• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's 100 Best Restaurants List Released

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 17 Seconds
So I'm heading to NY next week on business. Wife is flying up for the weekend. If we wanted to hit a couple great places in NYC, where should we go? Daniel? Per Se? Momofuku? Definitely want a couple of nice recommendations, but also some great out-of-the-way joints too. Thanks in advance!
There are a ton of NYC recommendation threads.. I suggest you do a search for that one... maybe bump it if you are looking for updates. RE: Momofuku - I just find it hard to believe that a place in NYC is making better traditional Japanese noodles than a place in an ally in Tokyo - Is there something else I am missing? I've never been there.... But if a Hamburger place in Japan was in the top 100 in the world, I'd find that suspect.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
RE: Momofuku - I just find it hard to believe that a place in NYC is making better traditional Japanese noodles than a place in an ally in Tokyo - Is there something else I am missing? I've never been there.... But if a Hamburger place in Japan was in the top 100 in the world, I'd find that suspect.
You're missing the fact that Momofuku noodle bar is much more than just a noodle bar. Actually, they started off as just a noodle bar, and couldn't make any money, supposedly b/c they couldn't make great enough noodles to outdo anyplace in Tokyo. So they expanded. Started doing more foods, a lot of typical American foods done with a large Japanese or Korean influence. They were open late at night, so they quickly became a cook's hangout, and momentum kind of carried them to where they are today. How much of it is artificial press (people constantly hopping on Chang's dick) and how much of it is legitimately b/c it's a good restaurant is impossible to know. Chang is a smart enough guy to know that as long as he talks **** about someone or something famous in the food world once every few months, his restaurants will stay full.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
People have been talking for a year or so about TFL losing a Michelin star. I wonder if this will prompt that to happen.
Although I think that talk was when standards started slipping towards the end of Corey Lee's time there. I've heard it is back to true form with Hollingsworth at the helm.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You're missing the fact that Momofuku noodle bar is much more than just a noodle bar. Actually, they started off as just a noodle bar, and couldn't make any money, supposedly b/c they couldn't make great enough noodles to outdo anyplace in Tokyo.

That's the account in Chang's cookbook. Their main clientele back then were Chang's former kitchen colleagues who wanted a place to go late at night. He kind of got launched after a few reviews came out after he started making more than just noodles. I think the pork buns were the first hit.

Also, Noodle bar is very different than Ssam, which aspires to be a higher-end dining experience.

--Andre

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
WD-50 over Eleven Madison Park?????!?!
confused.gif

This list makes me sad.

And Ssam Bar instead of Ko?

svelten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
From a North America perspective, I would not have been surprised to see SOMETHING from Canada
Wasn't there some odd, remote, difficult-as-**** to locate restaurant called Eigensinn Farm near Toronto that was on the list at one point? Or has that closed down (hard to tell given its obscurity)... Also, S. Pellegrino's top 100 list has two Canadian restaurants - Rouge in Calgary and Langdon Hall in Cambridge. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1548982/

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New List tonight - no more El Bulli - any predictions?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully something from Canada will be in the top 50.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I believe we had one in the top 100 last year. I just wanna see progress!

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Noma 1, Alinea 2, French Laundry in the lower top 10.

Friend of a friend has been working at Noma for about a year or so. My friend (who is best friends with him) and I were talking about possibly going over to visit him this year. Would be unreal.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Friend of a friend has been working at Noma for about a year or so. My friend (who is best friends with him) and I were talking about possibly going over to visit him this year. Would be unreal.

No doubt. My old boss did a 1 year stage there. When he got back we went out to dinner and he told me all about. Just incredible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads