, but I dont know if the added value is really worth the $650+ retail.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Blue cotton herringbones
Linen/cotton blends

I've been pretty impressed by the Alumo books I've handled. Kiton Riva shirts are nice, but I dont know if the added value is really worth the $650+ retail.

ya 650 is expensive. i hear that their buttons are hand sewn and the shoulders are partly or all made by hand (this is coming from SA's so who knows)

Alumo is really nice stuff - I like the fabric better than Thomas Mason but most of the Alumo stuff is very simple solids/stripes etc.. if you want anything a bit more bold you have to venture into TM silver

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavid20224