• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW Chan shirts came today - pics

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the whole I am very happy indeed. As a slim guy, I never have shirts that fit. They are all machine done, but I think the quality of the work seems high. I was surprised they don't put on gussets. Excuse the pics - it was folded in a box, hence some of the creases. The bottom of the shirt seems quite flared out. But, anyway, let me know what you think. What do you suggest for a first washing (and subsequently)? - I definitely don't want them to shrink as I think the fit shouldn't be any tighter. I generally just send my shirts to the cleaners and they do them (not by hand.)
17yn.jpg
28uq.jpg
38iy.jpg
47pw.jpg

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks pretty good. Definitely slim, but as long as it's not uncomfortable when you sit down (and your torso, etc. expands), then you should be OK. I doubt you'll need to worry about shrinkage at the cleaners, just don't gain weight.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice.  What kind of buttons are those?  Thick MOPs or regular MOPs?  How are they?

I dried my Chan shirt the first time I washed it, since I like even a little slimmer than it came out of the package.  It barely shrunk.  

If you think the shirt is slim, you'll end up getting used to it and will never want to get any other fit.  That's how it's been with me.  The slimmer shirt is more flattering on a thinner guy, and it's far more comfortable.

Oh, you are noticing the hip measurement for the "flare out." This is quite common with tapered shirts, in my experience. Unless you are wearing very low rise pants, it's not going to make much of a difference, though you could simply instruct them to reduce the hip measurement at the bottom for subsequent orders.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the collar looks like it will be tight if it shrinks even a little. how do you like it now?

also, if you want to know about sleeve length, it helps to post a picture of yourself with your arm bent, like if you were proposing a toast or adjusting eyeglasses. that's where many men's sleeves are noticeably too short.

the torso looks good to me.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking it looks as if the sleeves might be too short when he bends his arms.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - he did the collar 14.75 inches. I think I may change to 15 next time. Sleeves are perfect I think.

Are shoulders slightly too narrow, or looking good?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan cuts their sleeves perfectly, in my experience.

How can anyone tell collar tightness from those pictures?

The shoulders are tending toward the narrow side. They are fine, but could be moved out 1/8" or maybe 1/4" on each side and still be fine. It all depends on comfort, IMO.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - he did the collar 14.75 inches.  I think I may change to 15 next time.  Sleeves are perfect I think.  

Are shoulders slightly too narrow, or looking good?
i usually wait until after the 4th or 5th wash and dry before i make conclusions about fit.

i agree with johnny about the shoulders but they look fine as they are too.

edit: take that back, your shoulder seams look fine but i think your left shoulder (right on my screen) is a touch wider than the other. perhaps add an 1/8" on that side, but leave the other side alone.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On second thought, the collar does feel good.

So, yes: I think expand 1/8 inch either side on the shoulder and take the hip measurement in a bit and then it will be perfect.

Thanks everyone.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83,Feb. 08 2005,19:23
Yes - he did the collar 14.75 inches. I think I may change to 15 next time. Sleeves are perfect I think. Are shoulders slightly too narrow, or looking good?
i usually wait until after the 4th or 5th wash and dry before i make conclusions about fit. i agree with johnny about the shoulders but they look fine as they are too. edit: take that back, your shoulder seams look fine but i think your left shoulder (right on my screen) is a touch wider than the other. perhaps add an 1/8" on that side, but leave the other side alone.
I usually wait 3, but 4 or 5 wouldn't be a bad idea either. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads