1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile > Red Wing Gentleman Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sockpuppets, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ispace

ispace Senior member

Would the 1000 Mile boots work with a pair of slim-straight jeans, like the Skull 5010XX's?

Of course, as long as they're not too sized down. The tops of the boots are quite fitted. These look slim straight but you may not want to roll up as high:

[​IMG]

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Bulbous toe shaft?
    Too narrow?
    Too hard to break in?

Are we talking Keds or are we talking the Red Wing Gentleman Travelers?

RESPECT THE GT.

And it will respect you back.

That is all.

3. supastylin

supastylin Active Member

This may be the dumbest question in the world but needs to be asked nonetheless:

Are you supposed to wear the 1000 mile boot with the leather tab attached to the shoe laces? I am referring to the one that comes attached to one of the shoes.

Obviously if it were made of plastic/paper I would throw it away, but I just want to make sure it's not there for a functional reason.

4. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Next is something from Alden, maybe Indy in chromexel (I hate the top stitching on the Indy boot though...not sure what to do).

Why would you consider getting something you hate?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

you really feel they are true to size? I'm a 12 in a lot of shoes, an 11.5 in Alden Indy and I took an 11 in the 1K Mile boot. These boots run huge. The quality is very high though, better then the GT for sure. Fit wasn't great for me so I no longer have these but a nice boot for sure.

The 1K Mile Boot runs big. I am a 12 in dress shoes and converse and an 11.5 in Alden Indy. I bought the 1K in brown in size 12 and they are way too big. I need to find another pair in 11.5 or 11.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I like the 1k much better.

7. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Damn can't decide between Tan and Brown Suggestions?

8. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

GT > 1000 mile boot. except for the lack of quick release eyelets. i hate that about the GTs.

Once they are broken in you will much prefer the vibram sole to the leather sole of the 1000 mile boots.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think the 1000 mile is better in every area but the soles. Wolves would be awesome with a vibram commando sole

1 person likes this.
  10. mikeeeey

mikeeeey Well-Known Member

The fit and fish on the wolverine seems better. The Wolverine is true to size and doesn't require much of a break in period. After wearing the GT for 2 weeks they tore my feet apart and still weren't broken in. The aesthetics of the wolverine appeal to me more than the GT, in particular the material and wooden styling of the sole. I'm normally an 11, the GT 10 fit my toes and heel but absolutely were too narrow in the middle.

Pics, well I could take some but there are photos of both readily available. They're similar, but having them side by side the Wolverine feels like a more quality shoe. Also, I prefer the top few lace holders to be open vs eyelet on the GT, they're easier to put on and off.

Strange, I keep hearing about how the GT will break you feet before you break it in, but mine was strangely easy to break in. No blisters, no torn skin, nothing.

I even wore it for a road trip when it was merely 3 days since first wear.

I don't wear boots often prior to the GT. The only time I wore boots before that was when I was in military service. That pair really broke my feet before it breaks in.

To me, the GT is just awesome. Having said that, I don't mind a Wolverine to have a feel of how it really is .

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I think the 1000 mile is better in every area but the soles. Wolves would be awesome with a vibram commando sole
    That's easy enough to have done to them.

12. poorman

poorman Senior member

Perhaps. I don't have fantastic arches but the foo foo corrective ones are way too thick to use. I hopped on one of those footmapping machines at CVS that measures your foot pressure, etc and it recommended the "540" orthotic inserts. I bought them but they don't fit well in any of my shoes.

In the past week I have purchased the wolverine 1000's, Timberland tackheads and a pair of allen edmonds, all of which fit just fine.

You didn't get those Tackhead's off eBay did you?

13. michidan

michidan New Member

My first post here, and I thought I'd share my experience with both the Red Wing GT and the Wolverine 1k. I've had the GT in black cherry for about a year and a half now, and picked up the Wolverine just today in the rust color.

Sizing: The Red Wing feels narrower, even though it probably isn't. I think this has to do with the stiffness of the leather compared to the Cromexcel on the Wolverine. The Red Wing also seems to run 1/2 a size bigger than the Wolverine. I have an 8.5 D in the GT and a 9 D in the Wolverine. Length is about the same, but the toebox on the Red Wing is a bit wider on the outside.

Feel: The GT is heavier and feels heavier. By a lot. I'm exhausted by a day of walking around in this boot. The Wolverine, however, feels much lighter. I just walked a couple miles around downtown San Francisco in them and I'm feeling just fine. In addition, the heel counter on the GT is harder, and so your knees, hips, and spine feel each step a little more than you do in the Wolverine.

Aesthetic: We'll see how the Wolverine 1k breaks in, but the shape is definitely more elegant, to my eyes, than the GT. The GT is much more rounded, and in the 1.5 years I've owned it, the toe area remains kinda bulbous. I don't think it's too extreme to be a major concern, however, and shoe trees help. The color on the GT is far more even (consistent), and takes a nice shine. The Chromexcel on the Wolverine is, as you all know, duller and waxier. I expect it to develop a nice patina. My GTs have gotten a little scuffed over time, but some nice burgundy boot creme wax keeps them looking fine.

In conclusion, the Red Wing Gentleman Traveler is a heavier, less comfortable boot. They took a solid three weeks to break in, but have never been as comfortable as the Wolverine 1k is, even brand new. I prefer the commando half-sole on the Red Wing, and will probably have a cobbler put one on my Wolverines eventually.

P.S. I seriously considered the Alden Indy boot. I don't intend to start a war here, but I think the popularity of that shoe is based mostly on goodwill from another era. Every example I looked at had some defect in the stitching. Different examples of the same boot in the same size with the same leather would fit differently. I have heard of quality control issues at Alden from others on this forum, but I didn't think these would be so obvious. Finally, the Alden has a rather bulbous rear and made me look like I had cankles. I wanted to like that boot. I really did. Maybe someday I'll find a pair without the problems I observed, but until then I'm very pleased with my Wolverines.

14. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I have the GT in black cherry, but will admit to really liking the look of the dark brown 1000. I do find the GT rather narrow (and I have a narrow foot), but they broke in pretty easily and I like the commando sole. I find them very comfortable. I have enough nice shoes with leather soles; I doubt I'd buy the 1000.

15. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

to me, they are both nice boots
    1000k is more of a nyc hipster type of boot, that looks cooler but not workable in real shitty conditions

GT is a badass workboot, no compromises no exceptions

GT wins

16. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

1000k is more of a nyc hipster type of boot, that looks cooler but not workable in real shitty conditions

GT wins

Completely disagree. The 1000 Mile is a solid boot, I've put it through it's paces and user Crane's put them through pretty much everything and they held up just fine.

17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

to me, they are both nice boots 1000k is more of a nyc hipster type of boot, that looks cooler but not workable in real shitty conditions GT is a badass workboot, no compromises no exceptions GT wins
    Go buy a pair and come out to my place for a while. You'll get to see how wrong you are by experience. I've been writing a review on 3 pairs of these boots and a little searching on the subject will show you what i put them through. NYC is a cake walk.
    Completely disagree. The 1000 Mile is a solid boot, I've put it through it's paces and user Crane's put them through pretty much everything and they held up just fine.
    Yep, it's muck season here. That pair of tan Addisons I just got is covered in dried MO muck and doing just fine. They got their first taste of fishing, 'shroom hunting, cornfield muck walking and a session at a rain soaked muck pit of an outdoor shooting range. They worked fine rounding up cattle and getting them to market last week as well. no wet feet and all is well. That pair I resoled would have been better for traction but hey got to have some excitement in life. LOL.

18. NefariousSabatour

NefariousSabatour Senior member

i have a pair of gts that i absolutely adore. it was between them and the 1000 miles. i picked the gts because i couldn't find anywhere to try the 1000 miles on, i liked the black cherry, and i got a screaming deal on them.

that said, when i finally got to try on a 1000 mile i was pretty blown away.

19. michidan

michidan New Member

GT wins

I actually agree that the GT seems more durable. The leather on both the sole and upper is thicker, and the whole outfit is heavier.

This, however, is actually why I prefer the 1k. The chromexcel leather seems tough enough for anything I'm likely to put it though, and I'll probably eventually have a grippier sole put on. Fit, finish, and comfort definitely win me over.

20. entrero

entrero Senior member

They called it the 1000 mile boot for a reason...