• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper Boots

nordicstyle

Reaction score
What are people's opinions on zipper boots vs. pull-on boots (lace-ups and Chelsea boots not included)?

I'm in the market for a pair of western style cowboy boots, but I'm not sure if I should go for the classical pull-on or the lower zipper style.

Here are two examples to illustrate:

034378_22_lt_440x440.jpg

034315_47_p1_440x440.jpg

I can imagine the zipper boots being more comfortable to wear--not to mention easier to put on and take off--and also be more suitable for warmer weather/indoor wear, since the pull-ups cover more of your leg. I will never wear the boots with pants tucked in, so the stitching pattern will never be visiable anyway.

I'm leaning towards the zipper boots for comfort and price (apparently, some zipper boots are cheaper than pull-on boots with similar construction quality), but I am also fascinated by the clean cut look of the pull-on boots (i.e. no zipper to mess up the aesthetics).

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
The pull on looks better but if you wont be showing the side...

The sides don't normally show, but I already own a pair of (cheap) zipper western style boots, and whenever I sit down and cross my legs or put one leg on top of the other, I see the zipper and it kind of annoys me.. (Probably I'm the only one noticing, but...)

I agree the pull-ons look better, but are they as comfortable to wear? Most sites I've seen that sell zipper boots describe them as a more comfortable alternative to pull-ons. Anyone with experience wearing both styles who can share their experience with this?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zipper boots would seem to make sense because it eliminates unecessary stretch, blown gore panels, tedious buckles, etc, but I still haven't seen one executed well. Any one have any that they like?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the early 80s, I remember my dad had boots that zip up on the side, akin to the look of Chelseas.

Anyone know who makes those sort of boots now? I really like the look.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Back in the early 80s, I remember my dad had boots that zip up on the side, akin to the look of Chelseas.

Anyone know who makes those sort of boots now? I really like the look.

There's a ton of them around, just do a Google search for "zipper boots".

greyinla

Reaction score
I agree the pull-ons look better, but are they as comfortable to wear?
For cowboy boots, pull on is the way to go; a well-fitting pair should be as comfortable (or more so) than a pair of lace-up shoes. The main points of contact are the forefoot and the ankle; your leg isn't really supported by the shaft, and the ankle offers a bit of slip so they shouldn't be that difficult to get on or off.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
There's a ton of them around, just do a Google search for "zipper boots".

I would prefer if someone on the forum can make specific recommendations on esteemed brands, such as "JM Weston makes this model XX" or "I believe Corthay makes something like that." I know how to use google. Thanks, though.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
I would prefer if someone on the forum can make specific recommendations on esteemed brands, such as "JM Weston makes this model XX" or "I believe Corthay makes something like that." I know how to use google. Thanks, though.

I think it would be easier to provide names of brands and makers if you specified what kind of boots you were looking for, stylewise (i.e. dressy, casual, western, rural, military, etc..). Zipper boots is just a construction method/a way of solving a practical problem, there are so many varities in styles.

The one I posted is made by Lucchese (hand-crafted at $499 or so).

nordicstyle

Reaction score
By the way, does anyone know if the zippers are (easily) replacable on boots like these? If I'm putting down half a k on a pair of boots I would like them to last (in experience, zippers typically is the first thing to go).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
I think it would be easier to provide names of brands and makers if you specified what kind of boots you were looking for, stylewise (i.e. dressy, casual, western, rural, military, etc..). Zipper boots is just a construction method/a way of solving a practical problem, there are so many varities in styles.

The one I posted is made by Lucchese (hand-crafted at $499 or so).

I was probably unclear with my prior post. I would be interested in chelsea-type boots with the side zipper rather than the elastic on both sides. But no intentions to hijack your thread.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine too!

coverto

Reaction score
Zippered cowboy boots would be considered in poor taste in most cowboy-boot-wearing circles, to put it nicely. To my eyes, that pair of zippered cowboy boots is jarring at best. For a female, maybe it's a forgivable offense. But in Texas, men have been hanged for less. Although you'd probably get away with it in Norway without a problem, you can no longer claim blissful ignorance as of reading this thread. So if you don't feel you're ready for the real thing, I'd advise you to get a pair of zipper boots that aren't cowboy boots. This is not a time to *****foot around.

And to answer your question, cowboy boots are as comfortable as hell - every bit as, if not more than, zipper boots. Depends on the pair, really. I wear cowboy boots most days. If you've never experienced them, you owe it to yourself. Sure, my pair of zippered disco boots is easier to get on and off, but that's what the ladies are for, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads