• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who call you up for no reason at all...

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a very close friend who regularly calls for no particular reason. He's like a little brother to me, and I try to look out for him since his family isn't here. Without fail he will call on a daily basis even if he has nothing to say. Usually when I ask "what's going on?" the answer is "nothing, I'm bored." The conversation is usually a few minutes of mindless banter about TV or movies until I say I gotta go.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this weird for a guy to be doing? Seems more common to girls.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend like this. Calls just to say whassup. He goes through all his contacts in about 48 hours and starts again.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not if you're very close friends. I usually talk to my best friend 1-2 times per day, not really about anything, just seeing what is up. It really is kind of like calling your SO just to check in though. Nothing long with a little bromance IMO.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if hes not really bugging you, or asking you for something, i dont see how its bad. im sure you feel a little better that you know someone cares enough to call you. you probably mean a lot to him and thats his way of just seein how you are etc. how would you feel if he didnt call you anymore?

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
sounds somewhat a situation i have.. except its not a close friend. just the coworker who works on the other side of our floor.. but who comes and sits on my desk in my office everyday without invite. the convo usually consists of him bantering on about the specifics of the way he handles his playstation 3 controller in various gaming situations down to every button pressed or of some strange article he read about drug running or marijuana farmers. or else it'll be verbal attacks on other people we work with who for all i know can hear everything he says. i sit in silence and nod occasionally, but i usually turn back to my computer and continue with whatever i was doing.

god i hate that guilt by association feeling i get when the other guys i work with assume i must be fond of the guy or somehow on his level in any way. i'm just not good at letting him have it. so i hope he'll get the hints.. but he is not very perceptive either. he needs some friends.

somecallmebj

Reaction score
Don't really have anybody like this myself, but my sister had a classmate who lived in the same apartment complex that not only called her all the time, but would show up at her door without prior notice. She said once she looked out the peep hole randomly and there she was, just standing there looking torn between knocking on the door or walking away. Creepy.

I don't talk much on the phone anymore anyway. It's mostly online conversation or texts.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
if hes not really bugging you, or asking you for something, i dont see how its bad. im sure you feel a little better that you know someone cares enough to call you. you probably mean a lot to him and thats his way of just seein how you are etc. how would you feel if he didnt call you anymore?
Well it's comforting to here that this is not an unusual phenomenon. Maybe its because I'm not one of these people who can't live without their cellphones for calling and texting people 24/7 that this is a bit odd to me. He is an absolutely great guy, and he is like family to me, and I absolutely don't want him to stop calling or anything like that. I like the term "bromance" which quite aptly describes it.
smile.gif
Solid advice all around guys
thumbs-up.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I have a very close friend who regularly calls for no particular reason. He's like a little brother to me, and I try to look out for him since his family isn't here. Without fail he will call on a daily basis even if he has nothing to say. Usually when I ask "what's going on?" the answer is "nothing, I'm bored." The conversation is usually a few minutes of mindless banter about TV or movies until I say I gotta go.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this weird for a guy to be doing? Seems more common to girls.

nothing wrong with it. maybe he is looking to ask you for something or needs some help but cannot have courage to tell you yet. perhaps you can offer to take him out to lunch or something and probe his mind.
or maybe it is just a little 'bromance' as stated above. hahaha what a term.

i usually dont have friends to do mindless banter with. mine are just come with the territory , they come and go: from work, church, or community, whereever i move to i dont feel compelled to keep in touch my 'friends' always change as i come and go. they are only at the level of acquaintance anyways at the most.

my true guy friends are usualy just my brother, my brother-in-law. everybody else are just acquaintances. but even my brothers i dont really do any mindless chit chat over the phone either. it is a bit awkward. we only call each other up when we got to relay some info or directions or meet me here or we are going there see you there , etc something like that.

dont get me wrong. my acquaintances are very important people to me too. if they ever want to banter with me, all the welcome. but idont really get that much.

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Seems like every time it never fails,
It never fails...
I'm just chillin' in my crib,
Minding my own business,
And somebody calls me just to talk about nothing...

FUNK DAT!
Get a life!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty common among my circle of friends. We are all pretty tight and can call each other whenever for any reason. I remember I used to get really pissed sometimes when I would get random calls. I started ignoring the calls and then when they stopped coming I kind of missed them...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sometimes its great just to talk about nothing. My friend girls do this to me alot, not dudes so much though, i usually talk enough with them on playstation 3.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florenceahillips