• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You think I should fix it up?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I got a 1965 Ford Thunderbird as my first car. I really like it but it needs a lot of work. New paint, re-upholstored, re-chromed, and a few parts for the engine. It is a unique car and not one you see on the road everyday. If I would to go on with fixing it I would paint it black and re-upholster it black.

Heres a pick of what it looks like.(Not my actual car but the same thing and same color)

FrontRight.jpg

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd do it, after checking over the frame and other important parts to see that there's no rust. If it's structurally sound, and you have dough or the time, go for it. It's a cool car, man.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Just me, but I'd leave the color alone. Of the great things about classic cars is the ability of its paint to stand out from what's available today and still look good. You couldn't exactly get away with that kind of blue on a '04 Camry...
confused.gif

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Just me, but I'd leave the color alone. Of the great things about classic cars is the ability of its paint to stand out from what's available today and still look good.

I agree. I love the color.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
Great color.

Check for rust, especially on the frame. Take all of the carpets out and look for rust on the floor of the cab. Also, pay close attention to the drive train. Even one that looks like it's in good shape can be internally screwed.

One thing to really pay attention to is body filler. While helping my brother restore his '66 Chevelle, we found that the car had been in a fairly serious collision and the owner had filled the dents with massive amounts of filler (maybe 8 or 9 lbs in total). It's a pain ********** to get out, and it means that you will have considerable work patching holes.

Other than that, I would say you should do it. These old cars are a delight to see on the roads, and I would kill for one myself. Depending on your budget, you can upgrade the suspension and brakes, and you'd be surprised at how comfortable they are to drive.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yup, fix it.

Only real issue I would have is that you can expect this thing to get like four hundred yards to the gallon, so in these days of soaring fuel prices, it's going to cost you a bit as a get from A-to-B first car.

Just out of curiousity, what did it cost you?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
You couldn't exactly get away with that kind of blue on a '04 Camry...
confused.gif

Your coral pink Hyundai Accent would indicate otherwise.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Your coral pink Hyundai Accent would indicate otherwise.

I don't even know what coral pink looks like.
eh.gif

Conrad

Reaction score
if you have the skills or the desire to learn, yes, do it. it's a good experience and alot of fun.

However, if you're going to have to pay someone to do it, be prepared to have DEEP pockets.

I have a '67 suicide door T-bird I'm doing, and am only about $3,000 deep in. if someone was doing the work, i guarantee I'd be 15K into it. There hasn;t been a lot of materials needed, just A LOT of time.

ms244

Reaction score
If you don't want a show paint job, you can actually paint it yourself.

Older cars (pre 1970-73) used enamel paint and you can paint it yourself.

jkw

Reaction score
I'd say fix it if you have the materials/knowledge, and it doesn't sound like the hardest job. I think black would look cool in a menacing kind of way lol. However, I like brighter colours on muscle cars - it still looks strong. Candy Apple Red is one of my favourites, but I dunno if it would work for your car.

My dad drove a '57 in Beirut back in the day. White with red leather, complete with lucky bullethole...

I'm about to learn to drive, and these gas prices... it's something close to 9USD per gallon if you work it out!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads