• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchmen

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably the best Graphic Novel ever, followed by Kingdom Come as a very close second.

I cna't wait for this movie, especially if Snyder did this movie the same way he did 300, a page for page translation to the screen.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the neon fruit supermaket
I picked it up last year and have to agree that it greatly surpasses the sometime pejorative of "graphic novel". I wasn't expecting the psychology of what makes a person put on a mask and turn to vigilantism to be fleshed out so well.

In my experience, the book got this analysis wrong.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I cna't wait for this movie, especially if Snyder did this movie the same way he did 300, a page for page translation to the screen.

Given the amount of material in Watchmen, I don't know if that would work. Plus, Moore's comics haven't really translated that well onto film.

Personally, I've always felt that Watchmen would work much better as a six-part miniseries on something like HBO or Showtime than as a two hour movie.

I always preferred Miller's Daredevil - Born Again to TDKR. Dunno why.
+1. I'm a big fan of that story arc, but I think TDKR got more publicity and acclaim because in that story, Miller was dealing with an iconic figure like Batman while Daredevil has always been, until Miller, more of a second-tier figure in the Pantheon of Marvel superheroes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
+1. I'm a big fan of that story arc, but I think TDKR got more publicity and acclaim because in that story, Miller was dealing with an iconic figure like Batman while Daredevil has always been, until Miller, more of a second-tier figure in the Pantheon of Marvel superheroes.

I am a big fan of second-tier figures. ( I guess if I had to pick one of the "Big Three" I'd be a Spiderman guy) Never really understood the appeal of Superman or Batman to the extent that they are loved. Batman is definitely better than the Boy Scout though, especially when he goes nuts.

Maybe Its just me.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I would highly recommend picking up the graphic novel on ebay or at your local bookseller.

Its pretty much the pinnacle of the comic book genre. It surpasses it, in many people's opinion, and becomes actual serious literature.

The last may be an exaggeration born of low expectations, but it is a great read.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Given the amount of material in Watchmen, I don't know if that would work. . .

Personally, I've always felt that Watchmen would work much better as a six-part miniseries on something like HBO or Showtime than as a two hour movie. . .

This is a good insight. I agree. It could use an extended mini-series treatment, though I don't think the economics are as good as for a feature film. Unless you go low budget, the production costs for a six to twelve hour project are too high and the payoff is too low.

. . .Plus, Moore's comics haven't really translated that well onto film. . .
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Was there ever a greater waste of potential than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? What a terrific story ruined.
+1

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always preferred Miller's Daredevil - Born Again to TDKR. Dunno why.
DD has always been one of my favorites. The Miller issues were incredible, on par with anything written for Batman. I have my concerns about the Watchmen. I'd probably prefer to see it serialized, as others have mentioned. They'll be getting my money all the same, but . . . .

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

somecallmebj

Reaction score
I gotta admit, that looks so much better than I thought it would. Pretty damn close as far as looks go if you ask me. The trailer seemed to set the right tone as well.

Now I'm interested to see how they did Tales of the Black Freighter.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somecallmebj
I gotta admit, that looks so much better than I thought it would. Pretty damn close as far as looks go if you ask me. The trailer seemed to set the right tone as well.

Now I'm interested to see how they did Tales of the Black Freighter.

Same on both accounts.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw the trailer ahead of The Dark Knight tonight. I'm not sure about this one. Dr. Manhattan looked cool but the other people looked like they were wearing bad costumes. I'll still see it.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its pretty much the pinnacle of the comic book genre. It surpasses it, in many people's opinion, and becomes actual serious literature.
I would certainly agree it is one of the very best comic books of all times, along with works like Spiegelman's Maus or Taniguchi's Quartier Lointain (don't know the English title for that one). I would be more reluctant to call it the "pinnacle". Also I don't quite agree with your analysis that it "surpasses it". It certainly surpasses the small niche of super-hero comic books, but I wouldn't say it surpasses the "comic book" genre in general. If anything, it is just one of the many examples proving that comic books can be a legitimate and deep art form.
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
The last may be an exaggeration born of low expectations, but it is a great read.
You deem it exaggerated to say that it is as good and deep as serious literature?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SARUAR1258