• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yardwork

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ITT we complain about yardwork.

Or, depending upon your constitution, extol its joys.
rolleyes.gif

Had to mow the lawn for the first time this Spring. God, how I hate that ...
cloud.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
ITT we complain about yardwork.

Or, depending upon your constitution, extol its joys.
rolleyes.gif

Had to mow the lawn for the first time this Spring. God, how I hate that ...
cloud.gif

If you paid lower taxes you might be able to afford someone to do it for you. Just sayin'.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first time I cut grass was this time last year after I bought my house. I was 31 years old. I'm a pretty handy guy, so I thought I might be the type who enjoys yard work. I was wrong. I enjoy vegetable gardening, and I like it when my yard looks nice, but I hate cutting grass, weed whacking, edging, etc. It's awful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Last week the landscaping team forgot to blow off one of my side patios.
frown.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I too did the first mow of the season today.

But I don't hate yardwork. I kind of enjoy it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
The first time I cut grass was this time last year after I bought my house. I was 31 years old. I'm a pretty handy guy, so I thought I might be the type who enjoys yard work. I was wrong. I enjoy vegetable gardening, and I like it when my yard looks nice, but I hate cutting grass, weed whacking, edging, etc. It's awful.
Someone has to teach the kids how to do it
teacha.gif
Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I really enjoy cutting the grass
lol8[1].gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Someone has to teach the kids how to do it
teacha.gif

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment but I really enjoy cutting the grass
lol8[1].gif

laugh.gif

I've been asking MrsG when the little one can take over cutting grass since the first time I had to do it (he was approximately negative five months old at the time). She remains unconvinced that age three is appropriate.

I really thought I would enjoy it. Part of me wonders if the problem isn't my lawn. I live on a considerable hill, and my yard is an odd shape. I'm also convinced that I would be much more amenable to the whole ordeal if I had a sweet riding mower with a cup holder.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
laugh.gif

I've been asking MrsG when the little one can take over cutting grass since the first time I had to do it (he was approximately negative five months old at the time). She remains unconvinced that age three is appropriate.

I really thought I would enjoy it. Part of me wonders if the problem isn't my lawn. I live on a considerable hill, and my yard is an odd shape. I'm also convinced that I would be much more amenable to the whole ordeal if I had a sweet riding mower with a cup holder.

If you're lucky, your son will be better than I was
I was sick of mowing the grass by the time I was 12. I broke a mower. Parents replaced it. Whoops, broke it again. Sorry guys. Maybe you should take over mowing. Parents replaced it. Broke that mower too. Parents made me replace it. Broke that mower. Parents borrowed an old no-engine rotary blade mower from my grandma. Made me finish out the summer cutting our 1.5 acres on that. They still laugh at how I would spend 5 hours twice a week mowing the yard with that thing, cussing the entire time.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I too did the first mow of the season today.

But I don't hate yardwork. I kind of enjoy it.

This. Bought a house last November, ordered a mower last week, it showed up Friday, I mowed and trimmed in just over an hour yesterday. Maybe it helps that I have a perfectly level little 6000 sq ft yard in a city rather than serious acreage with literal tons of grass to mow, but it's a nice time to zone out and focus on doing something simple very well.

I look forward to next year (post-wedding) when I'll have time to focus on turning the backyard from creeping charlie to actual turf and doing something about the dandelion infestation.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I'm a freak about yardwork. I love it. Honestly. I even do my next door neighbor's yard. Grab a beer and a cozie, radio and headphones, and go. Love it to death. Not that this is a good thing, but I typically spend more per year on landscaping than on the interior of my home.

Also - I don't get why so many people have a gym membership AND a bunch of powertools. I have a push mower, a slingblade, handsaw, etc... Do everything by hand and get a great workout.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Made me finish out the summer cutting our 1.5 acres on that. They still laugh at how I would spend 5 hours twice a week mowing the yard with that thing, cussing the entire time.

I just thought about that and literally started LOLing. Hated having to bag leaves with my parents in the fall. Didn't mind lawn mowing.

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
get a great workout.
While I take great pride in my work, I am in it for the workout....I enjoy taking care of the trees. Peole have mentioned they think my place is a tree farm, it is not it is nature's gym.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you're lucky, your son will be better than I was
I was sick of mowing the grass by the time I was 12. I broke a mower. Parents replaced it. Whoops, broke it again. Sorry guys. Maybe you should take over mowing. Parents replaced it. Broke that mower too. Parents made me replace it. Broke that mower. Parents borrowed an old no-engine rotary blade mower from my grandma. Made me finish out the summer cutting our 1.5 acres on that. They still laugh at how I would spend 5 hours twice a week mowing the yard with that thing, cussing the entire time.

Holy ****. I mow my own yard (maybe .10 acres) with one of those, but I can't imagine mowing 1.5 acres with it. They don't cut worth a damn. The reactions I get while mowing with it are priceless. They range from sympathy to laughter to incredibly misplaced admiration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads