• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wool pants & cycling to the office

poissa

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of threads concerning commuters. None of the questions have helped me decide if it is a bad idea to ride a cycle to the office. My commute would be in the vicinity of 4-6 miles depending on my ultimate move. My immediate concern is them wools. Will they retain their crease by the time I get to the office? I'll only ride on pristine days etc. And naturally when I return home I'll hang the trousers by the hem. It's possible I could roll my wools then put them together in the office. Just looking for guidance.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have money to burn then wear what you like. Super100's or higher won't be a good idea for cycling in. You also have to contend with chain grease. Best to roll your good pants in a backpack and wear beaters for the cycling. How would you deal with perspiration? This is just a bad idea.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear jeans for the journey and change into your offIce wear (and shower) upon arrival. To do otherwise would be crass stupidity.

Minarchist

Reaction score
I bike to the office most days in the summer; 8 miles each way. But I'd be crazy to try to do it in nice clothes -- it's all spandex. Then shower at the YMCA (conveniently located half a mile down from the office), and change when I get there with clothes conveniently brought on the one day a week I drive.

I suppose you could do it on a European-style touring bike, the kind you see old men tooling around on in Sweden, but you'd have to go like five miles an hour. That'd be a long commute.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minarchist
I bike to the office most days in the summer; 8 miles each way. But I'd be crazy to try to do it in nice clothes -- it's all spandex. Then shower at the YMCA (conveniently located half a mile down from the office), and change when I get there with clothes conveniently brought on the one day a week I drive.

I suppose you could do it on a European-style touring bike, the kind you see old men tooling around on in Sweden, but you'd have to go like five miles an hour. That'd be a long commute.

Thanks. It's good to know what those crazy Europeans do be dapper on their bikes. There's no way I see myself riding a cruiser soon but who knows. I'll just see how rolling the pants goes. Sounds like my pants will be getting pressed more frequently ;p Thanks for the suggestions.

Mr.P

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minarchist

What kind of bike do you use?

I used to cycle to work in cycling clothes, go straight to the locker room where I kept spare office clothes, take a shower, put on my suit and go up. Took an extra 30 minutes in the morning, though.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Wear jeans for the journey and change into your offIce wear (and shower) upon arrival. To do otherwise would be crass stupidity.
4-6 miles in jeans would chafe like mad. Check out Rapha and some of their technical gear in traditional fabrics, including wools. It's fairly pricey but they do some gorgeous gear that's great to ride in.

Minarchist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.P
What kind of bike do you use?

I used to cycle to work in cycling clothes, go straight to the locker room where I kept spare office clothes, take a shower, put on my suit and go up. Took an extra 30 minutes in the morning, though.

I use this one. Well, an older model, still has some Tiagra components. Threw some Shimano SPD-SL pedals on it.

It does take a bit longer, though for me I only have to wake up 15 minutes earlier. It takes me about half an hour do run the 8 miles on the bike, and easily 15 minutes in the car (stoplights, traffic, etc.). Totally worth it for keeping the ever-expanding gut in check.
smile.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
If you have money to burn then wear what you like. Super100's or higher won't be a good idea for cycling in. You also have to contend with chain grease. Best to roll your good pants in a backpack and wear beaters for the cycling. How would you deal with perspiration? This is just a bad idea.
Ditto. Shorts, and trousers in bag. Tbh, I dislike cycling to work. I would rather exercise in a slot where I can sweat, and it won't matter!

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this on my 'bent for a while. Just needed a strap on my right pant leg to keep it away from the chain. Worked, but I wasn't hurrying.

EuroCyclist

Reaction score
wear whatever is comfortable while riding then change at work.

i usually wear a pair of normal shorts and a cycling jersey in the summer and carry my work clothes in a backpack. my office has a locker room and shower where i can change. of course it takes an extra 15 minutes to get to the desk but well worth it. I would hate to ride in work clothes in this summer heat!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
4-6 miles in jeans would chafe like mad. Check out Rapha and some of their technical gear in traditional fabrics, including wools. It's fairly pricey but they do some gorgeous gear that's great to ride in.
Just wanted to plug Rapha. I fell in love with their Leather Town Gloves (http://www.rapha.cc/leather-town-gloves) and got 2 pair in their end of season sale (at £120.00 they are not cheap, the sale made it almost sane to purchase them). They are the most finely crafted, exquisite gloves I've ever had or seen; think "batman" form-fitting like fit and finish. I don't own anything else from them, but those gloves are so F'ing beautifully made that I'd recommend Rapha for anything else you had in mind. Oh, on a tangent - since those gloves are made by hand, one pair fit perfectly but the other pair was just a tad too snug. They no hassle swapped them out pronto and the next pair were, like the first, perfect. So double plug for their customer service too. I can't wait for the coming seasons to break them out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads