• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pen advice.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi,

I wish to purchase a pen for a friend who was recently set free from his job. I know nothing about pens and my budget is $300.

Any thoughts?

lefty

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pens are as personal as shoes -- what fits me and what I like may not work for you. My advice is to take him to a pen shop and let him try various makes and models. If you are considering a fountain pen, this is even more important as nib size, style, ink, paper, etc. affect writing. Waterman and Pelikan are brands which offer good values at many price points. If you are not knowledgable about pens, find a good retailer who does. Also, check out:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com

Hope this helps,
Twotone

Pelikan2

Reaction score
I echo what two-tone said above. Pens are very personal, depending upon hand size, handwriting size, and preferences.

If it's a fountain pen you're looking for, Fine nibs are probably the most popular and are amenable to most styles of handwriting. If you absolutely want this to be a gift/surprise, I suppose I'd recommend a Pelikan m600. It's medium-sized, classically styled and a good performer. I also like Waterman pens, and the Exception is a nice option for a slightly more formal pen.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conceptually fountain pens are real nice, classic, gentlemanly, the "lost art of writing in the age of e-mail" and all that romantic/nostalgic stuff.

However, it takes some getting used to, it can be messy and a bit of hassle to those not used to it, and in some eyes a bit pretentious.

Best safe bet, not knowing what the recipient's taste/preferences is like, is to either give a ballpoint or rollball pen. The exact configuration/brand is another matter.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
+1
Lamy 2000

I love the Lamy 2000 as well. Much less than $300, to boot.

I have to echo the other posters' comments, if you're getting a fountain pen, it helps to know what size nib be prefers.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, fellows. I'll look at the recommendations.

It's a gift, so he needs some flexibility if he wishes to exchange it. Is there a good pen shop in NYC?

lefty

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd be careful about picking a fine nib. They tend to write less smoothly. To be safe, I'd stick to medium. If your friend prefers fine or extra-fine, he can always exchange the pen before filling it.

A Lamy is fine pen, but more of a pen I'd buy for myself. I'd pick something a little less utilitarian as a gift. Pelikans are great, if not a bit stiff--but if he's a pen collector, and doesn't have one, he should. My personal favorites are Caran D'ache and ST Dupont. Purists reject them because the aren't piston fillers, but they are made extremely well and the nibs are as smooth as you can hope for.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd be careful about picking a fine nib. They tend to write less smoothly. To be safe, I'd stick to medium. If your friend prefers fine or extra-fine, he can always exchange the pen before filling it.

A Lamy is fine pen, but more of a pen I'd buy for myself. I'd pick something a little less utilitarian as a gift. Pelikans are great, if not a bit stiff--but if he's a pen collector, and doesn't have one, he should. My personal favorites are Caran D'ache and ST Dupont. Purists reject them because the aren't piston fillers, but they are made extremely well and the nibs are as smooth as you can hope for.

He's not a pen collector, but is a soon-to-be unemployed writer. I'm hoping it's an appropriate gift.

lefty

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
He's not a pen collector, but is a soon-to-be unemployed writer. I'm hoping it's an appropriate gift.

lefty

You can't go wrong with a Pelikan. It's well-respected by pen people, nicely finished, and reliable. Regardless of your expertise or interest in pens, nothing is more frustrating than a pen that doesn't flow properly.

Personally, I think a black Dupont Olympio would be perfect. Who wouldn't like a pretty black pen that writes really smoothly?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My personal favorites are Caran D'ache and ST Dupont.

ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheos are my favorite fountain pens. Mostly, because the nibs are exceptionally smooth writing, and while stiff like a contemorary pen, they still manage to give a vintage flexiness in writing feel.

The brass bodies are made like vaults, and the even the basic black Chinese lacquer has a liquid depth that is both subtle and luxurious (there are elaborate optional finishes available also, of course). Everything about the construction is first rate.

The filling system is pedestrian, but I dislike pistons because I can never escape having ink weep into the cap.

I have four of them, so you can say that I like them a lot.

Here's a big Orpheo sitting on the Valextra wallet in one of my WAYWRN accessory shots:

282793144_TxCoS-L.jpg

- B

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, fellows. I'll look at the recommendations.

It's a gift, so he needs some flexibility if he wishes to exchange it. Is there a good pen shop in NYC?

lefty

Fountain Pen Hospital is probably the best pen store in NYC. Joon is OK too but generally looses to FPH in selection and the quality of sales help. Prices are similar (20%-25% off list price is standard for most brands).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Fountain Pen Hospital is probably the best pen store in NYC. Joon is OK too but generally looses to FPH in selection and the quality of sales help. Prices are similar (20%-25% off list price is standard for most brands).

Thanks, D.

I'll check it out. Now I want a new pen for myself as well.

lefty

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My choices, in no particular order: A Pelican fountain pen, a Cross ballpoint, and a Foray Rollerball. The first is a smaller pen, good for travel (assuming you want to travel with a fountain pen, which may not be so smart); the second is my everyday pen; the third I keep a stock of in my office. Sorry for the lousy pic - hopefully the next iphone will have a decent camera
pens.jpg
As for Mont Blanc pens, I used to have a Boheme with the retractable nib, but I lost it. Still pisses me off today, I really liked it. Taught me not to travel with an expensive pen
mtb06318.jpg

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, D. I'll check it out. Now I want a new pen for myself as well. lefty
I looked at a simmilar thread here some time a go ... I have now found my self wanting a Sailor King kobra (only for the nib) ... Even considered bying a complete set @ rautken for a short time (but im not that NUTS)
lol8[1].gif
I could after all get lots of shoes for the 7000$ or so the complete set of NIB's would have cost me ... I stil want a pen from them, but il start in the lower end.
Originally Posted by Big A
My choices, in no particular order: The first is a smaller pen, good for travel (assuming you want to travel with a fountain pen, which may not be so smart); the second is my everyday pen; the third I keep a stock of in my office. As for Mont Blanc pens, I used to have one of these but I lost it. Still pisses me off today, I really liked it. Taught me not to travel with an expensive pen
I travel a lott, and my Lamys hold up nicely thank you. Have a wide nib 2000, a limited ed 2000 balpoint (ceramic /sterlingsilver) and a 2000 quadro (I have swaped out the green with PDA tip) But as a gift i think a Parker 100 or a Waterman Carene would be nice. But then a gain I DONT like MontBlanc

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sallydaveis