• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your dream bespoke suit

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm about ready to get my first suit done up in a good English fabric, so I want to make sure I don't forget anything and screw something up like I did with the first two suits that I had made. I don't need to make the thread just about myself though, so let's hear it. If you are making your dream suit, what features would it have? What are the things you can't live without, and what new things would you like to try? Also, what purpose would your suit be for (casual, business, etc.)?

So far I think that I'd want on the jacket:
-four functional sleeve buttons
-a 3-roll-2 with slim notch lapels
-side vents with buttons to make it ventless
-an interesting lining (actually not sure since I might want this to be a summer-only suit, but inspired by LK's orange suit)
-flap pockets
-inside the flap pocket, have a smaller pocket for cell phone
-soft shoulders
-high arm holes
-close fit

For the trousers:
-flat front (no pleats)
-mid-atlantic cuff (I want people to be able to see the shoe but not quite my socks)
-side pockets made as double pockets, bit difficult to explain but keeps it from flaring the hips
-can't decide if it's better to have it be at the true waist or be more fashion forward and rest on the hips
-button fly, no zipper

Can't decide on the color exactly, but as it'll be mostly for summer with some use in spring and fall, I'm thinking mohair in a dark blue (not as dark as navy), a grayish-blue with some very subtle single-thread purple-lavender-purple stripes, or a dark blue with some subtle bright colors that only show when up close or hit with some light.

Also I'm short but an athletic build, so I'd like to make sure it will be a flattering cut.

Again, I'd love to hear of some things that aren't quite standard. I'll go in with my design next week, but I'd love to hear what you'd put into your suit, whatever the purpose.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone link me to LK's orange suit?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trex
People here tend to favour not having belt loops on your trousers

Not necessarily.

I certainly mix this, some with loops, others with braces, fish tail back and very high rise.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Not necessarily.

I certainly mix this, some with loops, others with braces, fish tail back and very high rise.

+1

Not sure where he got that impression from.

DandySF

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't want the cell phone pocket located within the jacket's interior? This location would better conceal it.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Buttons to close the side vents? Unnecessary and potentially disastrous, IMO.

It's about as unnecessary as functional sleeve buttons. They work fine on my single vent jacket, but I'd like to know what is potentially disastrous about it so that I can go ahead and drop the idea. Also not a fan of braces even though they work much better than a belt. For some reason when I put my cell phone in my interior pockets, either it sticks out and ruins the lines of the jacket, or it is too hard for me to reach quickly.

As I've said, this is the first time I'm going in to a place actually knowing what I should get, but I'd like to make sure I don't forget anything.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
It's about as unnecessary as functional sleeve buttons. They work fine on my single vent jacket, but I'd like to know what is potentially disastrous about it so that I can go ahead and drop the idea. Also not a fan of braces even though they work much better than a belt. For some reason when I put my cell phone in my interior pockets, either it sticks out and ruins the lines of the jacket, or it is too hard for me to reach quickly.

As I've said, this is the first time I'm going in to a place actually knowing what I should get, but I'd like to make sure I don't forget anything.

I'd imagine that when you sit down, there would always be 2 things digging into your behind. Also, the chance of the button pulling on the fabric as you're sitting seems a distinct possibility to me.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
I'd imagine that when you sit down, there would always be 2 things digging into your behind. Also, the chance of the button pulling on the fabric as you're sitting seems a distinct possibility to me.

Indeed. And won't the vent gape open between buttons? And what do you need a ventless coat for anyway? Tuxedos/dinner suits call for no vents, but apart from that I'd say it's unnecessary. Maybe some DB, but I think you're doing a SB suit, no?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't pick up some sartorial obssessions from others Sfers...
Pick a silhouette you like ,a great fabric and a very good tailor , they're the most important point and the rest are gimmicks...
Are you going for a notch lapel ,peak lapel,Tautz lapel?
Is it a sb or a db?
Straight pockets ,hacking pocket ,Ticket pocket?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doubting I'd ever really close the vents, just a small detail that I liked from one of the suits I picked up off the rack. There's no gap and it works just as it should on the suit I have that has it, but I never actually button it up.

It's just going to be a simple SB, notch lapel, no ticket pocket (don't feel I'm tall enough to make it work well), and haven't quite decided yet if I'll do straight or hacking pockets. Someone brought up a good point to me somewhere else though. Forgot that summer is hot as hell so it might be a good idea to only do half or quarter lining. Actually, do you think height really matters much on ticket pockets?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much of the styling is for you to decide no one can do so here. However the detail is for and you have most of it I think though clearly there are alternatives.

You don't mention inside jacket pockets - size and position bearing in mind you are NOT restricted to the standard offerings

For the trousers again back pockets, button and hole or flap, one , two or even no pockets. Front waistband fob pocket size etc or not at all. Indeed this can be outside at the waist band or inside at the top of it.

There are also various forms for the back and side adjusters of the trousers and the profile merits thought.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Much of the styling is for you to decide no one can do so here. However the detail is for and you have most of it I think though clearly there are alternatives.

You don't mention inside jacket pockets - size and position bearing in mind you are NOT restricted to the standard offerings

For the trousers again back pockets, button and hole or flap, one , two or even no pockets. Front waistband fob pocket size etc or not at all. Indeed this can be outside at the waist band or inside at the top of it.

There are also various forms for the back and side adjusters of the trousers and the profile merits thought.

Thanks, these are the kinds of things that are often overlooked and I'm glad that you brought them up to think about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads