• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Z Zegna fit vs. E Zegna fit

samkl

Reaction score
Context: I just bought my first suit (Ralph Lauren Black Label on sale) a couple weeks ago, and when I went back to the department store to have it tailored, the salesman and tailor told me it was just not a good fit. Among other problems, the shoulders were just too broad and too padded. It looked weird.

The salesman then brought out a Z Zegna, which fit very well, and an Ermenegildo Zegna "Torino fit," which also fit very well. (I didn't buy either, since they weren't on sale.)

My questions: are Z Zegna suits all the same fit? If so, which of the Emenegildo Zegna cuts are most like Z Zegna (besides Torino)? Any other brands with a similar fit?

yanagi

Reaction score

Context: I just bought my first suit (Ralph Lauren Black Label on sale) a couple weeks ago, and when I went back to the department store to have it tailored, the salesman and tailor told me it was just not a good fit. Among other problems, the shoulders were just too broad and too padded. It looked weird.

The salesman then brought out a Z Zegna, which fit very well, and an Ermenegildo Zegna "Torino fit," which also fit very well. (I didn't buy either, since they weren't on sale.)

My questions: are Z Zegna suits all the same fit? If so, which of the Emenegildo Zegna cuts are most like Z Zegna (besides Torino)? Any other brands with a similar fit?

Can we see some photos of you in your RLBL suit?

samkl

Reaction score
Man, I wish I had some but I don't. But for reference, I'm 6'2, about 175. My shoulders aren't that broad, but not that narrow, and apparently (said the salesman) one shoulder is slightly lower than the other. One of my shoulder blades protrudes more than the other. (Who even knew that was a thing?) I also slouch a bit.

The result was that the RLBL's shoulders were a little too wide and structured. There was also some pulling around the button. On the back, it was wrinkly.

Oh, and the sleeves were too short, too. Don't know if that gives you anything to work with... but thanks for helping!

classicman

Reaction score
Samkl,

ZZegna is drop 8 cut.

You may want to try out Capri style jacket from E Zegna which is another drop 8 jacket.
http://www.zegna.com/us/fine-fabrics/trofeo-wool-suits-jackets.html

Also, you can look into Mila Easy jacket from E Zegna. It is drop 7 though.

You may also want to try ISAIA Gregory model which is also drop 8. It will feature a soft shoulder. If you are in US both Saks and NM carries it.

Wayward

Reaction score
ZZegna now has 2 cuts, a drop 8 and a drop 7. The drop 8 has very soft shoulders and tapered trousers. Its jacket would not look anything like an RLBL. I haven't had a chance to handle the new drop 7 model, but am guessing it would be similar to the discontinued City model, which had a more structured look. I would guess that's one you tried on.

The mainline E. Zegna currently has 2 base models, Torino (drop 8) and Milano (drop 7). They're almost the reversal of ZZegna. Whereas the ZZegna drop 8 has soft shoulders and the drop 7 (presumably) structured shoulders, in the mainline it's the Milano with soft shoulders and the Torino with strong shoulders. However, I think the RLBL is still most built-up for shoulder padding.

To answer your questions: No, ZZegna does not fit similarly to the mainline. ZZegna is more contemporary, so it's likely shorter and tighter. As for the mainline, since there are only 2 models, you won't really find anything similar to Torino other than, well, Torino.

One recommendation, if you're looking at the ZZegna, is Canali's 17xxx lines. Canali has a bunch of models (11xxx, 13xxx, 15xxx, 17xxx and 18xxx I think), and the 17000 lines have a somewhat structured look, while also being slightly trimmer. I would also suggest looking at Paul Stuart, Samuelsohn or Corneliani if you can find them. The drop 7 models should all have stronger shoulders.

If you're 6'2", you're likely going to need to wear tall sizes. Instead of "R", look for suits with "L" instead. Sleeves can normally be lengthened; it's the jacket length that can create problems.

Last edited:

samkl

Reaction score
Great, thanks a ton for this. Now the question is which of the ZZegna's I tried on in the store. Guess I have to actually get off the computer and try on some suits now.

Wayward

Reaction score

Great, thanks a ton for this. Now the question is which of the ZZegna's I tried on in the store. Guess I have to actually get off the computer and try on some suits now.

This is an educated guess, but as I had pointed out, if the ZZegna you had tried on looked anything remotely like an RLBL in terms of a strong shoulder line, then it probably wasn't the Drop 8. Also, quite honestly, for the retail price of a ZZegna you can do a lot better.

Yeah, the key is to be patient and try different suits. It's fine for people to recommend brands and everything, but you need to find a cut that fits your specific body. Also, you'll find that your tastes may change. For a while I was obsessed with soft shoulders like the Zegna Milano, but now all of my suits have much straighter shoulder lines.

Last edited:

samkl

Reaction score
The salesman was trying to tell me that the shoulder was way too strong on the RLBL, which leads me to believe that maybe I was actually looking at the Z Zegna drop 8.

samkl

Reaction score
And yes I agree--I think the list price of the Z Zegna was something like $1200, discounted to $900. That sounded crazy to me considering I got the full canvassed RLBL for $675.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads