• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout Recovery Time

S. Paul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Here's the thing, with weight lifting and working everyone's got their own opinion on what's "right" and what's "best." I have heard people say 48 hours is enough and I have met people who swear up and down that you need 3 to 4 days to fully recover. My advice is go with 48 hours as a minimum and see what works best for you.

+1. You're going to hear all sorts of opinions and really just need to figure out what works for you. It seems like consensus is leaning towards at least 48hrs of rest.

FWIW, I take about 3 full days rather than 2 days before repeating a major muscle group. Chest with some shoulders on Tuesday means waiting until Friday for Shoulders and chest, for me.

gl,
SP

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Paul
+1. You're going to hear all sorts of opinions and really just need to figure out what works for you.

I agree. For most body parts, I take at least 48 hours, but I might deadlift every 7-10 days. When I DL, I usually max out and my back needs the extra time off. Sometimes I DL every other week. It works for me. I also don't squat more than twice a week.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
I'm wondering if 48 hours is enough recovery time. For example, if I go to the gym Monday night and do squats or bench press, can I that same exercise Wednesday night? Thanks!

It depends on your body. Often times people forget that you grow outside the gym, after you've torn down the muscle. Yes, if you're not sore...no if you are very sore.

If you do it right the first time, you should tear the muscle down to the point where it needs 72 hours to recover.

Squats and presses are heavy compound movements, and if youre pairing those exercices with additoinal movements, you should be able to hit them once per week.

Ex: Leg workout

Squats 5x10
Leg curl 5x12
Leg Press 5x8
Leg extension 5x15
Calf raises 5x10

Ex: Chest + tri workout
Bench press 5x10
Incline press 5x10
Fly 5x12
Cable fly 5x12

Tricep push downs 5x10
Close grip presses 5x10
Overhead tricep extensions 5x8-10

At that amount of volume, you might want to stick with one muscle group per day.

itsmemario

Reaction score
You can also try and do much less weight with more reps in those 48 hours, which can actually help decrease the recovery time and improve gains. Read this in an article of menshealth a while ago.

But yea, it really depends on how your muscles feel after your previous workout.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on your body. Often times people forget that you grow outside the gym, after you've torn down the muscle. Yes, if you're not sore...no if you are very sore.
Sometimes it is possible to work through the soreness which means that a longer recovery time actually isn't needed, where as other times this is not possible. This is why soreness is a poor indicator of necessary recovery time.
If you do it right the first time, you should tear the muscle down to the point where it needs 72 hours to recover. Squats and presses are heavy compound movements, and if youre pairing those exercices with additoinal movements, you should be able to hit them once per week.
I disagree with this as well. Recovery time has little to do with "doing it right the first time". Back when I first started lifting I was squatting three times a week with 15 lb jumps each time I lifted. The soreness was almost unbearable at first but I was able to work through it to the point where I would experience little or no soreness the following day. I was able to keep this up for I believe around 6 weeks before I had to lower the jumps and increase my recovery time (not because of soreness, although I did experience increased soreness towards the end, but rather because I simply wasn't able to maintain the jumps). Recovery time is primarily about plateauing and secondarily about soreness.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston

Ex: Chest + tri workout
Bench press 5x10
Incline press 5x10
Fly 5x12
Cable fly 5x12

Tricep push downs 5x10
Close grip presses 5x10
Overhead tricep extensions 5x8-10

150 reps of bench press? Jesus.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
150 reps of bench press? Jesus.

Well he does concentration. And with 10 reps each, that means lower weights. So thing sounds about right. If one does 5x5 program, it will be nuts to have a 150 reps total.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads