1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Disease?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pantisocrat, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

What do you guys think is the worst sex-related disease one can get at the age of 20-40, not married, with yearly job relocation? No, I don't have anything on me but just curious to know.

2. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

Anyone who doesn't say HIV/AIDS is wrong

3. jstupple19

jstupple19 Well-Known Member

+1

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

HIV

HEP C

Herpes Simplex 2

Herpes Simplex 1

HPV Warts

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

With 2011 meds, I might prefer to catch HIV before HEP C.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

realistically speaking, if you travel regularly there are more cooties you have to worry about than the ones you can avoid by wearing a rubber.

7. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

In addition to the others, you might be concerned about the kind that comes with 216 monthly payments...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    2 people like this.
  8. nootje

nootje Senior member

an exaustive list, tried that shit out huh? /JK

gonorrhea sounded particularly bad as well, a friend of mine thought he could light his cigarette with the tip of his dick when he caught that disease..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  9. gort

gort Senior member

Anything with a cure doesn't belong on the list!

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Gangrene of the penis

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Either AIDS or marriage.

12. willpower

willpower Senior member

Indeed. The viral ones are much harder to treat. There is immunization against Hep B and the Herpes one has been in the works for some years. For some reason it's the Herps that I fear catching.

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

What he said.

15. explicit

explicit Member

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

:uhoh:

What a choice!!!!

Even with 2011 meds , HIV is not an attractive option...

17. TeeKay

TeeKay Senior member

It's definitely HIV/AIDS, with untreated Syphillis(to the extent that it's progressed to neurosyphillis) a distant second.

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I had Hep C from a blood transfusion. This was before the blood supply was tested for the Hep C virus. Indeed there was no test for Hep C and it was called something like undifferentiated Hepatitis before the 1990s.

I probably contracted it in the 1970s and did not know I had it until a routine blood test in 2001 revealed elevated liver enzymes. So the dormancy period was about 30 years from contracting it till it was diagnosed! This is common and the amount of people from the Viet Nam era that are Hep C positive is huge.

Hep C is a retro - virus and involves 4 different genotypes. The hardest to treat is genotype 1 with the 3 other genotypes being easier to treat in varying degrees. The only treatment is basically Interferon ( a form of chemotherapy ). Other drugs to potentiate the Interferon are given and continue to get better. When I was treated, the potentiating drug was Ribavirin.

At first, Interferon alone was used for treatment, and success rates were under 50%. The first I heard of Hep C was when one of the Judd girls ( I think it was the Mom ) announced that she had it. It was said to be fatal but she was luckily a responder to the Interferon and was cured. Cured is defined as making the virus undetectable with standard Hep C blood tests after a year. Small amounts of the virus probably still remain.

Hep C is not a bad disease to have ( as long as you do not drink a lot ). There are very few if any symptoms. Some claim weakness and other symptoms, but most including me do not know they have the disease till it is revealed in a blood test.

AAMOF, when I was diagnosed in 2001, it was considered a valid option not to undergo Interferon treatment, but to monitor your liver enzymes and not drink. Studies have shown that the life span of those that had been infected in the 1970s were about the same for those that chose Interferon treatment and those that did not.

I was in good shape and had genotype 2 ( which responds well to Interferon ) and Ribavirin had just come out. The success rates for my type of Hep C had reached 80% and more. So I went ahead and did it.

By far the worst part of the experience was the Interferon Chemo treatment side effects. It was like a horrible flu for 6 months! Luckily, my treatment was only 6 months ( genotype 1 requires a year of treatment ). The best part of the cure was psychological. I did not feel any different ( as opposed to how I felt before treatment ) but it was wonderful to have the thought of having Hep C taken off my plate. If there is no recurrence after 1 year you are considered cured and I have been negative at 1 and 3 years, so my chances of a recurrence are less than 1%.

Long story short. It is much, much better to have Hep C than HIV IMO ( though I have never had HIV ) and I speak from the experience of having had Hep C.,

Finally, I would like to say that while it is probably possible for Hep C to be transmitted sexually, it is extremely rare. Almost 99% of cases come from blood transfusions and needle usage, with about 1% or less transmitted sexually. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hepatitis-c/AN00701 And now with the blood supply being tested for the Hep C virus there will be less cases of transmission by blood transfusion.

By no means is Hep C minor or a sure thing to be cured. There are some people who are termed non - responders and progression to cirrhosis and liver cancer can happen. Hep C is the #1 cause of liver transplants.

My advice. Do not contract any of the diseases! Also, BTW I had Herpes (what can I say, I was a Woodstock Free Love Guy ). Occasionally I would have Herpes outbreaks and they were very unpleasant. After the treatment with Interferon I never had another Herpes outbreak. So I guess that Interferon knocks out the Herpes virus too ( my Doctor agreed with this ). But by no means would I recommend Interferon to treat Herpes.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i've seen cases of rabies run its course in human patients. its a scary scary disease to even see.... these cases were in 3rd world countries so patients were basically locked up in a cell (for the hospital's safety).

basically the patient does all the stereo typical things just like a dog (foaming at the mouth, hydrophobia (fear of water), then manic stages, then a coma and death (usually something respiratory in nature).

its probably the worst disease to have (with the exception of some painful cancers) because there's no cure (after the neurological symptoms kick in) and well you turn into a rabid maniac that will bite -attack anyone and everyone around you so you have to be tied down until you go into a coma. Its extremely frightening and dangerous to observe in person.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  20. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I think he said a sex related disease. I guess if a girl has rabies and bites you, it would sort of be sexually transmitted:)