• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your shaving set..?

Aristocrat

Reaction score
What is in your shaving set, and what brands is the best?
Do you use a badger brush?
I don't know nothing about this so please help me!

AdamG

Reaction score
I've got a Mack 3 Turbo, a badger brush, a plastic bowl for making lather and Body Shop shaving cream.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Bearing in mind that not all of these are used every time I shave (some coming into play only on weekends or when I can spend a bit more time with the shaving ritual)
1. Standard Mach III razor
2. Custom amboyna burl shaving set (lidded bowl filled at the moment with Truefitt and Hill Grafton shaving cream, badger brush and amboyna handle attached to an old Gillette double edge)
3. Small Merkur 'mustache razor" for negotiating around goatee

Clark

Reaction score
I use a Mach 3 razor, a Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shaving soap (wooden bowl) and a badger brush. When you get used to it, it only takes about 10 minutes to shave.

Reaction score
merkur hd with feather blades
crabtree & evelyn best badger brush
merkur brush/razor stand
ceramic shaving bowl

heartworm

Reaction score
Vintage Gillette double-edge or a vintage straight (I own several)
Taylor of Old Bond St. cream (Sandalwood or Shave Shop) or Truefitt&Hill once in a while.
Nancy Boy aftershave.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While a little pricier, I think Shavemac badger brushes are great. I have 3, one in each handmade grade: pure, finest, silvertip. If you're only planning on one brush, then definitely go Finest aka Super. I also use double edge razors and various creams. Kiss My Face shaving cream is probably the best bang for the buck, and lathers wonderfully with a brush.

Swann

Reaction score
I use a Mach 3 razor, a badger shaving brush and a shaving soap from Trumpers (Sandalwood). The shaving soaps from Dr. Harris are also fine.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taylor's of Old Bond Street Lavender Soap
Vulfix Super Badger Brush
Merkur Heavy Classic DE with Feather blades
Set of 4 vintage straight razors encompassing: Garant Paris, Puma, and two English makes
Alum block
Brave Soldier Shaving Balm
Razor strop

phil47

Reaction score
Merkur Progress adjustable safety razor
Israeli-made no-name blades from eBay or Derby blades
Rooney "Silvertip" brush
I have about a dozen different lather shave creams and soaps; my favorites are Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar, Speick (from Germany), and Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna.

There's a guy on YouTube that has a channel with a whole bunch of videos about traditional shaving: http://www.youtube.com/shavetutor

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
While a little pricier, I think Shavemac badger brushes are great. I have 3, one in each handmade grade: pure, finest, silvertip. If you're only planning on one brush, then definitely go Finest aka Super.

I also use double edge razors and various creams. Kiss My Face shaving cream is probably the best bang for the buck, and lathers wonderfully with a brush.

I also have a Shavemac. VERY nice. I had a Vulfix before that 3was also very nice.

My current favourites:
Arran Vetiver (discontinued
frown.gif
)
Trumper's Rose
Trumper's Violet

Favourite blades are the Feather platinum blades. The Israel-made Personna are decent but I prefer the Feathers. The Swedish Gilette did not agree with me, the Merkur Platinum were ok...
My DE is a bog-standard Merkur HD.

Rolo

Reaction score
Feather Artist Club RG Teak
Muehle-Pinsel Best Badger briar wood and Omega boar bristle
Proraso Green

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merkur HD w/ Feather DE Blades
Truefitt & Hill super badger (made by Vulfix?)
Derby Lavender cream or Mama Bear's Hydrogen soap
Nancy Boy Signature aftershave balm

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merkur HD with feathers.
Proraso shaving cream + pre/post cream for afterwards.

heartworm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Taylor's of Old Bond Street Lavender Soap
Vulfix Super Badger Brush
Merkur Heavy Classic DE with Feather blades
Set of 4 vintage straight razors encompassing: Garant Paris, Puma, and two English makes
Alum block
Brave Soldier Shaving Balm
Razor strop

What are the english straights you own? I'm currently working on restoring a Crown & Sword extra hollow ground.

Taylor's make some great products, I visited their shop when I was in London last week... There's just too much good stuff in there. I love the St. James quarter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads