• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
They're exactly the same as last year. Although, the CXL on my pair this year is much stiffer and has more high/lows but I guess that's just a batch by batch thing.

Damn, that's disappointing to hear. The pictures on the Nordstrom website gave me the impression that they were going for a distressed sort of look, which I thought looked kind of cool. Certainly something different from their usual plain brown, at least.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn, that's disappointing to hear. The pictures on the Nordstrom website gave me the impression that they were going for a distressed sort of look, which I thought looked kind of cool. Certainly something different from their usual plain brown, at least. 

The pictures are accurate... The cxl is different from most cxl I've seen.

bbob2013

Reaction score
Just kopped the Wolvy McClean Boots at the Nordy's sale. Great price on these and they look great. Here are some pics:

So is the leather for the Nordstrom McClean currently different than the brown offered in 2014? Mine should arrive by the end of the week and I can conform if no one knows for sure.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is the leather for the Nordstrom McClean currently different than the brown offered in 2014? Mine should arrive by the end of the week and I can conform if no one knows for sure.

It's the same in that they're both CXL. Those pictures I posted above are from last year and it's the CXL we all know. I ended up selling those and buying a larger size this year and the CXL is very different. There are more highs/lows and crackling in the leather this year. It's more interesting I think. It's also stiffer and less soft.

bbob2013

Reaction score
@bl@ster

Thanks for the update, hope you don't think I was calling you out, that wasn't my intent. Just trying to figure out what kind of surprise I'm in store for!

Your original pictures are what sealed the deal and made this a buy for me.

Last edited:

ivan200000

Reaction score
Received my 1000-milers today, and I'm glad that I didn't go with the consensus to size down: the 12 is my normal size in shoes/boots and these Wolverines in 12 fit me perfectly.

Curious what dealer cost is on these. I bought this pair from a dealer off of the popular auction site new-in-box for $190 shipped...he can't be making much $$ on these at that price.

7strung

Reaction score
Ordered McCleans from Nordstrom

Not as red as regular 1000 mile brown. Thicker leather. Color lightens where flexed. One boot has a wrinkle pattern, not too bad kind of cool. One stitch has a small irregularity. I like them. They are 10.5. I measure 11 (ball of foot/arch size)

Brown 1000 Mile vs McClean Brown

Last edited:

ivan200000

Reaction score
My clearance rack 1k-Milers...

nevereast

Reaction score

Ordered McCleans from Nordstrom Not as red as regular 1000 mile brown. Thicker leather. Color lightens where flexed. One boot has a wrinkle pattern, not too bad kind of cool. One stitch has a small irregularity. I like them. They are 10.5. I measure 11 (ball of foot/arch size) Brown 1000 Mile vs McClean Brown
Dang those colors are real nice. Is this maybe horween Dublin or Predator leather?

stylewild

Reaction score
Hey all,

Spent many hours going through this thread over the past few days and learned a lot - not just about 1000 Mile boots themselves, but also about leather, cobbling, proper maintenance, sole replacements, half-soles and a variety of different boot brands.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed useful information - it was really very helpful. Thought the least I could do is register for an account and share some information...

My usual shoe size is US 10.5 or 11 and the US 10 in the 1000 Mile fit the best when I tried them on, although tighter 9.5 would have probably worked out just fine with a bit of break in. In other words, both were sufficiently roomy in the toe box area, it's the part at on top of the forefoot where the first few eyelets are where I felt the most difference in comfort.

I ended up purchasing a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile originals in brown for 40% from a shop in VT called Dear Lucy (http://www.dearlucy.com). Total came to $216 with $12 shipping included which is the best price I've been able to find. I dealt with Carrie over the phone and she was great. They are no longer going to be carrying men's shoes so the 40% sale will run until they're all gone and as of yesterday they still had a variety of sizes left in brown and black.

Good luck if you're after a pair and thanks again.

Last edited:

Chip Bellwood

Reaction score
The McClean boots they are selling now for the sale are not CXL. I just picked up a pair of the old McCleans from Nordstrom's rack and they are CXL.

adamdurbin

Reaction score
Haven't seen the new mcleans, but the old ones are definitely cxl and the leather looks different on the new ones in the pictures I've seen - more like horween Dublin.

Last edited:

nevereast

Reaction score

The McClean boots they are selling now for the sale are not CXL. I just picked up a pair of the old McCleans from Nordstrom's rack and they are CXL. 

Haven't seen the new mcleans, but the old ones are definitely cxl and the leather looks different on the new ones in the pictures I've seen - more like horween Dublin.

https://instagram.com/p/5s04VLpRgz/

Look at the burnishing / pull-up in this pic...I agree! This is not normal brown cxl.

I think they look real nice in this leather

Last edited:

ivan200000

Reaction score

Hey all, Spent many hours going through this thread over the past few days and learned a lot - not just about 1000 Mile boots themselves, but also about leather, cobbling, proper maintenance, sole replacements, half-soles and a variety of different boot brands. Thanks to everyone who has contributed useful information - it was really very helpful. Thought the least I could do is register for an account and share some information... My usual shoe size is US 10.5 or 11 and the US 10 in the 1000 Mile fit the best when I tried them on, although tighter 9.5 would have probably worked out just fine with a bit of break in. In other words, both were sufficiently roomy in the toe box area, it's the part at on top of the forefoot where the first few eyelets are where I felt the most difference in comfort. I ended up purchasing a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile originals in brown for 40% from a shop in VT called Dear Lucy (http://www.dearlucy.com). Total came to $216 with $12 shipping included which is the best price I've been able to find. I dealt with Carrie over the phone and she was great. They are no longer going to be carrying men's shoes so the 40% sale will run until they're all gone and as of yesterday they still had a variety of sizes left in brown and black. Good luck if you're after a pair and thanks again.
Hi, and congratulations on your Wolverines. I too just purchased a pair new-in-box, sight-unseen off of the popular auction site. I wear US 12 in nearly all shoes and sometimes 13 in tennis shoes/trainers/sneakers (depending on where you hail from). After a few try-ons, I'm thinking these Wolverines in 12 might be too snug. Do these stretch at all with wear? At this point, I wouldn't think of wearing them with anything but thin socks because they wouldn't be comfortable. I remember reading somewhere that the whole "sizing runs large" thing is usually on a bell curve, whereby the smallest & largest are more true to size. That's definitely been my experience. On those in-store shoe measuring things I am exactly a US 12, and this is the 5th or 6th pair of shoes I've bought where the online consensus is to size down, but my true size 12 has been correct every time (the jury is still out on these 1000 Milers).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads