Woolite Dark For Dark Denim?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by allcapitan, Mar 6, 2007.

1. allcapitan

allcapitan Senior member

I've read some previous posts which state that Woolite Dark is effective for keeping black items black. This sounds great for my t's and shirts. Can I use Woolite Dark to retain the indigo in denim? A single wash, and especially a second, has turned some very dark denim into streaky medium blue denim. I'd like to retain as much indigo as possible while also washing my jeans at least once or twice a year. Is Woolite Dark a good choice for such purposes?

Also, is Woolite Dark effective for eliminating odors from clothing? Thanks in advance.

Allcap

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I like Woolite, but I've never really tried the Dark on nice denim. Works fine on my dress shirts though. Just be sure to hang dry, the dryer is what causes teh most fading.

3. GoodHustle

GoodHustle Member

I think Woolite Dark is a decent substitute for vegetable based detergents like Dr. Bronners. I've soaked a pair of jeans with a little bit of woolite dark and it definitely helped eliminate the odors, and the jeans lost very little indigo.

Edit: I forgot to mention that not agitating jeans while washing or soaking helps to prevent indigo loss.

4. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

I just did my first hard wash on a pair of Eternals with Cheer Dark (seemingly the same as Woolite, don't know why my mom bought Cheer this time).

Anyhow, they stayed VERY dark. IDK if this is Eternals MO, but when I did my RRDG they lightened up alot with regular Tide. I would love to use a Bronners or any other castille (I believe is the word) soap, but can not find any here.

5. ang_kangkong

ang_kangkong Senior member

I remember reading ringring saying any detergent w/out brighteners are fine. I also saw a guy wash his LVC with one of the dark detergents and he's happy with the results.

BiG also sells 2step detergent just for cold-washing jeans the second step is an anti-bacterial soak or something. I think DDML has used it.

6. knucks

knucks Senior member

I used it on my Crate..didn't hurt.

7. oranger

oranger New Member

The instructions that come with APCs specifically suggest Woolite Black.

8. seoulfully

seoulfully Senior member

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

BiG also sells 2step detergent just for cold-washing jeans the second step is an anti-bacterial soak or something. I think DDML has used it.
    yessir, i use the two-step for my canes only. it is kinda nice, actually-----the second packet is a disinfectant, you can wash your jeans cold and still be assured that the nasties get got. for all my other jeans i use bronners. i would not hesitate to use cheer/woolite dark, though.

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Right. What's important is that the detergent doesn't have whiteners in it, because those will remove the natural color-cast that the fabric has. It will prevent a pair of jeans from taking on green, yellow or brown tones overtime.

However, iirc, the whiteners do not effect denim permanently, so a subsequent wash with Bronner's or a non-whitening detergent should remove a fair bit of them.

11. Dexstar

Dexstar Well-Known Member

where can i get bronners in LA?

12. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

where can i get bronners in LA?
    I'm not in LA, but pretty much any grocery store that places any emphasis on natural or organic products will likely carry it. I know Trader Joe's does, and their web site shows that they have several locations in LA. It's really easy to find-- just look for the label covered in borderline paranoid schizophrenic writings about God!

13. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

just look for the label covered in borderline paranoid schizophrenic writings about God!
    borderline?

and the writing is harder to read than a vaclav post on acid.

14. Dexstar

Dexstar Well-Known Member

cool
    thanks tundrafour

i was gonna stop by trader joes to check, but.... im lazy

but now that they have it for sure ill go today

washing my skulls tonight

15. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

Should I use woolite dark for all of my dark clothes?