• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you sacrifice your tailored, perfect fits for a more athletic body?

svelten

Reaction score
Wanted to pose this question after recently being inspired by a thread earlier on a gentleman who was looking for a workout plan that would not lead to him bulking up too much for fear of his jackets no longer fitting. I am going through the same issues - one of my suits is starting to get progressively tighter on me as I'm starting to get bigger on the chest and shoulders. While I didn't spend too much money on tailoring it, it still is a bit of a shame to have something fit so well a year ago soon become unwearable. So, let's say you have several suits, shirts and jackets (even pants for those heavy on leg-work) tailored to fit you perfectly, but you're skinny and you want to be proportional. For example, this chap with a 33" chest: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=148929. Or you're overweight and want to trim down, same concept. I imagine it will vary a lot based on how much a person cares about fitness and how long they have spent building up their wardrobe, but I wanted to see to what degree will someone who needs to bulk up or lose weight think, "I've invested too much time and effort into tailoring to fit my current body shape that it isn't worth it for me to hit the gym, for fear of ruining the fit of my entire wardrobe".

Pastor_x

Reaction score
I'll face this dilemma soon. I'm gaining +1 size every 6 month. I'll choose muscles for sure. So now i'm trying to invest less in clothing but more in shoes.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent rather allot of time gaining muscle at the gym while I was working full time. An hour at the gym every weekday can do wonders, but since I've gone back to school I've lost the muscle and gained bellyfat!

I'm taking the view that I'd rather loose the stomach fat and keep my 39" chest than bulk up again knowing that as soon as I stop working out for 6 months I'll loose any muscle growth.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started lifting again but I do high reps to make sure I don't turn into a meat head. When my shirt collar starts to feel tight, I know I've started to build up too much muscle (both back workouts and chest workouts tend to build up the neck a bit) and I dial it down.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've outgrown a number of tailored items through the shoulders, lats, traps and chest in the last year. As a result my wardrobe has shrunk to silly #'s.

I'm continuing to focus on physique over clothing right now... and probably for some time into the future.

Exit English

Reaction score
If you get in better shape clothing in general will look better on you whether its tailored or not. Maybe not so much with suits but almost everything else will. Instead of searching forever for the perfect tshirt to flatter your body shape, you just toss on an old Hanes shirt and you will look good.

Almost every time I see something I like in the WAYWRN thread the person is in good shape to begin with, and then everything else looks better because of it.

All these people who spend so much money on tailoring their clothes to fit their out of shape bodies needs to invest in a bike or a pair of running shoes and work out a little instead.

Im not the most in shape person myself by any means, but Im currently working on it. I also dont spend hundreds of dollars tailoring my clothes to fit my crappy shape.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People with too athletic bodies look really awkward in tailored clothing though. I think there is a reason why most suit models are skinny.

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Exit English
If you get in better shape clothing in general will look better on you whether its tailored or not. Maybe not so much with suits but almost everything else will. Instead of searching forever for the perfect tshirt to flatter your body shape, you just toss on an old Hanes shirt and you will look good.

Almost every time I see something I like in the WAYWRN thread the person is in good shape to begin with, and then everything else looks better because of it.

All these people who spend so much money on tailoring their clothes to fit their out of shape bodies needs to invest in a bike or a pair of running shoes and work out a little instead.

Im not the most in shape person myself by any means, but Im currently working on it. I also dont spend hundreds of dollars tailoring my clothes to fit my crappy shape.

x2!

I agree completely. I'd much rather be in shape and have more clothes fit poorly than out of shape (either fat or scrawny) with perfectly fitting clothing. Since I don't believe it's the clothes that make the man, but the man that makes the clothes. Yes, it's great to have well-fitting clothes, but ultimately, the better you look, the better your clothes look.

And why not invest in your body and health?

Additionally, what about the times when you aren't covered in clothing (in front of the mirror, in front of your significant other, or even just at the beach)... don't you want to look good then?

I'll take the perfect body over perfect clothing any day.

AlarmGuy79

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yeah, I have a job that requires my brain. I don't have much use for muscles.

If you don't keep your body healthy you won't be around long enough to use that brain. Put that brain to good use and read about the importance of weight/resistance training in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and healthy weight.

Just because you exercise with free weights does not magically make someone bulky. Use that brain and read something on the subject matter.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try setting your workout objective to gain lean muscles, rather than bulking up.

With lean muscles, you will look better, feel healthier, and best of all, your clothes will still fit.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we are on the topic of athletic body, does anyone remember which thread contain pictures of some Asian girl stretching?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads