• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your #1 style tip

mr.loverman

Reaction score
be fit and healthy.

where clothes that fit properly. use fit and color to compliment your body type. being stylish is all about finding what works for you.

have good grooming, posture and manners. clean and fresh is key.

avoid low quality items at all costs. cheap shoes/accessories can ruin an outfit.

where clothes that make you feel like a pimp. only buy things that scream yes!

transcend trends.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
be fit and healthy. have good grooming, posture and manners.
I agree with these two 100%. Clothes look better on a fit healthy body. Clothes look better on clean healthy skin. An outfit looks better when your smile is clean and healthy. Above all..... A nice outfit, worn on a jerk, looses its impact.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wierd, but if my skin is having a ****** week due to stress or something, I don't wear nice clothes or spend a lot of other time on my appearance. I feel like I'm just bringing more attention to the detail that's sub par if I elevate everything else.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
The secret is to avoid having a bad skin week.

Hydration is key. 64 oz of water a day, minimum. Then cleaning with a gentle cleanser (I prefer Neutrogena). An then using a moisturizer that has sunblock (I use L'Oreal).

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how healthy you are because if you can't show it off then people will never know. Fit is my #1 tip. Make sure stuff fits properly and isn't baggy and gross.

Cali

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Doesn't matter how healthy you are because if you can't show it off then people will never know. Fit is my #1 tip. Make sure stuff fits properly and isn't baggy and gross.

It is very telling that most of the time I hear people comment on how well a guy dresses it is because he wears tailored clothes. Get yourself a tailor and have them trim things to your body, even cheap clothes can look great when done properly.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
It is very telling that most of the time I hear people comment on how well a guy dresses it is because he wears tailored clothes. Get yourself a tailor and have them trim things to your body, even cheap clothes can look great when done properly.
+1, I don't even bother with nice fabrics anymore. Plus cheaper fabrics let me experiment with more looks. A $2k suit that doesn't fit looks way worse than a $75 one that does.

afaludi

Reaction score
My tip is dont forget that outerwear is just as important, if not more so than what you are wearing underneath. A fit coat or jacket is the first thing someone sees when you walk into a building on a cold day, on top of that only use scarfs when when it is chilly to cold out and paired with a jacket/coat never a teeshirt in the middle of summer

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Maybe I'm wierd, but if my skin is having a ****** week due to stress or something, I don't wear nice clothes or spend a lot of other time on my appearance. I feel like I'm just bringing more attention to the detail that's sub par if I elevate everything else.
This is exactly how I am. In fact, I've had terrible skin since saturday and have consequently worn baseball caps and old sneakers. I am definitaley not trying to draw attention to myself. Fortunitaley things are getting better and I should be able to leave my closet by tomorrow, wednesday the latest.

hayzum

Reaction score
True style is timeless. You should be responsible for something you wore ten years ago, so that when you look back at yourself, you are not aghast at the mess you were.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason

I do the same thing......if my skin looks bad I don't even bother with the rest of me. Therefore I take great advantage of my clear skin days.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best to stay wearing classic clothing. Go wild on your accessories that would best suit your personal style. Personally, I like classic tailored white shirts and navy or gray blazers or sport jackets. I pay more attention on my cuff links, ties, socks, belts, pocket squares, and SHOES!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads