• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another "Please critique my suit, SF pros!"

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the very slim lapels with the overall proportions of the jacket, but in general I think it looks good. If I had it and it fit me like that, I'd certainly wear it.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh come on boys, this is SF, we can be harsh(er) since this is to be one of his only suits. Sleeve pitch is a bit off, too much break, and lapels are way too narrow. In all honest, other than the lapel width, this is a pretty rocking OTR suit. God knows the first RLBL I started off with...but a first good suit is always a
teacha.gif
experience.

Barnabus

Reaction score
thats actually a pretty nice suit i like it alot
bigstar[1].gif

the rest of the outfit is nicely put together along with it as well

MiloX

Reaction score
yeah... I am totally not getting the op's reference to the shoes. I think they look great. Especially with this suit. The chestnut and grey look fantastic together.

heebalabala

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiloX
yeah... I am totally not getting the op's reference to the shoes. I think they look great. Especially with this suit. The chestnut and grey look fantastic together.
I mistakenly thought I'd get hammered because the toes aren't rounded and the style is a touch modern and elongated -- I'm pleasantly surprised by the positive feedback. I'm definitely happy with the color. I'll keep them in the rotation based on the feedback here -- thanks. Thanks to everyone for the constructive comments and feedback. I'll look into improving the seat if possible and bringing in the jacket body a bit. Would anyone have suggestions for a good color/style for a tie/PS combo with this gingham shirt? I was thinking maybe maroon or a shade of gray that would tie into the suit? And I'm assuming the tie should be on the narrow side given the narrow lapels, but is there a rule of thumb for how exactly narrow it needs to be in relation to the lapel size? Color/style suggestions for both business and social settings would be appreciated.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes ugly, lapels anemic. Weirdness with trouser in last photo. For next pose, stand with arms relaxed.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - not bad at all for RTW. I can see some points where they ran into trouble playing with block pattern that couldn't be compensated for at the factory (too time consuming, skill and labour intensive). The coat could still better into the small of the back/waist - could do with a touch more waist suppression. You see more severe problems on some very expensive bespoke garments. As for the narrow lapels, I like them. Yes, this is in fashion again thanks largely to Mad Men. Here is Roger Moore in The Saint:
Saint6.jpg
In fact, I am going to commit heresy by saying that being elegantly fashionable is a great thing. If Henry Poole on Savile Row have kept up with fashion, so why shouldn't we? After all, if Poole did continue to dress it's customers just as they did when they were first founded they would be pushing this as their "house style":
PrettyPups001.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks decent overall. The body looks a tad wide, even by Monogram standards. Combined with the shorter jacket, it gives the illusion that you weight more that I imagine you do.

The trouser seat is a bit strange, but not a big deal outside of the Forvm.

I would have the tailor slim the jacket. As it stands now, it simply looks too wide for the slim lapels (this coming from a big fan of the 60s aesthetic).

Reference:
top-row-1.jpg

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
looks good! coat looks a little awkward in the waist, but perhaps its the lighting/wind outside

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
looks good! coat looks a little awkward in the waist, but perhaps its the lighting/wind outside

agreed - the coat waist looks a bit loose. like the gingham

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
In fact, I am going to commit heresy by saying that being elegantly fashionable is a great thing. If Henry Poole on Savile Row have kept up with fashion, so why shouldn't we?

Because Henry Poole is a business in search of profit, and we are free men.

There's nothing elegant about aping GQ's penchant for moving lapels in or out. Narrow lapels might have had some novel interest for Edwardian suits, and in a different way for late 50s/early 60s suits, but now they only come off as a cold rehash. None of us advocate togas or frock coats for day wear--we simply say that changing lapel width is absurd on its face.

Also, remember that drape was elegantly fashionable.
devil.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stmny
Agreed, it looks and fits you great. Perhaps the suit could use a press. Details?

Isen't it a little loose on the waist?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To tell the truth, I find the jacket a bit baggy.
That used to be one of my worst problems with RTW.
With bespoke, my problem is rather the contrary: my tailor tends to make my jackets a bit to "slim fitting", and it looks fine when I try them on, but less so when I use them with a fat wallet in the inside pocket. Must remember to put the wallet into the pocket next time I have a fitting with the tailor.

onlinematt

Reaction score
My $0.02:
-lapels too slim
-jacket slightly too boxy
-pants need serious attention near the seat (look closely at what's happening in the 2nd and 4th photos)

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543
It looks better than probably any other "critique my fit" thread. Excellent suit, can we have details please?
+1 Well done. You clearly don't need much help from us. Only critique I can think of is maybe your shoulders are too big, but one looks perfect, the other looks like it might be too big. Your right shoulder is the one that might be too big. But its probably within acceptable shoulder fit standards. Any better is probably going to be bespoke or MTM. suit style OTOH...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teatree