• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

workhorse suit

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 workhorse suits are Hickey-Freeman MTM (LP 120s) and Canali MTM (Vitale Barberis 100s).

Panzer
To my knowledge, Canali does not offer MTM service. They have mix and match service (i.e you get 46R jacket with 40R pants)

bryce330

Reaction score
Unless you're wedded to Italian clothes, go to an American manufacturer for a "workhorse suit."  

In the middle to upper range that includes Brooks Bros., J. Press, Paul Stuart, and Hickey Freeman.

You will need a strong cloth with some weight.  The featherweight suits will not last.  Do not get anything under 10 oz.  As a general rule the English cloths are sturdier than the Italian ones.  Also do not go for super fine cloths.  Nothing over 100.  An 80's will be fine.

If you're buying off the rack, tell your salesman that you want a workhorse and a "suit that will wear like iron."  If you have a good salesman and good shop, you'll find these in your price range.

Good luck.
I think an 80's might be a little too austere. Assuming your job does not involve physical labor or extensive travel, anything up to 120s or 130s should be fine. Also, I don't know why a workhouse suit necessarily equates to American Trad styling.

If you are looking to spend in the $800-1200 range, I would go with Chan since you can pick out an appropriate fabric and choose the cut and styling you prefer.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think Canali is a great choice for the suit you're looking for. Corneliani also.. they seem to offer some of the best business-esque suits you can possibly find for the price. "Workhorse" makes it sound like youre gonna take it out after work and whack it with a bat to make sure to get all the dust out. I imagine this isn't the truth, so I think s120s would be a good choice. However, I may just be submitting to a confirmation bias.
biggrin.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you could get away with S120s, I have a belvest suit that is pretty much S120/S130 material and I wear it probably the second most of my suits, and its held up quite well.

If you are having something made (say, by Chan) I would recommend getting 2 pairs of pants.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are both nice, although I would go with the Oxxford over the Canali, which isn't especially well priced IMO. It's very easy to get Oxxford stuff on ebay for low prices, as there is alot of it out there in thrift stores and people like to flip it. I have bought many Oxxford suits, some NWT, for $80-200.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I took the leap and bought the Oxxford. Eeeks. I hope it's an okay suit. $120 seems too cheap for an Oxxford suit.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it'll be a nice suit. Jeez, someone pressed the hell of out it though...try a little steam.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ Mar. 01 2005,12:46) My 2 workhorse suits are Hickey-Freeman MTM (LP 120s) and Canali MTM (Vitale Barberis 100s). Panzer
To my knowledge, Canali does not offer MTM service. Â They have mix and match service (i.e you get 46R jacket with 40R pants)
Nope - select stores in NYC and LA offer Canali MTM

regularjoe

Reaction score
Whaddya mean?  How can you tell?
There's no belly to the lapel - also, it ought to extend to the topmost button instead of being "folded over" above it.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I just picked up the Oxxford, and am seriously considering the second suit. But, I really need a navy for daily wear. I don't want something expensive or overly fancy - I just need a durable, handsome navy suit. I am seriously considering this one too: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....MEWA:IT

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....13&rd=1 This is very similar to the Oxxford navy suit that I wear. It's listed as a 38R but measures as a 39-40R. Lots of nice Oxxford stuff on ebay now, if I were in the market for more suits, I'd be all over some of them. That Isaia suit looks pretty nice, not sure how versatile it is with its color/pattern though.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Thanks drizz... I put a bid on it.

The only thing that concerns me is how much I've heard about Oxxford being more of a "boxy" cut. Do they pad their shoulders? Is it possible to have a tailor bring in the sides at the waist?

Thanks for the link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads