• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

worth buying a suit with a hole in it?

burnsy

Reaction score
so i recently picked up a new suit but got home and noticed a tiny hole on the back

the dilemma is that the suit fits well and was a steal
cost was roughly $150 after tax for a new hugo boss jam/sharp 2
i know this is question is regarded as a personal preference, but what do you guys think?

should i keep it since it was a steal, or return it and buy another suit

thanks in advance
suit was purchased for my upcoming graduation in june where i will be receiving my MBA

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to answer that without pics. Did you know it had the hole when you bought it? Seems like that must have been why it was so cheap.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes wool can be rewoven to cover the hole if it's small enough. But we are totally unable to help you without pics.

suiturself

Reaction score
Can you not exchange it? They should let you do a one for one swap even if you got a good deal on it at the time of purchase as long as you're within the prespecified window.

burnsy

Reaction score
i would love to post pictures, but unfortunately do not have access to a camera
the suit was supposedly altered before (hence the low price)

not technically a true hole as there is still some weaving present, which leads me to believe that the hole was caused from a snag
it is approximately 1mm to 1.5mm maximum in diameter

did not know it had a hole until recently (purchased 2 weeks ago)
i will be returning to the store tomorrow with hopes of receiving some credit OR possibly having it fixed by their tailor (if he/she is competent enough)

burnsy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suiturself
Can you not exchange it? They should let you do a one for one swap even if you got a good deal on it at the time of purchase as long as you're within the prespecified window.

i am in the prespecified window but am just wondering if its worth salvaging this opportunity
i'm 25 yo and have low cashflow/funds to spend on a 500+ suit
i do have an old suit but would like to sport something new

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you didn't know about it. Their tailor should be able to take care of it since it is so small.

blackjack

Reaction score
Look for "invisible mending", "invisible reweaving" or "French reweaving" services in your city. It's expensive but should be at least a fraction of the $150 you paid for the suit.

A before and after example:

Before:
reweaving2.jpg

After:
reweaving4.jpg

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone will notice a 1MM hole. I would just wear it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
Look for "invisible mending", "invisible reweaving" or "French reweaving" services in your city. It's expensive but should be at least a fraction of the $150 you paid for the suit.

A before and after example:

Before:
reweaving2.jpg

After:
reweaving4.jpg

this is very nice. i assume they pull some hidden extra fabric off the coat to reweave/fill in that hole.
how much is it exactly for a spot that large in the pic?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
but they will notice its hugo boss so i would just return it

Now, now...

burnsy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
but they will notice its hugo boss so i would just return it

sorry if its not up to your standards, but there is no point in purchasing an expensive suit if one cannot afford it

if i was positive that the suit would bring positive cashflow in the near future, i wouldn't think twice about this petty cash

trader

Reaction score
Where exactly is the hole? Have you considered the idea of removing the sleeve tag and placing it over the hole?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads