• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working buttonholes in trousers cuffs

PiPPo NYC

Reaction score
Hi

I am working on the details of my first bespoke suit. The trousers will be cuffed (2” likely) and I thought it would be nice having working buttonholes instead of having the cuffs stitched to the pants.

What do you guys think?

Also, I friend had tiny weights inside the cuffs to hold the pants down all the time. Comments?

PiPPo

satorstyle

Reaction score
I have buttons placed on my cuffs it's a great detail, but allows one to clean dust out of the cuffs a little easier as well. As far as weights I wouldn't suggest it.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than a weight, put one of those tough cloths that line the hem of your pants for durability and weight. I forget the exact term for it.... $(&@guard or something

Brendon

Reaction score
Pippo
I personally think it detracts and does not improve the trouser, so I would not worry about this detail, if someone is noticing the button on your cuffs 1 of four things
either a/Your suit cut is so poor that it does not catch attention.
b/ Your features are not particularly attractive and those in discussion with you would rather focus on your feet area
3/ You don't have enough to think about.
4/ You sell suits and you would like to start a trend to get buttons on trouser cuffs going.
My questions are ...where will you put the coffee cup holder on the suit? and how many should a good suit have?
Good luck with these serious deliberations
Brendon

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What a ******* turd. The man asked about a little button that holds the cuff, not a ******* coffee holder. You make no sense as you've just said the button detracts from the trouser yet that it should be unnoticeable. The OP asked a legit question and you asked one that makes you sound like an imbecile.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fashions come and go, and depending on how it is done is not a fashion. Some tailors put a button on as part of the seam of the leg and add a button to the cuff and people don't even know the buttons are there. It is also easy for cleaning. Seen it done another way, which I don't remember how. Having the buttons on the outside is for fashions, which are fun and how clothes have changed over time. Having two buttons on the inseam might not last and get bumped off.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi

I am working on the details of my first bespoke suit.  The trousers will be cuffed (2” likely) and I thought it would be nice having working buttonholes instead of having the cuffs stitched to the pants.

What do you guys think?

Also, I friend had tiny weights inside the cuffs to hold the pants down all the time. Comments?

PiPPo

No opinion on the foregoing, never gave the matter any thought, actually.

However, the matter of the weights in the trousers reminds that some men who carry a gun regularly while wearing a suit coat or sport coat do have weights sewn in the bottom of the lining to make it easier to "step" the coat (sweep it back) to access a gun on their hips.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^What a ******* turd. The man asked about a little button that holds the cuff, not a ******* coffee holder. You make no sense as you've just said the button detracts from the trouser yet that it should be unnoticeable. The OP asked a legit question and you asked one that makes you sound like an imbecile.

+2

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you clean your cuffs once a month or longer, its a small help.
but if you clean the cuffs every day, its a great help.
at the inseam area of the cuff you have 7 layers of cloth.
the button will double that thickness. thats on the two inseams.
it has happened sometimes that on extremely heavy cloth, the
two cuffs rub together and wear out. thats the worse that probably
will not happen to you. its just a thought.
but one thing you must do is have a cleaner that will listen to you.
when you tell him that he must not press the cuffs hard.
they should be pressed softly, so as not to break the buttons.
weights create extra thickness and should not be pressed too hard.

rengler22

Reaction score

Pippo 
I personally think it detracts and does not improve the trouser, so I would not worry about this detail, if someone is noticing the button on your cuffs 1 of four things
either a/Your suit cut is so poor that it does not catch attention.
b/ Your features are not particularly attractive and those in discussion with you  would rather focus on your feet area
3/ You don't have enough to think about.
4/ You sell suits and you would like to start a trend to get buttons on trouser cuffs going.
My questions are  ...where will you put the coffee cup holder on the suit? and how many should a good suit have?
Good luck with these serious deliberations
Brendon

Please be so kind as to shut the **** up.

Brendon

Reaction score
Yes perhaps that was a little strong and I apologise. A friend I was flying to see today passed away a few hours before I was due to get on the plane. Not that I am after any sympathy It has been a difficult day and it was a small attempt as some humour. However to justify my frustration, here is a guy Pippo that one one day is thinking of beating down his tailor from 3k to 2500, the next is enquiring about Dormeuil cloth #3000002 on this 300002 thread the next on a friends suit despite having just looked at the bunch book with a tailor prior and has leaped to buttons on the cuffs. Have you found a tailor yet? You may wish to advise those following Bespoke Math thread...Start there first my friend before you start adding bulk to the cuffs and extra work for the tailor you are going to then get to sharpen his pencil down $500. I thought from these posts that perhaps we had another of the Dormeuil Amadeus cheer squad of NY despite it being a mediocre cloth. One more time for you Pippo find the cut you like first which is the essence of Bespoke,then worry about the detail which is very secondary.
Brendon

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some harsh posts here from surprising sources but the buttons are a very good idea and I have now had those on my last two bespoke suits, the weights seem unnecessary if the suits fit which bespoke should.

This said I do notice Brendon's summary of the OP's recent posts and this level of detail is unreasonable if you are intent on upsetting your tailor as well by demanding he meets your idea of what his costs should be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads