• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you sacrifice your tailored, perfect fits for a more athletic body?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I would sacrifice my tailor for this athletic body:

nicky-whelan.jpg

Thank you.

- B

I'm sure Edwin won't put up too much fight.

vincerich

Reaction score
Considering that I have both a well fitting wardrobe and well-shaped and toned body, I wouldn't trade either. However, you would have to be quite the clothing queer to think, "I've invested too much time and effort into tailoring to fit my current body shape that it isn't worth it for me to hit the gym, for fear of ruining the fit of my entire wardrobe."

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
While we are on the topic of athletic body, does anyone remember which thread contain pictures of some Asian girl stretching?

What a sad display of virgindom....

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Tough question. Which helps more: a fit body that you can proudly show off without a shirt or your grail outfit? I would think the former, which is why I try not to spend too much on clothes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
While we are on the topic of athletic body, does anyone remember which thread contain pictures of some Asian girl stretching?

That person is neither Asian nor a girl. His SF handle is Sator.

- B

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Considering that I have both a well fitting wardrobe and well-shaped and toned body, I wouldn't trade either. However, you would have to be quite the clothing queer to think, "I've invested too much time and effort into tailoring to fit my current body shape that it isn't worth it for me to hit the gym, for fear of ruining the fit of my entire wardrobe."

Call me a clothing queer. If I get busy or miss some workouts I don't stress it. I just tell myself my slimmer fitting stuff will fit better. I do find my fit ebbs and flows in a range as I spend more or less time in the gym so I have some slimmer items, some slightly roomier items and some items that fall in the middle and just wear what is fitting best at the time. When I start pushing the limits of the roomier stuff I just use it as a cue to kick up the cardio which leans me out.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
What a sad display of virgindom....

I suppose it takes one to know one?

Don't worry, nobody dies a virgin. Life screws us all.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't work out and you'll change your shape.

If you workout you don't really need to bulk. Watch your diet.

If you do bulk/cut you'll end up with three wardrobe.

DocJott

Reaction score
I am currently loosing weight (up to 30 pounds). The result will be no-fitting bespoke and MTM suits and shirts. Would I do it again (after > 20 pounds already lost)? For sure! Even though most of my bespoke work looks like a sack now, overall, I am looking better now. And hey, I will get new suits and shirts and look perfect then!

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Yeah, I have a job that requires my brain. I don't have much use for muscles.
My great-grandfather made the same decision, and we haven't looked back since. Admittedly, I'd like to be better with lifting the odd bookcase or desk, but it wouldn't be much of an investment.

Capita

Reaction score
Luckily I am 19 so my wardrobe has not yet been built.

But I never miss a gym workout. I used to want to get insanely huge, wanted to weigh 200lbs extremely cut at 5'10, but now while I still focus on gaining size, I try to do it without the "Bulking" and increased waist sizes over the winter.

I think being fit is more important than clothes. Any skinny guy could get away with not going to the gym. But for the heavyset guys out there I know health is way more important than tailored fitting clothes just by living with parents/grandparents that struggle with weight and health problems.

Syl

Reaction score
The body you have now will change due to age. The clothes you have now will become out of fashion. Heck, your preferences will change on the whim.

Bottom line, don't try to keep things static because of a supposed investment (which tailored clothes are not!) Realize that things change, and that you need to change with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads