• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cars on the Street in Tokyo

hypersonic

Reaction score
Awesome.

My friends at GermanCarZone.com would love this thread
fing02[1].gif

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, getting back on topic... The thing about Tokyo is that very very few people own a car because there's generally no need, and also it's very expensive. So there is a small parking garage at my work, but the only people that get a parking space are director level or higher. Most of the vehicles there are the typical late-model German or Italian cars, but there are a couple I found particularly interesting. One is a mint condition Dino GT. My humble photographs doesn't really do it justice; the paint actually looks a bit glossier in person.
IMG_1221_sm.jpg
IMG_1222_sm.jpg
Also, a farily modified 2000 RX-7 type RZ. The last RX-7 sold in the States only until 1995, but they produced them in Japan until 2002. The later models had many improvements -- much more power, upgraded suspension and improved reliability, so it's a shame these didn't make it stateside. This particular model, the type RZ, was a special edition model of which only a few were produced.
IMG_1223_sm.jpg

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
If you're looking at the Elise or Exige, make sure you get in and out of the car a few times before deciding anything else. That tends to be the first deal breaker for many people. The ride is the second.

I think the ride is exactly as it should be. Getting in and out...that's why I bought a Miata instead.

Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
For Vaclav in memory of his "Trad Cars of Europe" thread lost in the Great Crash of '06.

volvo1.jpg

I've always thought it would be a fun project to take an old Volvo 122 and turn it into a hot rod. What do you think the biggest engine that would fit under that hood? A Rover V8, maybe? A Nissan V6? Volvo's biturbo straight six?

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
The weight distribution is what set the RX-7 apart, IMO. The Miata, while a fun drive, still has that classic front-engine roadster feel. I like my engine as close to the middle as possible, and if it can't be actually mid-engined, the RX-7s tiny rotary shoved way up in the engine bay is the next best thing.

The Miata has 50/50 weight distribution and a front-mid engine (engine ahead of the front axle) too.

While roughly half a world away from Tokyo, here are some shots I took of mine at my parents' house after I moved back to the States and bought it. I guess some may see it as "feminine" but in my experience either one gets (as Ken W. Purdy put it) pour le sport, or one doesn't. It's a 2001 Special Edition, which means it came in British Racing Green paint with tan leather, a wood Nardi steering wheel (best steering wheel ever!) and wood Nardi shift knob, a wood e-brake handle, and fake wood on the dash. The hardtop was a factory option. The grille, Panasport wheels, and cat back are aftermarket. It's probably as un-feminine as a Miata can get.

pict0123yd1.jpg

pict01251ul4.jpg

pict01272sj9.jpg

pict0129vo6.jpg

At the time, we were a green car family, though I'm the only one who still has one.

Originally Posted by Mustapha
but since this thread is Japanese oriented and increasingly towards underappreciated vintage Japanese machines I will say that the Subaru SVX needs to be part of this whole discussion as well.

IMO, the SVX is a clutch pedal away from greatness. (Ditto the somewhat contemporary Mercedes 300CE.) It's one of my favorite looking coupes of all time, but I cannot imagine driving a car with an automatic transmission.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elstir2024